Some like it hot! Chilli macarons filled with spiced soured cream

by Sunita on February 10, 2010

”Mum, did you know that the 14th of February is Valentines day? Are you going to give something to dad?”, asked Rengoni eagerly.”Well, I don’t think so. And I’m sure daddy doesn’t mind, he is not fond all this fuss anyway and thinks it just a commercial gimmick”. ”Well”, persisted Rengoni, ”How about, I draw a card, and then,dad can give it to you? How about that? Hmm?” I thought it was quite sweet of her to say so. But honestly, Dinesh would probably go into one of his tirades against the whole thing. Hell hath no fury as Dinesh, reminded of Valentines day ;-)

Personally, we have no problems with this celebration at all. If people can take time away from the busy schedules to spend time with their loved ones( which is rare for some, leading hectic lives, and through no fault of theirs), what is the harm in it? But, when it is implied that so and so chocolates and flowers and so and so gifts will only do to impress their sweethearts, I would rather look the other way. By all means celebrate it, if it gives one an excuse to steal a bit more time with that special person in your life. So, why not cook a special meal for that person, hold hands and go for walks, watch a movie together, put on some music and dance , or just  do something which one would otherwise find it hard to do on other days. Make it an excuse to ”be together”.

But all said and done, I guess it’s about whatever works best for everyone. After all, love has different definitions for everyone, so who am I to judge? As for us, on valentines day, there will be no chocolates or flowers or jewelry; there might be a swim and spa though, or a long drive or a walk, things which we really enjoy doing and are passionate about. No, we are not of the pessimistic kind, and we do make sure we tell each other how we feel, including those three, all too special words. Yes, one needs to hear those words from time to time. I know, I know, why do you need to say that you love someone when you can show it in so many ways. Well, I guess, that is our only indulgence, just a way of expressing what is already in abundance in our hearts.

But we CAN treat ourselves, can’t we? And these Hot chilli macarons filled with spiced soured cream is the thing to spice up any day and add the ”heat”. To be honest, macarons are probably the only things that I enjoy making as much as I dislike eating them; I find them way too sweet. But, the high that I get on seeing those feet appear is probably the only thing that keeps me going and urges me to make them again and again. Call it, feeding my ego, if you want to, and I won’t mind it at all :-)

This time, however, I did have quite a few of them. They were not cloyingly sweet, as the chillies helped in diverting the attention from the sweetness.

1 egg white at room temperature
a pinch of salt
2 tblsp of granulated sugar ( I used raw cane sugar)
1/2 C of icing sugar
4 T of ground almonds
2 tsp smoked paprika
1/3 tsp red chilli powder
crushed red chillies, for topping

For the filling-

A few tblsps of soured cream mixed with a little paprika

1. Beat the egg whites  along with the pinch of salt, with an electric beater till it forms soft peaks. And the granulated sugar and beat till the mixture forms stiff peaks.
  2. Mix together the almonds, icing sugar, chilli and paprika.
  3. Gradually add the almond mixture into the egg white mixture and fold in till everything is well incorporated. The mixture is ready when it flows easily from the spatula from a height (  not too runny though).
  4. Line a baking tray with parchment. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag and pipe out circles of 1 and 1/2 inches in diameter, keeping a space of at least 1 inch between them. Sprinkle a little crushed red chilies over half of the piped shells.Let them rest for at least 30 minutes to an hour or till the piped shells  feel dry to the touch.
  5. Pre heat the oven at 170 deg C. Reduce the heat to 150 deg C .
  6. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 15 minutes. Rotate the tray and bake for another 7 minutes.
  7. Let the macaron shells cool on the tray for a few minutes. Gently peel them off and transfer to a rack to cool completely.
  8. Sandwich equal sized macaron shells together with  a little of the soured cream mixture just before serving ( or they will turn soggy).

For more tips on macaron making, refer to my notes at the end of this post.

These macarons cause quite an explosion in the mouth. You bite into the crisp outer shell and then into the chewy insides by which time the heat kicks in and is then cooled by the soured cream filling. Didn’t I tell you they were HOT! You won’t stop at one.

And yes, these were made for mac attack #4 where the theme is valentines day.

Enjoy!

1 deeba February 11, 2010 at 7:45 am

These look absolutely delightful Sunita. You seem to have tamed these finicky creatures from day 1 and now have them as HOT as can be. I L♥V them all the way! Hopefully one day I shall churn them out like you too!
xo
(PS Tried to comment several times earlir, but kept getting redirected to StumbleUpon)

2 Sunita February 11, 2010 at 8:59 am

Thanks Deeba, glad you like them :-) As for yourself, you churn out so many goodies already!
I just came to know about the problem with the comments form; have fixed it and am glad everything is working now :-)

3 Happy Cook February 11, 2010 at 10:03 am

I love it with chllie, i just saw another one ysteday in a blog and was planning to try them for the next mac.
You have perfect feet.
Well Dinesh sounds like my hubby , i too think it is comercial and I have no problem celebrating ppl celebrating.
I would prefert to have a cosy dinner which i make at home than speding too much money for the hype.

