Lights, sparklers, and…

by Sunita on October 29, 2008

Hope all my Indian readers had a great Diwali.

We did have a nice one. There were friends in the house to celebrate it and a lot of noise and excitement (courtesy the group of kids). There were lights, and dear Bri and her family was definitely on my mind as I was lighting them.

And then, there were sparklers ( no crackers, thank goodness),

and then there was food. Regarding food, I was a happy lady as I had tried something for the first time and it passed with flying colours. My guinea pigs(!) had only kind words for it. For many of you, this must be easy peesy and must be a regular in your homes . Now, what exactly, am I talking about..the Dahi vada, of course.

Both me and Dinesh simply adore it and have had it quite a number of times till now. But, I’ve never tried my hand at making them. Recently, I’ve been seeing quite a few of them in the blogosphere. And when recently, I was reading dear Priya’s post, I felt I had to try making them, at least once.

The very idea of deep frying does make me cringe, but I gave in. And seeing that there would be others to be made partners in crime (wicked, isn’t it ?), I went ahead and made it yesterday. I took the idea from Priya and made up my own measurements. I also added a little rice to the dal, as well as onions. I didn’t grind the coriander along with the yogurt mixture, but served it as a garnish. I also had no coconut to add to it.

But, all in all, the vadas came out beautifully… crisp and shaped with the hole and all.

Actually, I found that the shaping was quite fun. And after soaking them in the yogurt mixture, they were soft and spongy.

Yes, they were really nice. Everyone enjoyed them. So thank you, Priya :-)

1 Sruthi October 29, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Those look delicioussss…. can you send me some … please…

2 Divya Vikram October 29, 2008 at 6:29 pm

They look too pretty to be eaten.

3 karuna October 29, 2008 at 9:16 pm

wowow, i never make mine with the trademark hole in it. tempeting pics. happy diwali to u and ure family

4 Priya October 29, 2008 at 11:53 pm

Happy Diwali to you and your family Sunita! Your vada’s looks perfect! I am glad my post made you try these goodies at home, infact the post tempted me enough to make some for myself this weekend :) )

5 Soma October 30, 2008 at 1:33 am

Looks Amazing. Too pretty to be devoured:-D

6 Shreya October 30, 2008 at 1:54 am

so yum! I love Dahi wada. Belated Diwali wishes, and a prosperous year ahead…

7 Red Chillies October 30, 2008 at 3:05 am

Happy Diwali to you and your family dear Sunita. Glad that you had a great one. The vadas and the dahi vadas looking amazing!

8 A kitchen scientist & a white rat hubby!!! October 30, 2008 at 5:55 am

hai SUnitha..how u doing?…ur bog luks great as usual..and the vadas!!..my..they luk like mightly doughnuts

9 Sangeeth October 30, 2008 at 3:16 pm

I just want to jump into the dahi wada and swim….looks so yummy :) happy diwali to u n ur family

10 Srivalli October 30, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Lovely pictures Sunita…Happy Deepavali to you and your family!…

11 nicisme October 30, 2008 at 11:25 pm

I have wanted to make some vada’s for so long now, yours look beautiful!
So does the rest of your blog Sunita, so many fabulous recipes – I feel at home here.

12 Kalai October 31, 2008 at 1:47 am

I’ve grown up eating my mom’s truly awesome and seemingly perfectly shaped and tasting vadais, Sunitha. Your pics are rivaling her vadais! Delicious! :)

13 Sia October 31, 2008 at 8:40 am

dear oh dear, look at those dahi vadas… slurp :)
suni, belated diwali wishes to ur and ur loved ones. I know i am awefully late in wishing but was caught up with loads of work. hope u had gre8 time sweetie :)

14 sunita October 31, 2008 at 11:11 am

sruthi,
why don’t you come over :-)

divya,

karuna,
I love trhe trademark shape :-)

priya,
I have been eyeing vadas for quite a while now…and yours were truly tempting…so thanks again :-)

15 sunita October 31, 2008 at 11:14 am

soma,

shreya,
Thanks and wishes for you and yours too :-)

redchillies,
Thanks…hope yopu and your family had a great Diwali too :-)

A kitchen scientist & a white rat hubby!!!,
Hello! it's nice to see you after quite some time. How've you been?

16 sunita October 31, 2008 at 11:20 am

sangeeth,
:-D …thanks…hope you enjoyed your diwali too :-)

srivalli,
Thanks…hope you and your family enjoyed it too :-)

nicisme,
Welcome to my world and do make yourself comfortable here…glad you dropped by :-)

kalai,
Thank you so much…being comparable to your mom is a real honour :-)

sia,
Thank you…and don’t worry, I’ve been bad too…both in wishing, as well as acknowledging :-( but, yes, we did have a lovely time :-)

17 DEESHA October 31, 2008 at 2:22 pm

they look perfect sunita .. the pic is fab, asusual .. I have never tried my hand at vadas .. could you please give me the exact measurements you have used .. I am tempted to try this out

18 Jo November 1, 2008 at 3:24 pm

I love wada as well, defintely great finger food. When we buy it from the shops, the guy will throw in a couple of whole green chillies as well.

19 Uj November 2, 2008 at 6:12 am

Sunita,
They look so yummy. My hubby is an ardent fan of this dish but I never had the guts to try. May be its time I give it a shot. Thanks for this wonderful recipe. Very nice pics of both Diwali and Dahi wada

20 Pravs November 2, 2008 at 4:31 pm

love the vada’s..tempting pics.

21 sunita November 3, 2008 at 11:48 am

deesha,
I sprt of used guestimates to make the vadas. Just one thing needs to be kept in mind…the dal needs to be ground with the minimum of water. Moreover, I also soaked a teeny bit of rice along with the dal.If you do need exact measures, you could refer to priya’s recipe. Hope you make them :-)

jo,
Yes, they were really nice :-)

uj,
Thanks…and yes, we did enjoy them a lot :-)

pravs,
Thanks :-)

22 Laavanya November 5, 2008 at 1:15 am

These must be the most awesome looking dahi vadas ever!! Absolutely divine.

23 Mona November 5, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Beautiful clicks Sunita! Your blog has started to look like a magazine!!

24 Homely girl November 19, 2008 at 6:36 am

My first time here – hopped over from Suganya’s blog Tasty Palettes. And I just had to say – OMG! That is the most gorgeous picture of Dahi vada ever. I’m particularly partial to it in general and this one – well I just wanted to reach into my computer screen and pop the whole thing in my mouth.
Anyway, you have a very lovely blog. Happy cooking! I’ll be back again ;-)