Mini lemon bundts (eggless)

by Sunita on April 19, 2010

The weather has been really pleasant fort the last few days- clear blue skies; white , fluffy clouds floating across them; the gentle breeze touching the skin, but not making us shiver. Not hot, not cold, but just right. Although, I might have to eat my words soon, as today doesn’t fit the above description too well and the sun is struggling to live up to the glory that we had almost gotten used to in the last few days. Perhaps, there are still a few days to go for that ‘perfect’  beach weather.

Yesterday, was a picture perfect day and we made the most of it, driving through our lush Suffolk countryside, stopping now and then, to take in the beautiful landscape . A stop at a local farm seemed just right and we took a lovely walk along the farm trail. A day well spent, I say.

We came back to enjoy these simple lemon cakes drizzled with lemon icing that I had made earlier. Light and refreshingly good, these cakes were gone in minutes.

grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 C +2tblsp of whole wheat flour (atta)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 C + 2 tblsp of milk
4 tblsp of sunflower/vegetable oil
4 tblsp of raw cane sugar ( you can use the normal sugar too)
6 tblsp of lemon juice

For the lemon icing-
Mix a few tblsps of icing sugar with a little lemon juice to make a free flowing icing

a little lemon zest for sprinkling on the top of the icing (optional)

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and grease two 4 inch bundt pans.
  2. Ina bowl, place the flour, baking powder, soda and zest in a bowl and rub in with the fingertips.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, oil and sugar.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the milk mixture. Fold in.
  5. Add the lemon juice and fold in.
  6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pans and tap against the counter.
  7. Place the pans in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 25-28 minutes or till the top is lightly golden and a toothpick inserted through the centre of the cakes comes out clean.
  8. Cool the cakes in the pan for a few minutes. Gently remove the cakes and place them upside down on a rack and cool completely.
  9. Drizzle the icing over the cakes and sprinkle a little zest, if adding any.

These cakes had lemony goodnesss in every bite. The only complaint- there should have been more ;-)

1 Happy Cook April 19, 2010 at 2:30 pm

This is my kind of cake for coffee/tea. I love cakes like this. Looks beautifulu. Hope the weather stays sunny like this for a while.

2 Rosa April 19, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Those look cute and delicious! Lovely spring shots

3 Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal April 19, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Beautiful Pics Sunita, very tempting. I am wondering on your think spice events, is there a new one since “Amchur”?

4 Sunita April 19, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I’ve updated the spice in my side bar :-)

5 Mona April 19, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Wow, those delicious cakes look so yummy Sunita. And the clicks are gorgeous!

6 Cherine April 19, 2010 at 6:46 pm

A fabulous treat! Your photos are mouth-watering!

7 snooky doodle April 19, 2010 at 8:45 pm

oh wow these look so good!!!!

8 Michelle April 19, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Wow, those delicious cakes look so yummy Sunita. And the clicks are gorgeous!

9 Su-yin April 19, 2010 at 9:53 pm

These are SO pretty – love the photos of the drippy lemon syrup! Where did you get your mini bundt tins, if you don’t mind me asking?

10 Sunita April 21, 2010 at 8:40 am

Thanks Su-yin, I got the pans from a local store; unfortunately,they’ve moved :-(

11 SuperChef April 20, 2010 at 1:50 am

ohh Sunita!! this is torture!!

12 Wizzythestick April 20, 2010 at 2:08 am

These are almost too pretty to eat:-)

13 Nachiketa April 20, 2010 at 7:25 am

hi!

You are such a saviour….. had made Deeba’s rocking Lemon cake and was looking for an eggless version for a friend whose allergic to eggs…. you come at just the right time……

Just a quick question…. can i double this quantity and make a single bundt or does this work well only in smaller versions? and why do we “rub in with the fingertips”….

The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts – Nachiketa
Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

14 Sunita April 21, 2010 at 8:42 am

Glad to be of assistance ;-) Yes, you can make a single bundt instead of two. And rubbing in with the fingertips helps to release the oils in the lemon zest and adds more flavour to the flour.

15 Anu April 20, 2010 at 7:57 am

Hi,

This recipe looks yummy.. I know all your recipes are healthy… but can i try this with all purpose flour and what would be the measurement would it be same..as whole wheat flour?

thanks anu

16 Sunita April 21, 2010 at 8:46 am

You can use all purpose flour, just reduce the liquid a bit.

17 Nirmala April 20, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Thats a beautiful piece of sunshine Sunita!

18 Alka April 20, 2010 at 1:00 pm

lovely little cakes.. yum!

