An inspired lunch for one!

by Sunita on June 18, 2010

It’s amazing how inspiration comes in handy at the most unexpected moment. There I was, home alone, nose clogged, head throbbing, body aching, and tummy rumbling. Lunch time was approaching fast, and I had almost made up my mind to pass it by. There were no leftovers, and the contents in the  refrigerator were not very inspiring. There was nothing I could make very quickly.

And then, as I  opened a cupboard, my eyes fell on a pack of whole wheat spaghetti. Hang on a minute! I headed back to the refrigerator- there were chillies, and basil. And there were also some mushrooms. Outside,there was garlic. Hmm, might work out after all.

You see, a couple of days ago,I caught Gino d’ Acampo rustling up this very simple and quick pasta dish with just olive oil, garlic, chilli and parsley. Cooked pasta was tossed in a pan pf shallow fried chillies, garlic and parsley. I thought it looked quite attractive at the time, but, then, I forgot about it. Until today. I had no parsley, so some basil were summoned to fill in the place. I also wanted it to be a little more filling, so added some mushrooms as well. In a few minutes, I was curled up on the couch with a bowl of flavourful pasta. Life seemed so much brighter!

Good food does make one feel so much better, doesn’t it? See, it even made me remember to take a few quick photos of the dish too!

And I can’t wait ot share the recipe with you either. So, here goes-

What’s needed (for 1 person)-

100 gms of wholewheat spaghetti
2 tblsp of olive oil
1 small medium hot chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
a small handful of basil leaves, finely chopped
2 closd cup mushrooms, sliced
salt + freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Cook the spaghetti in salted water till al dente ( firm to the bite)
  2. When the spaghetti is nearly cooked ( last 2 minutes), heat the oil in a pan.
  3. Add the garlic, chilli, basil and mushrooms and cook till the mushrooms soften.
  4. Drain the pasta and add to the pan; doesn’t have to be too dry, and in fact, a little moisture helps.
  5. Stir well so that the pasta is well coated with the flavoured oil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
  6. Serve immediately.

There! A simple and quick dish, full of flavours.

Now, let’s see what I can make for dinner! Have a great weekend everyone!

1 Rosa June 18, 2010 at 3:52 pm

A fantastic combination! That is the kind of dish I sometimes make…

2 sanyukta gour(bayes) June 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm

ahhhhhhhhh…love mushrooom spagetthi…healthy n filling….amazing pics….mouthwatering…….

3 sheba June 18, 2010 at 4:51 pm

gosh, it does look inviting…and guess what I do seem to have the ingredients at hand…love that its so simple and fuss free…

4 Divya Vikram June 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Simple and refreshing :)

5 praniskitchen June 18, 2010 at 7:04 pm

ya really delicious lunch ..very simple and healthy..mushrooms give nice flavour sometimes i add the masala so it tsate so yumm..good one sunitha

6 mallugirl June 18, 2010 at 7:41 pm

There is nothing like inspiration to get the nose and brain flowing.:)) this is my fav way of eating spaghetti.

7 Deepa June 19, 2010 at 7:19 am

Hey Sunita, womderful clicks as always..very delicious lunch..

8 Jacqueline June 19, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Delicious! This is the type of simple meal I love when I am on my own. Easy, quick and so tasty :)

9 Sunita June 20, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Thanks everyone; yes, it was a very simple, yet very pleasing meal.

10 poornima krishnan June 20, 2010 at 11:49 pm

This is my all time favourite comfort food.A little parmesan added and you are in heaven!

11 Lakshmi June 21, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Oh..I can imagine curling up on the couch with a bowlful of this pasta…yummmm

12 Marla June 27, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Sunita this pasta sounds wonderful!
It is vegetarian week at Get Grillin’ we would love if you submitted up to any 3 recipes (they don’t have to be grilled) to our link up. This one would be perfect!