A low fat strawberry and almond layered cake

by Sunita on June 23, 2010

I have probably mentioned innumerable times about how lucky we feel to be living where we are. Fields, farms, bridle paths, and forests, even beaches are all with a fifteen minutes drive. The Suffolk landscape has been the source of inspiration for many an artist, the undulating fields, the beautiful coastlines and the forever changing skyscapes providing enough inspiration.

And amazing skyscapes-

Our area also has some the country’s best cycle paths. In fact, our local high school holds the record for the country, for the most number of children taking their bikes to school.

Of course, you see no high rise buildings or large shopping arcades. There’s just a small supermarket in the centre.  What you do see, however, are small farm shops lining the  outskirts of the town, selling fresh produce.What you also see, are not people making a mad dash for somewhere with barely a smile. What you do see, are almost the same people, but with a slight nod of the head accompanied by a smile.

I am a city girl, born, brought up, married and so on. I have spent most of my life in the midst of the bustle, noise and grime of a city. But, probably, I am a country girl in some remote corner of  my heart. I love the peace and quiet of the countryside. I remember trips to the countryside when we were in India, times when I felt a sense of belonging to the open expanses. I never got “bored” with the quietness and “lack of things to do”.

Of course, a trip to the city, now and then, is much appreciated for the energy that exists in it.

The city!

But, again, such trips also make me appreciate the serenity of where we live, even more.

What about yourself ? are you a city or a country person?

By the way, do you remember this post where I showed you those gorgeous strawberries sold on a roadside stall?

We have become it’s regular visitors, lapping up the fresh produce with glee. Everything sold there is has literally been produced behind it. How much more local can you get?

The strawberries from this little shop are to die for- as juicy and sweet as they can be.. We usually end up buying a lot and they disappear in moments.

The following was put together quickly when the need for dessert arose. A very simple fat free sponge was cut up and layered with fresh strawberries and quark ( a virtually fat free soft cheese) , with some chopped almonds stuck on the side.

3 eggs

1/2 C of finely ground sugar

5 tblsp of whole wheat flour(atta)

1 tsp lemon zest

a little oil to brush the pan

200 gms of quark(a virtually fat free soft cheese) or other low fat soft cheese

about 20 strawberries, 10 halved and 10chopped

1/4 C chopped almonds

3-4 tblsp of honey

1. Pre heat the oven at 200 deg C. Brush a 11 inch by 9 inch pan with a little oil and line with non stick baking paper.
  2. Beat together the eggs and sugar till very thick and pale. when the beaters are lifted, they should leave a trail on the surface for a few seconds.
  3. Rub in the lemon zest into the flour. Very gently ( or you will knock out most of the air from the egg mixture), fold in the flour into the egg mixture, in three batches. Do not over mix.
  4. Transfer the mixture into the preparted pan and gently, smooth the top, spreading into the corners.
  5. place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 10-12 minutes or till the centre of the cake is springy to the touch.
  6. Turn the cake onto a wire rack and peel away the baking paper. Cool completely.
  7. Trim the sides of the cake and cut it into three equal sizes of about 2 and 1/2 inches by 7 inches. Mix together the quark and honey till smooth and keep aside.
  8. Arrange one piece of cake on a serving plate and spread a little quark on it. Sprinkle 1/2 of the chopped strawberries on top. Spread a little quark on another slice of cake and place it on top of the strawberries, quark side down. Spread some more quark on the side facing up, followed by the rest of the chopped strawberries. spread some quark on the third slice of cake and place it on top of the strawberries. Now cover the top and sides of the whole cake with the remaining quark. Press the almonds around the sides and the strawberry halves on top, cut side downwards.
  9. Chill the cake for at least an hour and dust the top with a little icing sugar.

There you have it! A cake simple to make, and as great to eat, as it is pretty to look at.

I must mention that the “look” was inspired by a cake from Martha Day. The measurements are mine though. The deliciously sweet strawberries occupied centre stage in this dessert.

