Peanut butter, dried fruits and seeds oats bars

by Sunita on August 11, 2010

Energy, that is what I need at the moment; energy to get all those things done, that seems to be piling up on my to do list. I try to look away, but when has that ever helped? What needs to be done, needs to be done! So, I am ploughing through the never ending list. The kids summer holidays are running at full speed, there are house guests arriving this weekend and so many things need to be sorted out. Just felt lazy one day and had hell to pay for the next day! Phew! Running around like a headless chicken? You bet!

And there’s the kids demanding a snack every now and then, fruits, nuts, all gone in minutes. No, we need something that will keep their ever hungry tummies satisfied for a little longer. And that’s where these peanut butter, dried fruits and seeds oats bars come in handy. These are real energy bars; one of them will keep you going for a long time. If you’re on the run, and cannot afford o sit down for breakfast, grab one of these bars, wrap in foil and munch on your way, will make you feel less guilty of skipping breakfast. These are great in lunch boxes too. As for myself, it surely gives me the energy I need so much. I’m looking around as I type this and another chore beckons. So, before I run after that, let me share the recipe for these deliciously crunchy and slightly chewy bars.

2 and a 1/2 c of jumbo oats
5 tblsp of raisins
1 tblsp pumpkin seeds
1 tblsp dried pomegranate seeds

5 tblsp dessicated coconut
5 tblsp dark muscovado sugar
7 tblsp ( slightly heaped) peanut butter
2 tblsp of sunflower oil
4 tblsp of milk

1. Pre heat the oven at 170 deg c and line an 8 inch square pan with foil.
  2. In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients except the sugar, oil, milk and peanut butter.
  3. In a small saucepan,add the milk, sugar, oil and peanut butter, and over low heat, stir the mixture till smooth. take care not to burn.
  4. Add the hot mixture into the oats mixture and mix well. use a spoon at first and then get your fingertips in and mix together as much as you can. It will be a very dry and crumbly mixture.
  5. Place the mixture in the prepared pan and press down very firmly.
  6. Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and baker for about 25 minutes.
  7. While still hot in the pan. Cut into twelve bars and cool completely in the pan.
  8. When cooled, lift everything out of the pan with the help of the overhanging foil. Separate the bars. Save in an air tight container.

You can add fruits, nuts and seeds of your choice.

There you go, the energy bars are now ready to be enjoyed.

1 Rosa August 11, 2010 at 10:17 am

Mmmmmhh, so irresistible! Those healthy bars must be divine.

2 Su-yin August 11, 2010 at 5:16 pm

These look great, Sunita. Where do you get dried pomegranate seeds from? I’m intrigued as have never seen them in shops before.

3 Mishmash! August 12, 2010 at 2:07 am

hi there :) How ‘ve u been? It’s been quite a while since I came by and just now watched ur kid’s cooking video…so adorable….both the video and the kids :) My hugs to them

4 suma August 12, 2010 at 3:36 am

These look divine and super-inviting!!

5 Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog August 12, 2010 at 10:08 pm

My sweet tooth is extremely welcomed with those bars, they are incredible!!

All the best,

Gera

6 Rashmi September 18, 2010 at 5:55 am

Anardhana seeds- is this the same as the pomegranate seeds you used?

7 Sunita September 19, 2010 at 8:45 am

Yes, rashmi, it is the same .

8 anisa December 20, 2010 at 5:49 pm

hey again sunita!

i tried these bars out today and they turned out lovely! (yayy :) ) Theres something about the flavour of oats and nuts and raisins, and the peanut butter…yum!

One question though, they tasted very nice but for some reason mine are a tad bit crumbly, as in they don’t seem to hold together as beautifully as yours do. I tried putting mine in the fridge too, which helped a little but i’m guessing that isn’t a permanent solution. any idea what may have gone wrong? actually, i would like to make my question how can i avoid the falling apart the next time?

thank you!

9 Sunita December 20, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Press, press and press; if you do not press down the mixture firmly, the mixture won’t hold together well.