Sharing some brownies on my birthday!

by Sunita on March 11, 2010

Yes, it’s my birthday today. More than three and a half decades later, as I look back on my life, it doesn’t seem to have been a bad journey so far. So many people, places and experiences have touched my life and shaped me into what I am today. I am glad for all those experiences, some happy, some sad, as they usually are in life. I have lost a few and gained so much more. But I can’t really complain, the harsh realities have probably made me much stronger in life. Yes, I have come a long way and I am grateful for all those experiences.

And I’m most grateful for all the friends that I’ve made along the way, old and new. You all know who you are, so thank you for your support, love and your wishes.

I have some brownies for all of you today. Sorry, no cake, but I’m sure you’ll love them. They are dense and fudgy and full of my favourite dark chocolate. No eggs, no butter,  but really delicious. And so that you can create it in your own kitchens to have them again and again, I’ll pass on the recipe as well.

5 tblsp of plain yogurt mixed with 7 tblsp of water

200 gms of dark chocolate ( You can substitute with milk or white if you like)

3 tblsp of sunflower/vegetable oil

6 tblsp of dark muscovado sugar ( or other dark brown sugar

4 tblsp of ground almonds

5 tblsp of whole wheat flour (atta)

3 and 1/2 tblsp of unsweetened cocoa powder

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line an 8inch square baking pan with foil.
  2. Melt the chocolate along with the oil and keep aside.
  3. Sieve together the flour and cocoa powder. Mix in the ground almonds and keep aside.
  4. Whisk together the yogurt mixture with the sugar.
  5. Add the chocolate mixture and fold in.
  6. Fold in the flour mixture, a little at a time till everything is just moistened.
  7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
  8. Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
  9. Cool completely in the pan and cut into squares before serving.

Do help yourselves to some, won’t you? :-)

1 Ria March 11, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Happy Birthday Sunita! Your brownies are SO tempting! Would love to gorge on them for my breakfast now!

2 the wicked noodle March 11, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Happy Birthday, Sunita!

3 RupaRupa March 11, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Many Happy returns on the Day, Sunita ! These look so yum….will try them soon :)

4 Jamie March 11, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Oh, Sunita, Happy Birthday my dear friend! And I’ll take a birthday brownie from you over cake from anyone else! I am glad you are my friend! Happy Birthday and have a safe and very happy trip!

5 Swapna March 11, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Happy Birthday Sunitha! Those Brownies are very tempting :)

6 Sarah, Maison Cupcake March 11, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Happy Birthday! Given a choice I often pick brownies over cake anyway.

7 Munni March 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Many Many Happy Returns Of The Day !!!
The brownies look yum!!
Have a Safe Flight too & enjoy your trip.

8 Maninas March 11, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Happy birthday darling! and thanks for the brownies. they look delish!

9 Sharmilee March 11, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Happy bday Sunitha, hope u had a great day! Perfect brownies for the special day..!

10 Nirmala March 11, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Hearty wishes dear Sunita! Hope your days ahead be filled with more love, peace and success! Have a great day! And those brownies look really fudgy!

11 Rosa March 11, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Happy Birthday, dear Sunita! Those Brownies are perfect for such an event!

12 Bong Mom March 11, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Happy Birthday Dear and thanks so much for the brownies , if only we could eat it :-)

13 Alka March 11, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Happy Birthday Sunita!!! Brownies look delish!

14 Roopa March 11, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Happy Birthday Dear Sunitha!! Words aren’t sufficient to describe your great work on your website…

15 Ann March 11, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Happy Birthday Sunita. I know you are super busy as you get ready for your vacation, I’ve had a burning question for you for a while and have stealthily been browing your blog for a clue. I’ve been trying to replace whole wheat flour (or atta like you do) into baked goods in order to replace the white flour component. I’ve been told that I need to increase the liquid component to allow for this substitution, is there some ratio you use in your baked goods (i know, I know, i’m getting too scientific). In all, I’ve been fairly unsuccessful substituting wheat for white flour 1:1 in any given recipe. The cakes, whilst OK straight out of the oven, get very dry quickly. I noticed you have really great moist cakes whilst using whole wheat or wheat flour.

16 Srimathi March 11, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Hi sunitha,

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday Dear sunitha1 Happy Birthday to you!(I hope you can sing these lines to yourself). The brownie is eggless I see. the photos look amazing.Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day.

17 Suparna March 11, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Happy Birthday Sunita ! Wish you many more to come !

18 Sailaja March 11, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Happy Birthday, Sunita. :)

19 koki March 11, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Happy Bday dear Sunita
Wishing you a wonderful year ahead and also a wonderful vacation

20 Poornima March 11, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Wish you a very Happy Birthday Sunita!! Amazing brownies to celebrate the day!!

21 hudsondebb March 11, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Happy birthday Sunita! Like the hobbits do, you’ve given a gift on your birthday- this vegan brownie recipe which I can’t wait to try!
I’m a recent but now avid reader. I love your cross-global recipes.
Here’s a birthday gift, to you, from me: try a little pinch of ground anise or fennel, or chinese 5-spice powder, or a few drops of anise extract, in chocoate brownies.

