Banana and chocolate cupcakes with a soured cream frosting (eggless)

by Sunita on June 13, 2010

The football fever? Yes, like millions around the world, the World Cup bug has hit our household too, complete with shouts and groans, and yes,very loud at times ( actually, most times).

Dinesh and Agastya have been hit by the bug for real. Dinesh has always been a great fan of football, and the World Cup has brought it out to the fore front even more. And he has been joined, this time, by Agastya. Time does pass by. Watching both of them yesterday, my mind flew back to the World Cup of 2002, when Rengoni was just a few months old.

For some reason, Rengoni was playing up that day and I was just comingĀ  after, finally, having put her to bed when, suddenly, I hear, ‘GOAL!’, and if I could make the bold writing any more bolder, I would probably do that, many times over. Well, what perfect timing; and little Rengoni who woke up with a jump, was howling away, as my super annoyed eyes met a very sheepish Dinesh! At least, this time around, he’s got a partner in crime in Agastya and of course, no little babies around. As for Rengoni and football, they couldn’t be more apart from each other.

When I was younger, you know, when Maradona was in his hey day, it would be my Deuta ( father) and dada (older brother) who would let out those screams and groans every now and then. Deuta, himself a player in his hey days, would help me understand the game, not that it did much good though! I still know just the basics though!

As for myself, although I’m not a great football fan, the lover of sport in me, can’t help but get caught up in all the madness. Not as much as Dinesh though; he’s the resident footie fan! I watch a little and then, I return to the kitchen and bake! The following eggless banana cupcakes with soured cream frosting is the outcome of one such trip to the kitchen.

What about you? Have you been caught up in all the football madness? While you think aboutĀ  that, here’s the recipe for the cupcakes-

1/2 C +3tblsp of whole wheat flour (atta)
5 tblsp of cocoa powder
6 tblsp muscovado sugar ( or other dark brown sugar)
1 and 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
5 tblsp sunflower/vegetable oil
6 tblsp milk
1 medium sized ripe banana

For frosting-
150 ml of soured cream
70 gms dark chocolate, melted and cooled

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line a cupcake tray.
  2. Puree the banana along with the sugar. Mix in the milk and oil and keep aside.
  3. in a bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the banana mixture. Fold in to form a thick batter.
  5. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake liners ( makes 10-11). If you do not want to frost the cupcakes and would like to add some nuts instead, now is the time to sprinkle them on top.
  6. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
  7. Transfer the cupcakes to a rack and cool completely before frosting.
  8. Mix together the cream and the chocolate, and whisk thoroughly. If you like it sweet, add a little sugar. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe on top of the cupcakes. I also scattered a little pink praline on top.

These are very moist cupcakes. I eve left a few of them plain and those were received with equal enthusiasm.

1 Rosa June 13, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Magnificent! I could eat one right now with my coffee!

2 snooky doodle June 13, 2010 at 6:56 pm

yum yum simply decadent !

3 Mowie @ Mowielicious June 13, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Gorgeous pink cupcakes Sunita! The flavour combination sounds fantastic. And yes, football fever is high in our flat too – I do love it.

4 Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal June 14, 2010 at 12:58 am

Wow Sunita, what mouth watering cupcakes. Too beautiful to even eat, but scrumptious :)

5 Parita June 14, 2010 at 6:14 am

Delicious looking cupcakes..love the frosting!

6 Sharmila June 14, 2010 at 6:26 am

Delicious looking cup cakes Sunita! No eggs … so can make it anytime. And wonderful snaps … as always. :-)

7 Meeta June 14, 2010 at 7:50 am

luscious and decadent. just love the decoration!

8 Happy Cook June 14, 2010 at 9:42 am

Beautiful and looks so moist delcious. Here none of us a football fans , and I miss my programmes as they all are messed up with the gootball in TV :-(

9 Jamie June 14, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I would sit through even the most boring football game if I had a plate of these in front of me! Love banana and chocolate together and these look so delicious – better than I’ve ever made. Scrumptious! We are watching the matches but waiting for rugby season to start up again.

10 Sanjeeta kk June 14, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Wow!! The picture tempts to try out the recipe for sure.

11 Alka June 14, 2010 at 3:08 pm

omg, how delicious!!! at my place, I’m obssessed with it and my better half is my polar opposite!

12 sanyukta gour(bayes) June 15, 2010 at 1:06 am

ahhhhhhhhhhhh….bful and divine….lovely n droooling pics…
follwing u

13 sharigoodman@gmail.com June 15, 2010 at 1:08 am

Now thqt’s a cupcake!! Absolutely beautiful!

14 Vaishali June 15, 2010 at 2:15 am

Perfect cupcakes! Looks Moist, yummy n cute :)

15 Su-yin June 15, 2010 at 10:47 am

These look gorgeous. Banana and chocolate has to be one of my favourite flavour combinations, and you’ve done it much pride here. :) I’ve said this before, and once again I must say it – I really like how you use atta flour in most of your baked goods!

16 RupaRupa June 15, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Yum is the word…i can have a couple of them right away…any substitute for sour cream? I dont know if we get it in our supermarkets here

17 valentina June 15, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Oh, these are fabulous. i am particularly taken by the icing. I am not a big fan of buttercream. I like something lighter. Banana is a flavour that is very big in Brazil. Brazilians are not big bakers with fruit but bananas are an exception.

18 bellini valli June 15, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Hi Sunita. I wouldn’t turn down one of these day or night:D

19 Jeanne @ CookSister! June 16, 2010 at 10:21 am

Yumyumyum! And yes, unsurprisingly I HAVE been caught up in the football madness, not because I ever watch football, but because the tournament is beign hosted in my gorgeous country, South Africa! Woo hoo! Nick has his vuvuzela ready for tonight’s match against Uruguay :)

20 Nic June 16, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Those look brilliant, very delicious indeed.
I think football would be brilliant if there were MORE goals! It’s so boring after 5 minutes.