Half term is over, the kids are back at school for the second half of their last term before school breaks up fro the summer holidays. So, the household is pretty much back to the routine; early morning rush, school, homework, projects, cycling, punctures -the works.
Weather wise, the temperatures have risen, and though it is not exactly sweltering in our neck of the woods, it’s quite pleasant. Longer hours of daylight, the birds chirping merrily, colours everywhere; it’s actually quite nice right now.
The following dish of whole wheat fusili pasta with roasted mushroom and orange pepper sauce is something which complemented the weather, simple to cook, but filling and healthy at the same time.
Orange peppers and closed capped mushrooms have been roasted with an assortment of herbs and spices. Half of the mixture is then ground to a sauce and is then added to the pasta along with the rest of the roasted goodies and other vegetables. I’m really proud of this dish as it was put together in the last minute, one ingredient after the other.
The orange peppers add a nice, light taste to the dish. I have cooked the pasta in stock, which, again, lends additional flavour. I think red or yellow peppers would also work well in this recipe, though I’m not so sure about the green ones. The best part of this dish is that it requires minimun effort. While the peppers and mushrooms were roasting away in the oven, the pasta was bubbling away to glory on the cooker. Afterwards, a little whirring of the food processor, a little tossing in a bowl, and it was all done.
250 gms of wholewheat fusili pasta
enoughvegetable/chicken stock to cook the pasta
few handfuls of peas and sweetcorn
3 orange peppers ( red or yellow will do as well), deseeded and chopped
6-7 closed cap mushrooms, sliced
4 large cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tblsp of oregano
1 tsp crushed red chillies (more or less) + a little extra for garnish
2+1 tblsp of olive oil
salt + freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pre heat the oven at 220 deg C.
- Toss together the peppers, mushrooms, garlic, chilli , oregano and 2 tblsp of olive oli in a baking tray.
- Place the tray in the top rack of the oven and bake for about 20-22 minutes. The peppers and mushrooms should brown lightly, but should still be juicy and not dry out completely.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in enough stock till al dente (firm to the bite). When the pasta is nearly cooked, add the peas and sweetcorn. Drain completely and rinse in cold water to stop the pasta from cooking further. Keep aside in a large bowl.
- Grind half of the roasted pepper and mushroom mixture ( does not need to be completely smooth)
and mix in with the pasta, peas and sweetcorn.
Add the rest of the roasted mixture and mix in.
Check the seasoning and serve immediately with some fresh salad. Garnish with some more freshly ground pepper and crushed red chillies.
That’s it, very simple to make, but healthy and filling at the same time. Give it a try this summer