22 hudsondebb March 14, 2010 at 1:42 am

oops, not vegan, there’s yogurt! still, can’t wait to try this recipe.

23 Asha@FSK March 11, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Happy Birthday Sunita!!! :) )) Gorgeous brownies!!! I am not a chocolate fan but I am a brownie fan.. with yogurt sounds interesting.. think I’ll make this soon!

24 SS March 11, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Happy birthday!!

Really.. no butter and no eggs?!! Now if we just eliminate sugar too… ;) Just yogurt and water for moisture. And 3 tablespoons of oil is not much at all. Must keep this in mind. Totally bookmarked! Thanks!

25 Kashmira March 11, 2010 at 7:37 pm

A very happy birthday, Sunita!

26 Nupur March 11, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Happy Birthday and wishing you plenty of joy in life!

27 A-kay March 11, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Happy Bday Sunita – those brownies look like the perfect bday treat :)

28 Nalini March 11, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Happy Birthday Sunitha. Hope you had a great day and thanks for sharing such good wholesome recipes.

29 Soma March 11, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Happy Birthday dear Sunita! A lovely stack for a lovely celebration.

30 shayma March 11, 2010 at 9:36 pm

dear sunita, came here to have a peek at your lovely brownies and also wish you a very, very happy birthday, i am sorry i missed you on twitter. today x shayma

31 Mansi March 11, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Happy B’day Sunita! hope you have a great year ahead! the Brownies look delicious, and healthy too! Thanks for sharing all your beautiful recipes and interesting stories through this blog!

32 ruchikacooks March 12, 2010 at 12:01 am

Many more Happy returns of the day..Lovely Brownies..

33 Vaishali March 12, 2010 at 2:03 am

Happy birthday Sunita! Brownies looks absolutely gooey n yummy. A wonderful B’day treat!

34 Melanie March 12, 2010 at 2:39 am

Sunita–thank you for sharing this. The brownies look wonderful. Happy Birthday.

35 5 Star Foodie March 12, 2010 at 2:40 am

Happy Birthday! Such scrumptious brownies, a great treat to celebrate with!

36 Fazela March 12, 2010 at 2:40 am

Many Many Happy Returns of The Day Sunita!!!

37 Hema March 12, 2010 at 2:45 am

Happy B’day Sunita.. Hope you enjoyed your B’day with those Brownies. I’m a big fan of your Blog, you have lots of Eggless Cakes and Cookies. Will try out some of your dishes and leave a comment in your blog. Thanks a lot for your dishes. Once again Happy B’day.

38 Sonia March 12, 2010 at 3:44 am

Dear Sunita, Many Many Happy Returns of the day!!! May all happiness come in your life! :)
“Tum jio hazaaro saal aur, bache ke bache k bache ke dekho”. :D

39 Bethany March 12, 2010 at 8:44 am

Happy Birthday S! Have a fabulous time in India (green with envy!) and I’ll have the book out to you before your return! kisses xx

PS- Those are some good looking brownies and such beautiful photography!

40 Aparna March 12, 2010 at 9:40 am

Let me wish you many happy returns of the day, again, Sunita. Personally, I’d love these brownies more than any cake (well, except maybe chocolate cake with no frosting) for my birthday.
Enjoy!

41 Sudha Dilip March 12, 2010 at 9:47 am

Hello Sunita,

Many many happy returns of the day.. I ve been a silent reader of your site for quite a long time, and been checking your site almost every other day in the past 1 year. Gorgeous & healthy recipes !! I would love to try them all.. and today, I am happy to know that we are sharing our birthdays !! I pray to God to bless you & your family with everything you wish for.

42 CurryLeaf March 12, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Happy Birthday Sunitha,Excellent browniesI will help myself to all of these and do not want invitation also. :P

43 Shreya March 12, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Belated birthday wishes, Sunita. Love the pics, the brownies look perfect.:-)

44 SG March 12, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Happy B’day Sunita…I am just a big fan of you, your thoughts and your recipies…Have a wonderful day and enjoy!!!

45 The Gypsy Chef March 12, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Happy Birthday Sunita! I hope your special day is full of love.
The brownies look luscious!
Pam

46 Sarka March 12, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Happy Birthday Sunita! Hope you had a wonderful day full of love, joy and happiness! Love the photos of your brownies.

47 superchef March 13, 2010 at 1:14 am

Happy Birthday Sunita!! and those brownies look fabulous..perfect for the occassion to treat yourself :)

48 Divya Vikram March 13, 2010 at 3:44 am

Belated bday wishes.. Brownies look perfect and appealing!

49 vandanarajesh March 13, 2010 at 7:45 am

Happy B’day Sunita…have a gr8 yr ahead. The brownies look truly wonderful…got here from the Femina foodbytes link,,,u have a lovely blog here.

50 Sunita March 14, 2010 at 7:56 am

All,
Thanks for all your lovely wishes; it really added to the joy of the day.

51 Yamini March 15, 2010 at 4:12 am

Happy Birthday Sunita!! :) and thank you for the brownies :)