Roasted and spiced stone fruits ice cream

by Sunita on August 27, 2010

Yes, much as we would like to hold on to it, summer is truly slipping away from us. The almost continuous rainfall in our neck of the woods have lowered the temperatures considerably. Autumn is truly on it’s way.

On our last few visits to the local market, we’ve managed to come back with loads of summer’s bounty.

The market has been so colourful, it’s been a real pleasure ogling at the wonderful goodies on display, and coming back home with some.

I made this rather luxurious and indulgent ice cream the other day. Peaches, plums, apricots and cherrries, all went into it, lending their gorgeous flavours.

They were roasted first, and oh what heavenly aromas emanated from the oven. Roasting seems to bring out the best in stone fruits. I set some of the ice cream in moulds and and the rest in a container. The ones in the moulds were gone before I could captureĀ  them digitally, so a few scoops were quickly taken out of the container and clicked before it disappeared too.

This was a truly delicious ice cream, heavenly with all those fruits in it. This is a great ice cream to make if you have bits and bobs of different fruits lying around.

7 apricots, 2 peaches, 14-15 cherries, 3 plums- all deseeded and chopped ( I got about 6 cups of chopped fruit altogether)
1 tsp crushed red chillies
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp dark muscovado sugar
1C single cream
1C condensed milk
a few almond flakes for topping

1. Pre heat the oven at 200 deg C.
  2. Place the fruits, chillies, cinnamon, lemon juice and sugar in a baking tray and mix lightly. Spread out into a single layer.
  3. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and roast for about 20 minutes or till the fruits soften and the juices begin to flow. Cool completely.
  4. When cooled, puree the fruit mixture along with the cream and condensed milk.
  5. Transfer to moulds or a freezer safe container and freeze till set.
  6. Take out the ice cream, especially if you are making it in a container at least 10 minutes before serving, to scoop out easily. Top with a few almond flakes for an added bite.

We just couldn’t have enough of this ice cream; it’s so easy to make and tastes absolutely gorgeous.

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 sreelu August 27, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Oh my Sunitha looks mouthwatering, pics are absoutely beautiful.

2 Rosa August 28, 2010 at 12:12 am

OMG, that ice cream looks so refreshing and irresistible!

3 musical August 28, 2010 at 1:07 am

Absolutely yummy, Suni!

4 Tamanna August 28, 2010 at 2:30 am

ohhh dear….Sunita this looks extremely tempting. i loveee the fruit combination you used and the creaminess is clearly visible in the pictures! thank you for the recipe, this will go in my ‘will try’ list for sure ;)

5 Ashwini August 28, 2010 at 3:30 am

Wooow..amazing…love it..gonna try this sometime..

6 Soma August 28, 2010 at 3:45 am

I am loving this! i have never tried spice in an ice cream. will be on my mind when I make ice cream with stone fruits next time.

7 rupa August 28, 2010 at 8:39 am

Hey Sunita !

This looks absolutely delicious .. Now i can’t wait for the summer to arrive in sydney ! The first thing I will make is this !

I like the fact that your ice-cream recipe does not require an ice-cream maker – since I don’t have one

Wonderful.. can’t wait to try this one.

8 meenu August 29, 2010 at 6:38 am

Wait, you made ice cream with red chilli flakes in it? !!!! For real? I have seen you use this in quiet a few desserts before. What is this obsession of mixing hot with sweet? :) Very new to me and I’m sure very interesting taste!

You have a lovely blog. Lovely family and you have a lovely blog personality too.

Keep going, may the forces be with you.
Meenu

9 anisa August 29, 2010 at 10:02 am

Just watched the video with Agastya and Rengoni making the tomato basil cookies :) they are both adorable Sunita!