Yes, it’s my birthday today. More than three and a half decades later, as I look back on my life, it doesn’t seem to have been a bad journey so far. So many people, places and experiences have touched my life and shaped me into what I am today. I am glad for all those experiences, some happy, some sad, as they usually are in life. I have lost a few and gained so much more. But I can’t really complain, the harsh realities have probably made me much stronger in life. Yes, I have come a long way and I am grateful for all those experiences.
And I’m most grateful for all the friends that I’ve made along the way, old and new. You all know who you are, so thank you for your support, love and your wishes.
I have some brownies for all of you today. Sorry, no cake, but I’m sure you’ll love them. They are dense and fudgy and full of my favourite dark chocolate. No eggs, no butter, but really delicious. And so that you can create it in your own kitchens to have them again and again, I’ll pass on the recipe as well.
5 tblsp of plain yogurt mixed with 7 tblsp of water
200 gms of dark chocolate ( You can substitute with milk or white if you like)
3 tblsp of sunflower/vegetable oil
6 tblsp of dark muscovado sugar ( or other dark brown sugar
4 tblsp of ground almonds
5 tblsp of whole wheat flour (atta)
3 and 1/2 tblsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line an 8inch square baking pan with foil.
- Melt the chocolate along with the oil and keep aside.
- Sieve together the flour and cocoa powder. Mix in the ground almonds and keep aside.
- Whisk together the yogurt mixture with the sugar.
- Add the chocolate mixture and fold in.
- Fold in the flour mixture, a little at a time till everything is just moistened.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely in the pan and cut into squares before serving.
Do help yourselves to some, won’t you?