Back to the grind and some cookies…

by Sunita on November 3, 2008

Another week has flown past. The kids are back at school ( it was their half term last week). Amidst festivities, friends, gluttony and school projects, didn’t realise how the time just whooshed by.

Weather wise, it is much colder now, with just a few leaves hanging onto some of the trees, ready to fall off the next time they are swayed by the wind. It was a bleak day today, as we went to the kid’s school, but the colour brightened up the atmosphere. The kids were glad to catch up with their friends…one would have thought that they were meeting after a lifetime :-)

Now, here I am, clicking away at the laptop;now and then, glancing out the patio doors to look at the branches swaying to and fro (love doing that at times); the telly has been turned on as well, a bit louder than usual, though definitely not a great substitute for the banter of the children :-( Okay, I’m being soppy now…lets head back to the kitchen.

The following peanut butter and coconut cookies…

were made over the week, and we did love them, so here goes…

1 and 1/2 C of whole wheat flour(atta)
1/4 C oat flakes
1/2 C dessicated coconut
1 tblsp of flax seeds(brown), mixed with 6 tblsp of water, and microwaved for 1 and 1/2 minutes and mixed well
5 tblsp of smooth peanut butter, melted together with 2 and 1/2 tblsp of dark brown sugar(I used muscovado, and I microwaved the two together for 1 and 1/2 minutes)
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tblsp of sunflower or vegetable oil
1/3 C milk
a little granulated sugar( I used raw cane sugar) for sprinkling

1. In a bowl, mix together the flour, oats, soda, coconut.
  2. In another bowl, mix together the flax seeds mixture, peanut butter and sugar mixture, and the milk.
  3. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the wet mixture.
  4. Mix everything together gently with the fingertips, until they all come together in a ball.
  5. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
  6. Pre heat the oven for 180 deg C and line a baking tray.
  7. make 14 to 15 balls of the mixture and arrange them on the tray, leaving enough space between them. Flatten the balls and prick all over lightly with a fork.
  8. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 15 minutes or till the edges begin to be crisp and and is slightly darker than the centre.
  9. Remove the tray from the oven and sprinkle a little sugar over the cookies. Let the cookies cool on the tray for a couple of minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool completely before storing in air tight containers. The cookies harden further on cooling.

Both Rengoni and Agastya gave the cookies their thumbs up, and so did the grown ups. The cookies were crisp, full of peanutty flavour and the coconut and the sugar added a nice bite. What more do you want? Well, maybe, a glass of milk :-)

1 Happy cook November 3, 2008 at 11:54 am

You do make lots of cokies sunita and they all are delicious. I am sure the kids enjoy them when they come back from school or when they see them in their snack box.
Here to weather is really cold and there is fog too. I was telling hubby i am not even going to go out today.

2 SMN November 3, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Sunita u bake lot of cookies, cakes etc.. and Ur family shud be lovng it..

This one reminds me of True nice biscuit from Britannia in India. Im gonna try this.

Wats flax seeds un familiar to me

3 PJ November 3, 2008 at 1:54 pm

Hi sunitha..those cookies look soooo tempting!!Got an award for u @ http://seduceyourtastebuds.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-second-award-and-few-words.html

4 TS November 3, 2008 at 1:57 pm

beautiful cookies! yes, I’d love some right now with a cold glass of milk…!

cheers,trupti
the spice who loved me

5 Arundathi November 3, 2008 at 2:10 pm

i made peanut butter cookies today too – they are just delicious aren’t they? lovely pictures!

6 sunita November 3, 2008 at 2:31 pm

happy cook,
It’s a very dark day today..we did love the cookies :-)

smn,
Do give it a try…and please check out the ingredients list, I’ve added a link to flax seeds…they are great as egg substitutes..do give these cookies a try :-)

pj,

trupti,
Thanks :-)

arundathi,
will check out yours too :-)

7 Bhawana November 3, 2008 at 3:07 pm

wow Sunita, superb cookies :) . Can I try them again and update my blog :) . let me know if that is ok with u. I like cookies recipe from ur blog and I do try them.

8 sunita November 3, 2008 at 3:51 pm

bhawana,
Thanks…and of course, you can try them…that’s why we blog, don’t we…to share our recipes with others :-)

9 DEESHA November 3, 2008 at 5:17 pm

I agree with smn, it really does remind me of nice biscuits from britannia .. looks lovely

10 Susan from Food Blogga November 3, 2008 at 5:19 pm

Yay for sneaking in some healthy flaxseed, Sunita! I just love the flavors you used and the texture of those cookies.