1 Happy Cook June 23, 2010 at 1:55 pm

They just looks so so beautiful . Just had my share of sugar high and as this one is light i would love to have a portion :-)

2 Renata June 23, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Sunita, your strawberry dessert looks delish, I have to try this one out! Lovely photos!

3 Rosa June 23, 2010 at 2:19 pm

That layer cake looks delightful! A wonderful strawberry dessert!

4 Sanjeeta kk June 23, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Yes lucky and blessed. Beautiful and serene pictures. Lovely recipe too, strawberry looks tempting to try the dessert.

5 Malar Gandhi June 23, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Strawberry almond cake looks gorgeous, very appealing. Thanks for sharing those lovely pictures…its amazing to live in a country side…with fields around.

6 Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal June 23, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Wow Sunita, beautiful pics there and what a delicious looking cake, lovely :)

7 kalva June 23, 2010 at 4:19 pm

amazing pictures love the cake…

8 sanyukta gour(bayes) June 23, 2010 at 5:33 pm

ah……..droooooling…lovely n inviting dessert..the fresh strawberries catches the eye…healtty with atta,almonds and fruit…heavenly..thanks for sharing the lovley pics…

9 Deepa June 23, 2010 at 8:36 pm

cake looks like the one we get from bakeries…nice snaps…very simple recipe…

10 Sailaja Damodaran June 24, 2010 at 1:56 am

Looks very tempting….BTW what is quark?Can we replace it with sour cream or softened cream cheese?Bcoz wanted to give a try.

11 Sunita June 24, 2010 at 5:21 am

Sailaja, quark is a virtually fat free soft cheese . Other softened cream cheeses should work too.

12 Suparna June 24, 2010 at 2:36 am

Lovely cake Sunita ! I love strawberries too. Am sure to make this one !
Thanks for posting it.

13 Meeta June 24, 2010 at 7:05 am

dessert in a hurry! i like it!

14 crazy cook June 24, 2010 at 8:35 am

Hi Sunita

Its been an absolute gift that I chanced upon ur blog… n then ur website. I hav tried some of ur recipes..and all at home love it! Thnakyou for sharing ur delicious n innovative recipes.. I also love the photos posted on ur website…so clean n meticulous! please do share with me how you do it… I also think you should diversify and start a new website/blog on the principles n tricks of photography for beginners..you will certainly hav an ardent deciple in me… just a suggestion though :)

once again …. thanks for t lovely dishes!

15 Sunita July 2, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Welcome, glad you are enjoying it here :-) Btw, might think about your suggestion in the future ;-)

16 anushruti June 24, 2010 at 9:19 am

I love your idea of combining satrawberries and almonds here.

17 Margot June 24, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Beautiful images Sunita and the cake look soooo delicious!! :)

18 Sweta June 24, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I’ve been a silent reader of your blogs for a long time. Love all the recipies..But i cant always bake the goodies i see here due to the eggs. Would you know what egg substitute would work in this cake?

19 Sunita July 2, 2010 at 8:52 pm

This recipe might help- http://sunitabhuyan.com/?p=1946

20 Divya Vikram June 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Gorgeous pictures Sunita. Lovely cake!

21 Yamini June 25, 2010 at 11:08 am

Wow! this looks so delish – and its virtually fat-free!! all the more reason to indulge! :)

22 Muskaan June 25, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Wonderful strawberry almond layer cake..looks divine.

23 Jamie June 27, 2010 at 8:56 am

I love this! Juicy sweet strawberries are summer itself and I love them. And a fat free quark cream is perfect! And this cake is beautiful and the perfect way to eat both the berries and the cream. Fabulous creation, Sunita!

24 Sunita July 2, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Glad you are liking the cake,it was a perfectly summery dessert :-)

25 Sue July 20, 2010 at 11:29 pm

What a beautiful and delicious cake!
Your photos are GORGEOUS!

Though I grew up in Los Angeles county, I now love the country so much more!