4 nandita February 11, 2010 at 10:46 am

We are not big into celebrating valentine’s either :) so had a fun read about Dinesh here!
Have never baked macarons, just the mindset that it’s difficult – probably will try out one of these days – the spicy version seems just right to suit our Indian palates.

5 Jamie February 11, 2010 at 11:02 am

I am so with you guys, Sunita! My husband is just like yours when it comes to Valentine’s Day and, truth be told, I also love making macarons but no one really eats them in our house. Oh well.

I love your incredible, imaginative flavorings that you come up with. I am no longer amazed by your perfect macs because they always are, but your flavors are always surprising! Fabulous!

And have a Happy Valentine’s Day :-)

6 RJ Flamingo February 11, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Adventurous & delicious! What a great way to work the spice & the sweet! Love this!

7 shankari February 11, 2010 at 3:12 pm

We are with you, we don’t make a big deal about V day. Someone asked if I will cook for my husband. I said I cook with love everyday…:)
You come up with such awesome ideas..

8 Kitchen Butterfly February 11, 2010 at 7:31 pm

What a terrific idea. I am a sweet and hot chic …right up my alley!!!!!!!

9 LoveFeast Table February 11, 2010 at 9:31 pm

These are some of the most beautiful cookies I’ve seen in a long time! Gorgeous!! I think they could be made for your love year round!

10 Asha@FSK February 11, 2010 at 11:45 pm

oooh! they are gorgeous! sugar and spice – how apt for Valentine’s ;-) )

11 Su-yin February 12, 2010 at 12:23 am

Chilli macarons – now that’s a flavour I haven’t come across before. I am very intrigued! They look amazing though, you did a fantastic job on these. And that last photo – oh wow.

I am in complete agreement regarding Valentine’s, we never ever go out for dinner on this day – we opt to cook a meal at home instead. :) I really feel that everyday should be a cause for celebration, not just on Feb 14th. Having said that, we do exchange cards – but that’s more because I’m a huge card collector! I can honestly say I love shopping for cards (sad but true!), and always enjoy discovering new card companies – especially the smaller independent ones. :P

12 Jeanne @ Cooksister! February 12, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Oh Sunita, how perfect those are! And I am intrigued by the flavour…

Having spent many unhappy single Valentine’s days, being made to feel depressed by all the commercial hullabaloo and expectations, now I host a Valentine’s lunch/dinner each year and invite all my single friends! My husband also goes on a bit of a rant about the whole thing…

13 Sunita February 12, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Thanks Jeanne .

And yes, we really don’t get the idea of all the commercialisation. And what a great idea to host a singles’ lunch/dinner :-)

14 Sarah, Maison Cupcake February 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm

I really like the idea of macarons with a firey kick to them. Now that I’ve found my feet I am looking forward to being more experimental like this. I especially like there being stuff sprinkled on them before you bake them.

15 anna February 13, 2010 at 8:03 pm

These are such a great idea! I love the sour cream filling concept.

16 Nirmala February 15, 2010 at 10:02 am

That seems to be perfect definition for Valentines day Sunita! Wish you an Dinesh all love and affection! And u have started playing around with the flavors ? Great! Can’t u experts think of some savory macarons?

17 foodlovers February 15, 2010 at 4:25 pm

wow great pics .. nice combo never heard of it …sounds tasty sunitha

18 Mowie @ Mowielicious February 16, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Oh Sunita! What a fabulous macaron flavour combination – I’m intrigued! And your photos look absolutely lovely.

19 Sunita February 16, 2010 at 9:31 pm

All,
Thanks for all your lovely comments, we really enjoyed these macs, the heat cut down the sweetness to a great extent.

20 Lisa February 17, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Wow..those are some of the most gorgeous, delicious sounding macs ever. I wish I could try one!

21 Sarka February 19, 2010 at 1:18 am

Oh, I love them! What a brilliant idea adding chilli to macarons! That would be P’s favourite flavour. Well, I have to learn to make them first! ;) I will give a second attempt soon, I hope! ;) The last photo makes me drool!

22 Cristie February 20, 2010 at 5:25 am

Beautiful mac’s! Your pictures are wonderful, I love the step by step and the detail. They must have tasted out of this world wonderful.

23 Meeta February 22, 2010 at 9:49 am

i missed these!! sorry! but wow – the flavors are hot! am seriously liking the sour cream in the filling lovely going sunita!