19 deeba April 20, 2010 at 1:07 pm

GORGEOUS and screaming SPRING!! Love ‘em Sunita!!

20 Maria April 20, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Pretty little cakes!

21 Sharmilee April 21, 2010 at 8:41 am

I’m wondering how ur cakes alone puff up so much that too with whole wheat flour….Can u suggest some tips? Whenever I try with ataa my cakes are flat :(

22 Sunita April 25, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Sharmilee, the measurements for almost all the cakes that you find here have been calculated by myself, and was not a substitution for any recipe with plain flour. However , if you are substituting plain flour with whole wheat flour from a published recipe, then reduce the amount of whole wheat flour. Hope this helps.

23 anisa April 23, 2010 at 11:25 am

I live in India and had a little trouble getting hold of a lemon so I used lime (neembu) instead. The cake tasted lovely with a very nice texture, however it also had a slight bitter after taste.

Is there any way I can avoid that the next time? This recipe is a keeper and I don’t want to avoid it for something so silly! Please advice!

Thanks, Anisa

24 Sunita April 25, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Hi Anisa,

Glad you liked the cake. While zesting the lemon/lime, please make sure that you have only the green part of the peel, the white part might bring in a bitter taste.

25 sarah April 24, 2010 at 8:39 am

Hi Suinta, I have a question similar to Sharmilee’s above. I would like to do all my baked goods with whole wheat flour as you do. When you use a published recipe, do you increase the baking powder/soda when you substitute the whole wheat for white flour? Thanks for any advice you can give me. These little cakes look delicious! Lemon is such a nice spring flavour and suits a bright day after a ramble.

26 Sunita April 25, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Sarah, as I’ve mentioned to Sharmilee above, the measurements for almost all the cakes that you find here have been calculated by myself, and was not a substitution for any recipe with plain flour. However , if you are substituting plain flour with whole wheat flour from a published recipe, then reduce the amount of whole wheat flour. Hope this helps.

27 sarah April 26, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Thanks, Sunita. (Sorry to make you write the same thing twice!) I realise you develop your own recipes. I am sure I will get to that stage in time! Thanks for your help and the regular inspiration.

28 Robin April 25, 2010 at 4:27 am

lovely little cakes.. yum!

29 Anthony April 25, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Thats a beautiful piece of sunshine Sunita!

30 Tanvi April 26, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I m always on a look out for oil less receipes.This receipe is great but i just wanna know if i could use some other flvouring like mint, vanilla etc in place of lemon.Unfortunately, Me and my husband are not a great fan of lemon flavour in cakes.
Could you suggest?
Thanks
Tanvi

31 Sunita April 27, 2010 at 5:35 am

Tanvi, you can easily leave out the lemon and substitute with some vanilla essence . Also, add a couple of tblsp more milk in place of the lemon juice.

32 Soma April 28, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Bookmarked. Sounds the kind I have been wanting to make, eggless, fresh and easy.

33 Soma April 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Sunita, the cake is done :-D Thanks a bunch. i have other plans with it and if it works out I’ll post it. Used lime as i had only lime at home.

34 ~nm April 29, 2010 at 8:12 am

hey! I made this cake with slight variation and it turned out pretty good. Thanks for sharing a good eggless cake recipe.

The variation I did was I used half maida and half atta.

35 Sunita April 29, 2010 at 10:01 am

Glad you liked it :-)

36 Vini June 13, 2010 at 12:48 am

I tried this cake.It was awesome..I want to try this again.Can you tell me what changes will i need to make in case i plan to add quarter cup choc chips or blueberries?
Thanks in advance

Vini

37 A.Suffiyah February 22, 2013 at 9:02 am

Hey Sunita! Thx for your recepie. The photos look mouth watering. I tried to bake this today. When I mixed the two mixtures together the mixture turns into a dough. The atta flour is too thick. Is it okay if I add a tablespoon or two of fresh milk? And can I use the batter as a batter for cupcakes?

38 Sunita February 22, 2013 at 11:29 am

Sometimes there are differences in the consistencies of flours, if you think that the batter is feeling a bit too thick, a little extra milk should do no harm. I haven’t made cupcakes with this , but I’m sure you could definitely give them a try.

39 A.Suffiyah April 12, 2013 at 10:48 am

Thx for replying. I have given it a try based on your advice and it worked out great. Thank you again for your recepie..

40 Sunita April 12, 2013 at 5:34 pm

You are most welcome, glad that it worked out.