Seekh kebab wraps

by Sunita on June 25, 2010

Kebab is a wide variety of meat dishes originating in the Middle East, and now found worldwide. In English, kebabwith no qualification generally refers more specifically to shish kebab or döner kebab served wrapped in bread with a salad and a dressing. But in the Middle East, kebab includes grilled, roasted, and stewed dishes of large or small cuts of meat, or even ground meat; it may be served on plates, in sandwiches, or in bowls. The traditional meat for kebab is lamb, but depending on local tastes and taboos it may now be beef, goat, chicken, pork; fish and seafood; or even vegetarian foods like tofu. Like other ethnic foods brought by travellers, the kebab has become part of everyday cuisine in multicultural countries around the globe.(more here)

Seekh/ Shish kebabs ( aren’t they the same?) is a kebab made with ground meat mixed with spices and wrapped around skewers and grilled. Originally, they were done over fire, but they can also be recreated inside the comforts of a modern kitchen with the help of the oven.

Although this kebab is usually made with just ground meat and spices, I add a little grated carrot and fresh herbs like coriander or mint for more flavour.

I made this last week for dinner and they took their pride of place inside a tortilla along with a fresh salad. With a little sour cream , every bite of the wrap elicited ‘mmm’s. These wraps are also perfect for picnics and lunchboxes. And since they are compact and all you need to do is hold and bite into them, they are also great to pass around as you watch a so and so match ;-)

For the kebabs-

500 gms of lamb mince
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tblsp of olive oil
1 medium sized carrot, grated
1/2 C of finely chopped coriander
2 tblsp cumin powder
4 tblsp low fat natural yogurt
salt to taste
8 bamboo skewers

For the wraps-

8 tortillas ( recipe for home made tortillas)
lettuce, torn
red pepper ( or orange or yellow)
cucumber
300 ml of soured cream ( or just use some greek yogurt or strained plain yogurt)

1. Soak the skewers in cold water for at least 20 minutes.
  2. Pre heat the oven at 220deg C.
  3. Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions, ginger and garlic. Stir and cook till the onions soften. Remove from heat.
  4. In a large bowl, add the mince and the rest of the ingredients, along with the cooked spices. Mix well till everything comes together nicely.
  5. Divide the mixture into eight equal portions. Place one portion in one hand and pierce a skewer through it, trying to wrap the mixture around it in the shape of a sausage. Damp hands help to mould then around the skewers more easily.
  6. Arrange on a rack placed over a tray to catch the drippings. Repeat the same for the rest of the portions.
  7. Place the tray in the upper rack of the pre heated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes ( or till nicely browned on all sides), turning them over a couple of times in between. Check frequently towards the end as they might burn.
  8. To make the wraps, spread a little soured cream on a slightly warmed tortilla. On one half of the tortilla place some lettuce , followed by a kebab, cucumbers and peppers. Spoon a little more soured cream over them and roll it up, making sure to tuck in the sides.
  9. Slice diagonally, wrap in tissue/foil and serve /pack  for taking away.

The best thing about wraps is that you gat everything in it, you can fill it with your choice of fillings and are very handy finger foods. These wraps were a delight to bite into. You bite into the soft tortilla, followed by the crunchy lettuce, cucumber and pepper and reach the succulent kebab within. It was a nice healthy dinner, and filling as well.

Want a bite?

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 arundati June 25, 2010 at 10:38 am

omg! look fabulous!

2 Sonia June 25, 2010 at 11:52 am

Lovely kebabs, Sunita. Look scrumptious. Though I would love to try vegetarian version for us! :)

3 Sunita June 25, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Sonia, your wish is granted!Check this out- http://sunitabhuyan.com/?p=911

4 Sonia June 25, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Ahh! Thank you Sunita for veg kebab link. :)
Guess what? Today, I made (2nd time) your Paneer Tomato curry for dinner and needless to say it’s lip-smacking good and we (especially my hubby) wiped out in no time. :) Thanks for that! Have a good weekend ahead.

5 Sunita June 25, 2010 at 2:34 pm

erm, it’s not exactly a veg kebab, but a yummy veg wrap ;-)

6 shifa firoz June 25, 2010 at 11:52 am

looks so good.. :) will try this weekend :)

7 Rosa June 25, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Yummy wraps! I really like your idea. A perfect summer meal!

8 BongMom June 25, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Sunita

Wraps are gorgeous. Love the new look of the blog, did I say that before ?

9 SS June 25, 2010 at 3:22 pm

These look so yum! Nice pics too. Very tantalizing indeed! Thanks for the recipe.

10 sanjeeta kk June 25, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Beautiful recipe. Might replace potato/Yam with the meat to get my version of your recipe. Thanks for sharing. A pleasure to visit your site.

11 Soma June 25, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Yes Yes Yes!! reminded me to the rolls in Calcutta. ..esp. the Badshah rolls. Don’t know if you ever had them. How I miss them.

12 Sunita July 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm

iIhad quite a few rolls in Kolkata, but I’m sorry to say that i don’t exactly remember the names :-(

13 Sarah, Maison Cupcake June 26, 2010 at 10:28 am

I love good tortilla wrap but I’ve not made my own long kebabs like this. They look brilliant and I’m cursing myself for putting the mince back on the supermarket shelf yesterday in favour of some ready marinated bbq meat. Oh well, I am rather busy trying to finish my daring bakers and prepare for a party tomorrow. But I will definitely remember these.

14 Cherine June 26, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Looks wonderful! My favorite summer meal :)

15 praniskitchen June 27, 2010 at 5:58 am

wow delicious one.. perfectly done and very well explained good work sunitha

16 Jamie June 27, 2010 at 8:54 am

Wow perfect, Sunita! You have given me the best of both things I love: kefta and kabobs. I am trying this recipe. We love this and are always happy eating a meal like this.

17 Sunita July 2, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Thanks everyone for dropping by, this was a perfectly filling and healthy meal :-)