Banana and nutella swirled bread (eggless)

by Sunita on July 23, 2010

The kids summer holidays have started. It was nice to wake up leisurely today- no early morning rush! Things have been practically crazy for the last few days and I have been  running around like a headless chicken. And that is the reason for the lack of posts for the last few days.

Yesterday, as I was rushing out to fetch the kids from school, there was a small parcel near the door.  I was in a hurry, so just put it away and went off. On returning, I checked the package and saw that it was from dear Jeanne. There was a note inside which said-

…I was in the South African shop the other day to get some things when I saw these and thought of you- so I’ve popped some in the post as I remember how much your gorgeous kids loved them…

You see, Jeanne had sent us this South African  fruit roll a few months back, along with some other goodies. I had mentioned to her how much we, especially the kids loved it. But , it was a while ago, and it was so thoughtful of her to remember. It was totally unexpected. Thanks Jeanne, it was a great start to their holidays; when I showed them the contents of the parcel, they even changed extra fast.

With the kids at home for the next six weeks, things are going to be busy and noisy. And the cooking/ baking will increase too- got two ever – hungry kids to take care of. Whether the posting will increase as well, is another matter though; but I will try to post as much as I can.

I made an eggless banana and nutella swirled bread yesterday, which, very nicely, took care of today’s afternoon snack, along with glasses of milk. The pictures were taken in a hurry, and are not exactly great, but it gives you an idea nevertheless. The bread tasted good though- very moist and crumbly.

Sorry for the rushed post, but I’ve got two active kids at home :-)

2 medium sized ripe bananas
5 tblsp of sugar (I used raw cane sugar)
6 tblsp of sunflower/vegetable oil
1 c of milk
2 and 1/2 c whole wheat flour (atta)
2 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp bicarbonate of soda
5-6 heaped tblsp of nutella

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line a loaf tin with foil. have a bit of foil overhanging on the sides, for lifting out the bread easily from the pan.
  2. Puree the bananas along with the sugar. Mix in the oil and milk.
  3. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and soda.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the banana mixture. Fold in till everything is moistened.
  5. Add the nutella and mix in very roughly.
  6. Tip the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
  7. Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes.After about 30 minutes, if the top browns too much, cover the top loosely with a piece of foil and bake for the rest of the minutes.
  8. Cool the bread in the pan  for a few minutes, lift it out gently with the help of the overhanging bit of foil, remove the foil, and cool completely on the rack before slicing.

Take care and I’ll see you next week. Enjoy your weekend!

1 Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal July 23, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Wow, love it.

2 SS July 23, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Hey Sunita.. the bread looks lovely. I am not sure I could find this in the post.. how many minutes do you bake?

3 Sunita July 24, 2010 at 11:37 am

Sorry about tgat, blame it on the hovering kids ;-) Have updated the post, thanks for pointing it out.

4 SS July 24, 2010 at 12:58 pm

No worries, thanks for the update.

5 Priya July 23, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Feel like grabbing some rite now….Scrumptious bread..

6 Rosa July 23, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Mmmhhh, totally irresistible! That cake looks particularly smooth. Yummy!

7 satya July 24, 2010 at 1:12 am

hi sunita,
u got a beautiful space here with lot of yummy recipes …i love ur baking collection very much …i am a newbie to baking n i tried couple of cake n they come out well so i need to do more specially cakes now …ur blog is an inspiration of me ..this banana swirled bread looks awesome …i will try it soon …
if u get time do visit my blog
Satya

8 Shirley July 24, 2010 at 1:29 am

Bananas and Nutella sound wonderful!

9 Barbara Bakes July 24, 2010 at 2:45 am

The pictures look great. I’d love a slice of this right now for dessert. Nutella makes everything taste better.

10 Jane @ Sweet Basil Kitchen July 24, 2010 at 3:20 am

ooohh this looks heavenly! Gotta love Nutella! I definately want to make this bread. Thanks!

11 shifa firoz July 24, 2010 at 4:57 am

my all time fav ingredient Nutella.. yummmm!!!

12 roopa July 24, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Wow sunita!, I am indeed a fan of nutella! A big fan ! thanks for posting this , i will be making this soon….my nutella just got over few days back….gonna buy another one soon:)

13 praniskitchen July 24, 2010 at 5:17 pm

thas a very delicious and and liked the main ingred as nuetella .. Perfectly made swirled bread

14 Srimathi July 24, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Hi sunita,

As I was looking through all the posts, i was thinking its been a while since I visited your blog and guess what the very next post was yours. Smiles. Looks like you are also having a good time with your kids and the recipes speak for itself. Wonderful pictures.

15 Jacqueline July 25, 2010 at 11:25 am

That looks gorgeous Sunita. I am going to give it a try. My nutella has been languishing in the cupboard since I gave up peanut butter (loved them on sandwiches together).

16 Kevin (Closet Cooking) July 25, 2010 at 2:00 pm

That bread looks nice and moist and good! I really like those thick swirls of nutella in them!

17 Lisa July 25, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Sunita – this looks absolutely amazing! The combo of nutella and banana in a bread. minus eggs is manna and won’t boost the cholesterol! Love it and bookmarked.

That said, I just had to pop in and tell you how NUTS everyone went over your DB ‘cannot reveal at this time’ challenge this weekend. I was so happy how it turned out and it was gone in seconds. I think this may be one of my fav DB challenges ever. Thank you so much!

18 RV July 25, 2010 at 8:01 pm

YUMM!!! Looks gorgeous

19 Reena July 26, 2010 at 8:34 am

Sunita,absolutely lovely recipe. I have to give it a try. What type of raw cane sugar is it? I am not sure we get it here. Also, is brown sugar better than white sugar for baking?Thanks!

20 Lakshmi July 26, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Love love this bread! Bookmarked!
What could I use in substitute to Nutella?

21 Swapna July 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Bread looks utterly delicious. My husband is not a big fan of banana in cake/bread. What other kind of fruit can I substitue? Orange? If so, how much/many would you say?

22 Shoba Shrinivasan July 28, 2010 at 5:19 am

The eggless Nutella bread/cake looks so yummy and delectable. Your kids must have loved it!!!

Shobha

23 JAYA August 2, 2010 at 9:14 am

hi Sunita

Thanx for this yummy recipe. My son love it. Once i made same above. 2nd time i added chocolate sauce instead of nutella. I like ur recipes sp breads.

24 Sunita August 2, 2010 at 9:34 am

Glad you liked the recipe :-)

25 maithri October 17, 2010 at 9:10 pm

hi!
tried this out..it came delicious! thank u so much! :)

26 Tiff@MakeLifeCreative February 7, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I tried this recipe today. YUMM! It was so moist and my kids went for the chocolate! I think they at half the loaf after school. Thanks for the recipe.