Curry over the weekend…

by Sunita on November 10, 2008

Hope all of you had a great start to the week. Ours was dreary in more ways than one. Agastya is not very well…the li’l guy has fever.It started on Friday and is still continuing. He had to miss school today, which he is not very pleased about. Anyway, I have just tucked him in bed after sending off Rengoni. It is not very pleasant to see otherwise active kids, moping around, is it?

Yesterday, I made a lamb curry for lunch.

Lamb is something which we do not have very often. We buy minced lamb which I use in stews and pies, but not as a curry as such. Growing up, I was never fond of it. But, I did look forward to the gravy and the large potatoes that would be added to it…for me they were the best bits of the curry. Usually, the gravy in a typically Assamese mutton or lamb curry would be spicy, but quite soupy in consistency. But, with the addition of freshly ground spices, the taste would be one to die for.

When I made the lamb curry yesterday, I kept the potatoes like back home, but thickened the gravy. With the kids needing extra attention (one, because he was ill, the other, because she thought she was being left out; that’s what happens when you have kids with very little age differences), freshly ground dried spices were given a miss, with the ready made ones saving the day. But, in the end, we did like the final product. Served with plain rice and some fresh salad, lunch was quite well catered for. Although I did wish that my pressure cooker was in running condition, would have saved some more time. So, do feel free to use yours if you have one, and in running order.

Here’s how I made it-

500 gms of lamb, cut into bite sized portions, washed and squeezed well
a paste of 2 large onions(chopped), 6 cloves of garlic(chopped) and 2 inch piece of ginger(chopped)
6 medium sized potatoes, peeled and washed
4 bay leaves
1 tblsp cumin seeds
1whole red chilli, split
1/2 tblsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp+1/2 tsp+1 and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp(more or less) chilli powder
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
1 tblsp + 5 tblsp of oil
a tblsp or two of ghee(optional)
4 C hot water(may need more)
1 tsp garam masala powder
a small bunch of coriander, chopped(for garnishing)

1. Rub the lamb pieces with the tblsp of oil, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and a pinch of salt and keep aside.
  2. Heat the 5 tblsp of oil in a deep pan. Rub the potatoes with the other 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and a pinch of salt and lightly fry in the pan. Remove and keep aside.
  3. In the hot oil, add the sugar. When it starts to melt, add the cumin seeds, bay leaves and the whole red chilli. When they begin to splutter, add the onion, ginger and garlic paste, along with the rest of the turmeric powder and the chilli and cumin powders. Keep stirring over medium heat till the moisture evaporates, and the mixture is dry and lumpy.
  4. Add the lamb along with salt and cook till the pieces are well coated with the spices and the meat is nicely browned.Do this over low heat, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes.
  5. Add the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook till the meat is cooked completely (stir every now and then). Add more water if needed (If using a pressure cooker, all the previous steps can be done in it. After adding the water, bring to a boil, close the lid and cook for 4-5 whistles and check. If the meat is undercooked, close the lid again and cook for a few more whistles. Also check if more water is needed.)
  6. As for the potatoes, half way through, pierce them all over, lightly, with a knife. The juices will seep in and cook them beautifully.
  7. Reduce the gravy to the desired consistency.
  8. Add the garam masala powder and simmer for a minute.
  9. Remove from heat and add the ghee, if using it. Stir.
  10. Garnish with the chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or with any Indian flat bread.

We had ours with plain rice and some fresh salad. It was nice, And yes, we did love those potatoes as well :-)

1 kittie November 10, 2008 at 10:35 am

Lamb is my favourite meat to have in a curry – this looks delicious!

Hope the kids feel better soon :)

2 Sia November 10, 2008 at 3:33 pm

get well soon wishes to dear Agastya :)

3 Anonymous November 10, 2008 at 4:35 pm

hey sunita , I have a question on the orange cookies and other cookies also which has eggs . can we omit the 2 eggs in recipe and what wud be the best substitue..let me know ..

Tasha

4 maninas November 10, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Hi Sunita, that first photo is simply _stunning-! I LOVE it! Curry is not the easiest thing to photograph, but this looks gorgeous.

i’m sure freshly ground spices are an amazing addition. I may try it soon when I have time. I adore potatoes in a curry, too. This definitely goes onto my to try list!

I had an amazing thai mussaman curry which included potatoes. scrumptious!

5 Kalai November 11, 2008 at 12:22 am

Beautiful curry, Sunita! I also love potatoes with meat. My best wishes to the little prince for a speedy recovery!! :)

6 SMN November 11, 2008 at 6:31 am

Get well soon wish to agastya..

7 Nirmala November 11, 2008 at 8:51 am

Oh my! Agastya get well soon. Yeah its sad to see kids down with illness and I become totally down when my kids were unwell. I could feel what you say. And then these kind of comforting food is needed during those days. I am sure that would’ve pepped up the little power-ranger :) Convey my wishes to him.

8 nicisme November 11, 2008 at 11:11 am

I’m the only one who eats lamb here so I never buy it, but I am so wanting to try this lovely curry – I adore curries!
Hope your son is better soon.

9 ramanujan November 11, 2008 at 4:20 pm

damn you-felt soooooooo hungry after reading your blog-and i am still at work!!

10 Mandira November 11, 2008 at 9:15 pm

i love those potatoes too sunita :) makes me crave some right this minute!

11 Sig November 12, 2008 at 2:13 am

Lamb is my favorite meat, especially curried lamb… :) That looks totally delicious Sunita! Hope Agastya is all better now…

12 Ramya Kiran November 12, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Hi Sunita, your pics are awesome. They can make anyone hungry..
I also invite you to visit my blog. There is an award waiting for you..
Cheers;)
Ramya

13 Hitashi November 12, 2008 at 4:51 pm

The Lamb curry looks amazingly delicious.. It is my favourite!
Adding sugar in the begining was interesting.. Any particular reason to do that?
Hope your son gets well soon!

14 sunita November 13, 2008 at 12:39 pm

All,
Thank you for your wishes for the li’l guy. he is back to his active self and school. Gosh! Isn’t that such a relief :-D

Thanks for your comments on the curry as well.We did enjoy it .

Tasha,
You could try using 1 tblsp of flax seed meal mixed with 3 tblsp of water in place of 1 egg.

Ramya,
Thanks for thinking of me :-)

Hitashi,
The caramalised sugar imparts a beautiful flavour and colour to the dish.

15 Malar Gandhi January 4, 2009 at 2:40 am

Lamb curry with rice, count me in! love it.

16 Sunita January 4, 2009 at 9:34 am

Counted :-D

17 Colloquial Cook November 29, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Am scanning through your blog to find my first ever garam masala flavoured dish – may have found just the one!

18 Sunita December 1, 2009 at 10:33 am