11 Aparna November 3, 2008 at 5:26 pm

These look delicious, Sunita.
I make a lot of cookies too because they’re perfect for hungry kids (and adults too).
My daughter still has another week before she goes back to school after Diwali.

12 Divya Vikram November 3, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Your kuds are lucky I should say!!

13 Curry Leaf November 3, 2008 at 11:27 pm

Tasty cookies and lovely presentation.

14 Rachel November 4, 2008 at 1:12 am

Wow they are beautiful cookies…

15 Uj November 4, 2008 at 1:23 am

yummy!!!

16 Kalai November 4, 2008 at 2:10 am

Man, I’ve been hit by the worst peanut butter craving and I come here to find the perfect cookie recipe to try! Did you use unsweetened coconut? Will definitely give these a try! :)

17 Nags November 4, 2008 at 2:13 am

a nice change from the peanut butter and chocolate combo! :)

18 Pearlsofeast November 4, 2008 at 2:43 am

Sunita,I love ur cookies since u use little oil and I never buy cookies from outside.I try to fill my cookie jar as often as u do.

I loved all the ingredients u have used.
By the way I made the fish and potato pie but only with vegetables,We enjoyed.Thanks
I was going through ur profile, Nice to see so many things in common esp the movies and interest.

19 ttfn300 November 4, 2008 at 3:45 am

you kill me. every time. yummy!!!

20 Priya November 4, 2008 at 3:55 am

the cookies look scrumptious Sunita, can I take that bundle, please ? :)

21 Nirmala November 4, 2008 at 4:09 am

Those were crunchy looking goodies. Haven’t used peanut butter in my baking. Would love to, planning to make my own batch as there a lotsa peanuts lying around at home. the blue satin ribbon gives a warm celebrity touch to the cookies Sunita! hope u and your family had a wonderful Diwali!

22 Usha November 4, 2008 at 7:22 pm

These goodies look fantastic and very very tempting :-)

23 Swati November 5, 2008 at 8:17 am

Wow..theses are some more delicious cookies from you :)
I’ll bake a cake just for you .. anytime :) )

24 sunita November 5, 2008 at 11:27 am

deesha,
Than you :-)

susan,
Thanks…we did love these cookies…the kids have been reminding me to bake more of these :-)

aparna,
Thanks…enjoy your time with your daughter :-)

divya,
Ah well1 you should tell them that…they taje it for granted :-)

25 sunita November 5, 2008 at 11:29 am

curry leaf,
Thanks :-)

rachel,
Thanks :-)

uj,
Thanks :-)

kalai,
Thanks…yes, it is unsweetened coconut…do give them a try :-)

26 sunita November 5, 2008 at 11:40 am

nags,
Thanks…we did love them :-)

pearlsofeast,
Thanks…we did love the cookie a lot.
Glad that you enjoyed the pie :-)

ttfn300,
Thanks :-)

priya,
Be my guest :-)

27 sunita November 5, 2008 at 11:45 am

nirmala,
Do make the peanut butter and also these cookies…and we did have a nice Diwali, thank you :-)

Usha,
Thanks:-)

Swati,
Thanks! And be careful about what you offer, i might take it up ;-)

28 Purnima November 6, 2008 at 7:09 am

These look extremely good, they wd to all those bred on Nice biscuits..good memories ;) The tasty cookies look more elegant wt that lovely ribbon tied around!The broken pc also makes me drool!! Since I dont hv flax seeds wt me, I will try wt egg. (1 egg = 1T ground flax seeds + 3T warm water) Not only is your family lucky to b treated wt such baked goodies..I m also very lucky to witness it in virtual form, hv a recipe here, try it out in my kitchen!! THANK YOU SUNITA!!!

29 Leigh November 17, 2008 at 4:57 pm

interesting flavours – I’ll be giving these guys a try! Thanks!

30 Kay December 21, 2008 at 6:56 pm

I just made these cookies with almond butter. Since the almond butter didn’t have any sugar in it, I added another 2 tbsp of sugar and 2 tbsp of maple syrup.

The cookies are real good. I’m surprised how well it turned out, inspite me being a cookie-novice. Thanks very much Sunita! :)

You’re most welcome, Kay…glad you enjoyed the cookies :-)

31 srilekha December 29, 2008 at 11:15 am

looks delicious!
first time to ur blog and it is too good!
do visit my blog when u find time and join in the savory event going in my blog!
Wish u a very happy new year!