Weekend fries

by Sunita on April 17, 2010

We aren’t starving, which means that meals are being cooked and fed to the family. Simple meals are the order of the day, familiar recipes that I go back to again and again, sometimes. Not much experimenting, which is a bit unusual, and the daughter has already started to fill my ear with gentle questions about it ( you can also name it as a ‘complaint’).

To be honest, my mind is till probably back in Guwahati. It is still full of the endless chatter, the eating and everything else that goes with it. The kids are still enjoying their Easter break, so it seems as if the holidays are still on. Many a time, the oven has been switched on, tried to look for inspiration, but none came. Again, it was the ‘usual’, which , though we do not mind at all, is nothing I haven’t shared before.

Last evening, while I was doing something else, I heard sounds from the kitchen, and discovered Dinesh rummaging through the shelves looking for some ‘gram flour’. I could see thin slices of potatoes lying on the chopping board and a smile crossed my face, he was going to make thoseĀ  ‘oh so tempting ‘ fries of his. Deep fried goodies make a very rare appearance in our kitchen, but we do have our moments when we do give in and the plate is emptied with great enthusiasm.

As I haven’t been that creative lately, I’ve resorted to Dinesh’s fries to grace the blog; after all, they are quite popular in our household-

4-5 medium sized potatoes, thinly sliced lengthwise
4-5 tblsp of ground rice
7-8 tblsp of gram flour
salt to taste
oil for frying ( upto 5mm up from the bottom of the pan)

1. In a bowl, place the ground rice, gram flour and salt. Add enough water to make a thin batter.
  2. Heat the oil in the pan.
  3. Dip the slices of potato into the batter and fry in the hot oil till golden and crisp.
  4. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate lined with kitchen towel to drain the excess oil.
  5. If there is leftover batter, slice some red onions in rounds and fry them like the potatoes, tastes great too.
  6. Enjoy!!!

There! Easy,wasn’t it?

And they taste great too.

You won’t stop at a few, so watch out.

Have a great weekend everyone !

1 jaya April 17, 2010 at 10:20 am

Hi Sunita, thease crunchy fries definitely lifted my mood……I am off to kitchen to prepare them now , smhow they never fail to bring crispiness in otherwise mundane meals…

2 Rosa April 17, 2010 at 3:03 pm

OMG, they look soooooooo scrumptious! They remind me of the deep fried potatoes you can get from fish & chips…

3 Srimathi April 17, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Hi sunitha,

Welcome back. i know its hard to get back to the regular schedule after visiting home. Its a good idea to eat some comfort food . They crunches looks very yum.

4 Preeti April 17, 2010 at 5:54 pm

These beauties are perfect on a rainy day, along with a cuppa hot chai or coffee :)
I can’t wait for the monsoon to begin

5 Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal April 17, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Sunita, they look great !!!

6 Asha@FSK April 17, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Bhajjis!!! :) )) I love bhajjis especially on a rainy day… Oh! OH!

7 Preeti April 18, 2010 at 4:37 am

Just GR8!!!! I love potato bhajjis.

8 Aparna April 18, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I have never met a person who didin’t like these sliced potato “bhajjiyas”. :) They’ve saved me on many an occasion when I ‘ve had unexpected guests for tea! And of course, they’re perfect on a rainy evening with a hot cup of tea.

9 nags April 18, 2010 at 2:47 pm

i love the onion ones! it gives a nice sweet flavour to the fries. we call them bajji btw :)

10 Cherine April 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Those look sooooo good!

11 Cynthia April 18, 2010 at 8:50 pm

This is wickedly good!

12 Cooking Foodie April 20, 2010 at 5:21 am

These are my favourite too. I add some spices to the batter though! Perfect with a hot cup of tea…

13 Dave April 25, 2010 at 1:10 pm