Feline visits and some squares

by Sunita on November 7, 2008

‘The travelling cat’…as Rengoni and Agastya call this one… For a couple of days, this particular cat has been regularly making the rounds of our backyard, perching itself comfortably on the fence. The kids, especially Rengoni ( the resident story teller) have been weaving all sorts of stories about where it’s been to and where it will go to. It does not have a collar around it’s neck, but judging by it’s hale and hearty look, does not seem to be a stray one either.

The kids wanted to feed it, and I am guilty of not allowing them to. No, it’s not that I don’t like animals ( that is Dinesh’s department, he just can’t stand them), but I know very well, how clingy they can be. Deuta (father) used to feed a stray once regularly, and before long, she had made her home at our house and we a had a litter of kittens runing around. But we loved them. And also, I had practically grown up with Silvi…the alsation-labrador that lived with us for nine years till she sadly passed away.

Silvi…what a gorgeous creature she was. I still remember how devastated we were when she died. Even now, I retell stories about her and the kids listen on with rapt attention…which always ends in”Aww, why can’t we have a puppy?” Maybe we’ll have to work on their dad a bit ;-)

Now, coming back to the kitchen, I made some wheat flakes and fruit and nut squares filled with raisins and walnuts.

I love making bars/squares like these, and make them quite often. Not only do they form a great breakfast on the go, but also form a healthy snack, especially to satisfy the after school cravings. And the combinations are endless. In other words, they are good value for the time invested. Simple to make and nice to taste.

1 and 1/2 C wheat flakes
1/2 C whole wheat flour(atta)
3/4 C raisins
a handful of walnuts, chopped
a handful of chocolate chips(optional)
100 gms of goor(jaggery)
1 C of plain yogurt
3 tblsp of oil(vegetable or sunflower)

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C. Line and grease an 8 inch square pan.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, wheat flakes, walnuts, raisins and chocolate chips.
  3. Melt the jaggery and pour into the flour mixture. Use a spatula to mix, and don’t worry if it allgets a bit lumpy.
  4. Mix together the yogurt and oil and tip into the rest of the mixture. Use fingertips to bring everything together, breaking up the lumps.
  5. Transfer the mixture to the prepare pan, spread and smooth the top. Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes or till nicely browned.
  6. Cool in the pan for a few minutes. Cut into squares/bars and transfer to a rack to cool completely before storing in airtight containers.

Tastes wonderful. The top is crisp and slightly softer inside.You can add your own choice of dried fruits and nuts.

Have a great weekend!

1 Pearlsofeast November 7, 2008 at 11:57 am

Kids are always eager to have a pet.
The squares are absolutely great and me too love bars and squares.I love the ingredients u have used esp Jaggery, rich in iron.

2 SMN November 7, 2008 at 12:22 pm

That cat is so lovely i always like them in black & white combo we had one at home too :)

those squares look so yummy..

3 Alka November 7, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Our neighbour’s cat used to come over to our house as well.. he practically became our own..for 4 years, he would sleep at our house, play and eat and then at night we would drop him off. He went missing at the end of August and it was devstating. But his frequent visits brought another cat and now we adopted him. The love of an animal is often compared to the unconditional love of a child to its parent.

Ok, sorry about blabbing, I love animals!! The bars look lovely, I love such items.. quick snack and of course breakfast!

4 Soma November 7, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Beautiful bars.. loved the use of jaggery, never thought about it.

5 Happy cook November 7, 2008 at 3:44 pm

The squares look really delicious and healthy. Years back we got a few week old stray kitten on our doorsptep and Shyama wanted to take him in, i didn’t allow and then i heard her saying to one of her friends my mom is a animale hater. It is not that i didn’t want to take the kitten in, but having a pet is not easy when you want to go for travel etc….
But anyway in the end we took him in, but then after a year one day it want out and we didn’t see him. SHyama was heartbroken.
She had named him bombay as we were just back from our visit to India.

6 Ramya Vijaykumar November 7, 2008 at 4:40 pm

HOPE THE KIDS HAVE ANOTHER PARTNER NOW! WONDERFUL SQUARES THEY HAVE REALLY TURNED OUT WELL SUNITA

7 Mike of Mike's Table November 7, 2008 at 7:34 pm

At least its a good looking cat. Growing up, there were lots of stray cats in or around my backyard…but they would all fight and make not so good sounds all night, so I’m not so keen on them, lol.

Those squares on the other hand sound excellent!

8 Cham November 7, 2008 at 8:18 pm

The squares re simply divine :)

9 Cynthia November 7, 2008 at 8:29 pm

I have a cat that I have been taking of for the past 5 years (a friend went way to study and left it) but my other friends have told me that after taking care of the for that long, I now own it. I’m not really a cat person. They have too much attitude for me (lol)

10 alka November 7, 2008 at 8:42 pm

i wonder if the cat is lost sunita? maybe the owners are looking for it and are frantically looking for it?? maybe you can put up a found poster for him.. he looks so cutee.. my neigbor’s cat was a tuxedo as well.. so i have a huge soft spot of tuxedo babies..

11 Divya Vikram November 7, 2008 at 9:16 pm

The cat looks cute..Lovely squares..

12 Red Chillies November 8, 2008 at 4:52 am

I am dreading for the day when my little one shows interest in animals.

Loved the squares, they look so healthy. I need to find where wheat flakes are available.

13 Kalai November 9, 2008 at 3:44 am

Wow! Squares look delicious and healthy, too… Nice one! :)

14 Raaga November 9, 2008 at 7:44 am

These look delish… my bars have never come out like bars :-)

15 Aparna November 9, 2008 at 11:55 am

These look delicious. Nothing quite like bars and cookies and muffins to keep hungry children satisfied.
We used to have this problem with some puppies earlier. We refused to feed them (allergies so we couldn’t keep them), because they would become dependent on us and it would a problem feeding them when we were on vacation. We took the puppies to an animal shelter and they were adopted.

16 Nirmala November 10, 2008 at 3:29 am

I am on Dinesh’s side when coming to pets! We have a dog at home but still I never get near to it! The squares look delicious and so simple too!

17 Ramya November 10, 2008 at 8:42 am

Would like to invite you for a coffee at My blog
Pls join me :)

18 Peabody November 10, 2008 at 9:09 am

The squares look delish and the wheat flakes make them healthy! Bonus.

19 sunita November 10, 2008 at 10:23 am

All,

Thank you everyone for all your comments…the li’l guy is not so well, hence have not been able to acknowledge them individually. Appreciate your dropping by and sharing your views, especially about ‘the cat’ :-D

Take care,
Sunita.

20 Anonymous November 17, 2008 at 6:51 am

Please let me know a substitue for wheat flakes in this reciepe.

21 sunita November 18, 2008 at 8:52 am

anonymous,
you can try using jumbo oats.

22 Sharmilee May 22, 2010 at 2:39 am

I made these squares and just luved the taste……didnt get wheat flakes so used oats and a lil of cornflakes and some variations too….will post it in my blog.Thanks for such a healthy recipe! Looking forward for such more such healthy bars :)

23 Sharmilee January 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm