Hot and sweet vegetable fried rice with pineapples

by Sunita on June 30, 2010

Fried rice- for me, the very name spells- quick, easy and wholesome, not to mention easily customisable to suit one’s preferences. Whether you have it straight out of the pan, or pack it in your lunchbox, fried rice is a great way to make a filling meal with little effort. Needless to say, there are probably gazillions or fried recipes to be found, each with it’s own tweak; the options are absolutely limitless.

Fried rice makes it’s appearance in our house quite often too, especially in times such as these-when the weather is hot and one needs a filling meal without having to spend hours in front of the cooker. It is something that can be made quickly , served in bowls and taken outside to be eaten while enjoying the weather. It makes for such a lovely one pot meal.

The most important thing about fried rice is that the cooked rice should be absolutely cold; rice which has been lying in the refrigerator for a day or two is perfect for this. The rice should also not be overcooked or they tend to go mushy on frying.

I made this hot and sweet fried rice with pineapples the other day, in literally 10 minutes (provided that the pineapple was already peeled and cut into chunks the previous day). Here’s how I made it-

3 C of cooked rice ( preferably at least a day old, which has been refrigerated)
1 C small pieces of pineapple
1tsp + 3 tbsp of sunflower/vegetable oil
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 small carrot, cut into small pieces
1 medium hot red chilli, finely chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
1/2 C of fresh/frozen peas
a handful of almonds

1. Mix the 1 tsp oil with the rice to separate the grains. Keep asisde.
  2. Heat the 3 tblsp of  oil in a thick bottomed pan and add the cumin seeds. When they splutter, add the cumin powder. Stir constantly and add the chilli,ginger,  almonds, carrots and peas. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
  3. Add the rice, season with salt and mix well. Mix in the pineapple pieces. Stir and cook over high heat , stirring constantly till the rice is heated through.
  4. Remove from heat and serve hot . Or cool and pack in lunch boxes.

We loved this version of this colourful fried rice, an explosion of flavours and textures in each spoonful- the heat from the chilli, the sweetness from the pineapple and the bite ofromthe nuts!

1 Happy Cook June 30, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I make pineapple rice too and S jus tloves it each time. This looks super super yumm. But have to admit i use tinned pineapple.

2 Rosa June 30, 2010 at 2:28 pm

A delicious fried rice! I love that sweet and savory combination!

3 RV June 30, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I love pineapple flavored rice. Looks yumm.

4 Sudeshna July 1, 2010 at 4:41 am

I had always been an admirer of your photos. I also use wordpress platform but the photos automatically gets a frame when I publish the photos, can you please suggest how I can get rid of it?

5 Sanjeeta kk July 1, 2010 at 11:57 am

Beautiful clicks Sunita. Pineapple might give a beautiful flavor and taste to this rice. Must try adding it the next time I prepare fried rice.

6 sheba July 1, 2010 at 3:49 pm

This must have been awesome..and the addition of pineapple is truly lovely…I so want to have it now…

7 Subhashini July 1, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Hi
First time in your space .very nice collections.

8 Anjani July 1, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Hey sunita :)
I visited your blog last week and i’ve already tried 4 recipes from your blog, the cashew coffe cup cake, the chocolate banana cup cake , mini lemon bundts and the tomato garlic cheese swirls :) the lemon bundts dint turn out the right way… :( the rest of them were great! actually i started cooking just last week.. and i’ve been picking recipes from your blog only! my sister is the one who picks what to cook next :D . Just love this place! :)
Happy cooking

9 Sunita July 2, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Anjani, glad that you like this space and are enjoying the recipes. seems like you and your sister are having fun ;-)

10 sanyukta gour July 1, 2010 at 6:14 pm

grains r looking like pearls….mouthwatering and tempting rice…yum

11 elra July 1, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Utterly delicious, love the addition of pineapple. YUM:))

12 susan from food blogga July 2, 2010 at 1:06 am

I adore fried rice with pineapple and posted on it last year. Yours looks delicious, Sunita — so vibrant and fresh!

13 Naina(fateha) July 2, 2010 at 7:36 am

Simple & yet delicious.Will try it out very soon. Keep up the good work

14 Sunita July 2, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Thanks for dropping by :-)

15 Suresh Ramasubramanian July 5, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Pineapple’s an interesting idea – but I just add a dash of palm sugar and a few drops of dark soy sauce (the thai or singaporean ones preferably)

The pineapple tastes best on the side fresh cut with some salt and red chili powder. Or if you cook it, try grilling it like this – http://whatscookingamerica.net/Fruit/GrilledPineapple.htm

16 amreen July 19, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Amazing I will try this recipe

17 torviewtoronto July 28, 2010 at 3:07 am