Eggless oaty brownies

by Sunita on July 6, 2010

The long summer days are still continuing in our neck of the woods. We are not complaining though; after the extreme and bitterly cold winter that we have had, these long , sunny days are so welcome. It’s nice to out and about without having to think if the next step is the one that’s going to make me slip and twist my leg.

Coming back to the kitchen, every time I’m packing the kids’ lunchboxes, I’m greeted with “What’s for dessert mummy?”  Like me, both Rengoni and Agastya have a sweet tooth . Can’t really blame them, it’s in the genes!

Anyways, with school trips and picnics ruling the days, the following  eggless oaty brownies were made to satisfy those cravings and  as a sweet relief to the rest of the ‘healthier’ parts of the lunchbox. Not that the brownies were entirely ‘ naughty’ treats. After all, the whole wheat flour and oats did occupy centre stage. And they tasted so good. Forget about the lunchboxes, myself and Dinesh were to be found tucking into them at night. I had made them after the kids had gone to bed and we couldn’t stop ourselves from ‘trying’ them out. They were fudgy, chocolaty, yet did not leave us with a heavy feeling. I love adding nuts in brownies, but as they were going to be added to the kids’ lunchboxes, I left the nuts out ( so as not to affect those children in school, suffering from nut allergies).  But we still loved them enough to count the pieces left over, for later. So let’s hurry to the recipe-

1 and 1/2 C of whole wheat flour (atta)
3/4 C oat flakes
2 tblsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
150 gms of dark chocolate, melted and cooled
4 tblsp of dark brown sugar
2 C of milk
5 tblsp of sunflower/vegetable oil

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line an 8 inch square pan with foil.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, oats, cocoa powder and baking powder.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, oil and sugar.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the milk mixture. Fold in.
  5. Fold in the melted chocolate.
  6. Tip the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
  7. Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 30 minutes . It will be soft at this stage.
  8. Place the pan on a rack and cool completely in the pan.
  9. When completely cool, cut into 16 square and serve on it’s own or with some ice cream/whipped  cream.

1 CurryLeaf July 6, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Yummilicious.I wish I too were there when you made and tried this.Excellent brownies.Never tried with oats

2 Rosa July 6, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Those brownies look fantastic! Moist, fudgy and divinely chocolaty!

3 Asha@FSK July 6, 2010 at 2:43 pm

funny! i was thinking of making brownies today!! :) Yours look soo moist!

4 Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal July 6, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Wow Sunita, they look so delectable and mouth watering. I love brownies, wonderful pic :)

5 Krista July 6, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I love, love, love how healthy these are!! Yet they look so good and chocolatey. :-) I’m such a huge fan of using whole wheat in my desserts. I think it makes nearly everything taste better. :-)

6 pavithra July 6, 2010 at 6:25 pm

mm yummy and healthy brownie… I cannot wait to try this sunita.. look so perfect and gorgeous.

7 turmericnspice July 7, 2010 at 12:50 am

these brownies look devilishly delicious!!

8 meme July 7, 2010 at 2:13 pm

wooww sunita these r looking nice with oats..i will definately try with the nuts!!!

9 RV July 7, 2010 at 7:58 pm

This is a droolworthy and healthy brownies. In our part of the world, we have been cursed with lots of heat and MORE heat.

10 Rupa July 8, 2010 at 5:58 am

Hi Sunita…

Commenting after a long time … These simply look delicious !
Planning to make them this weekend. You are really really very creative … !

~ Rupa

11 Sanjeeta kk July 8, 2010 at 11:50 am

A great way to indulge in these delicacies. Since oats are there it makes all the more treat worthy.

12 Kiran July 10, 2010 at 10:17 am

As always you have made a healthy and delicious recipe, I will be trying this especially because it does not have eggs, thanks for the recipe.

13 Anu August 2, 2010 at 11:21 am

Hi,

This recipe looks yummy, can we try this only with coco powder and omit the chocolate .. any help on how much coco powder to be added if we skip the chocolate.

thanks
anu

14 Madhavi September 21, 2010 at 11:50 am

I made these brownies and topped it with slivered almonds. I actually made a big batch to give it to my friends but after popping one into my mouth didn’t have heart to. My daughter did ask whether we needed to share :-D .

Thanks a lot for sharing. Made peanut butter banana bread too but waiting for it to cool. You are such an inspiration.

Cheers!
Madhavi.

15 Sunita September 21, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Glad you liked the recipes Madhavi.

16 Sharbani September 29, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I am a new to baking n my oven has different settings like top heat only, bottom heat only, top n bottom heat…which one should i set for baking cakes n brownies….

pls help….

thanks n regards,
Sharbani

17 Sharmilee April 14, 2011 at 11:17 am

I tried this with little variation and the brownies have come out perfect I should say….the way I wanted fudgy, chocolatey n nutty :) Thanks for such a nice recipe Sunita!

18 Sharmilee September 19, 2011 at 3:54 am

Thanks for such a nice recipe…I tried, tasted and posted it just now :)

19 Sunita September 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Glad you liked it :-)

20 Aarti January 30, 2012 at 11:44 am

Can I make these without using dark chocolate and use only cocoa powder..?

21 Sunita January 31, 2012 at 8:15 pm

You could give it a try, though the chocolate does give the recipe a lift.

22 Gauri January 4, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Love the recipe and the pics…but could you tell me what kind of chocolate did you use…is it unsweetened dark chocolate or something else…do let me know i really want to try the recipe..plus does the recipe call for baking powder or baking soda..

23 Sunita January 20, 2013 at 12:49 am

I useed unsweetened dark chocolate and baking powder. Hope this helps.