Apple galette with a yogurt crust

by Sunita on September 11, 2010

Nowadays, everything about the weather shouts autumn- the cooler temperatures with the slight nip in the air, the slowly changing colour of the leaves, the shorter days.

Rengoni and Agastya have also settled into their new classes and letters from school with information about various activities and trips seem to be pouring in already. I better get myself organised very soon.

On the kitchen front, it’s nice to have the oven turned on nowadays as you don’t have to feel like you are in one yourself. And if there are heavenly aromas coming through it, all the more better.

I was sent a huge delivery of Total Greek Yogurt a few days ago. Of course, I did not expect them to send me two bagfuls of them, containing about fourteen pots, the bigger ones are 500gms each and the smaller ones (0% fat) are 170gms each. Our fridge is still full of them. So, if the next few days you see quite a few yogurty recipes popping up, you’ll know the reason.

I am starting off with this warm apple galette with a yogurty crust- a lovely dessert for these slightly cooler days, sweet and flavoured with spices and a hint of heat from crushed red chillies.

Coming to chillies, a reader recently commented on one of my posts about this obsession of mine- adding chillies to sweet desserts. I stood back and realised, that yes, I have added them to all sorts of desserts in the past- macarons, cookies, ice creams , crumbles, fruit and yogurt combinations, tarts and so on. To be honest, in our household, Dinesh is the one who can handle the heat and I am usually a wimp when it comes to too much of it. But, having said that, I do like it when it is added sparingly. And when it comes to desserts, I love the slight kick that it delivers through the sweetness. So, I almost always reach out for the chillies.

Coming back to the recipe for the galette, here goes-

For the crust-
2 C of whole wheat flour (atta)
1 tblsp of sugar ( I used raw cane sugar)
170 gms of fat free Greek yogurt ( I used Total)
6 tblsp of sunflower/vegetable oil
a pinch of bicarbonate of soda

For the filling-
4 apples ( I used Braeburn), cored, peeled and sliced thinly
1/2 C of sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon+1/3 tsp of crushed red chillies
1C bread crumbs (I used golden)

Others-
a little milk to brush the edges of the pastry

1. In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the crust, except the yogurt and oil.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt and oil and tip it into the flour mixture.
  3. gently mix with the fingertips till everything just comes together. Do not over mix or knead. shape into a ball, cover with cling film and chill for at least an hour.
  4. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C.
  5. line a rolling board with parchment paper and place the ball of dough on it. Pat out or roll with a rolling pin to about 11 inches in diameter.
  6. Gently slide the pastry along with the parchment onto a baking tray.
  7. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the rolled out pastry, leaving a little margin all around. This prevents the crust from turning soggy.
  8. Spread the slices of apple over the breadcrumbs in concentric circles, slightly overlapping each other.
  9. Save 2tblsp of the sugar mixture and sprinkle the rest over the apples.
  10. Fold the edges of the pastry over the apples, if they rip, just pinch the together or patch with a little pastry from some other side.
  11. Brush the edges with milk and sprinkle the rest of the sugar mixture over it.
  12. Place the tray  in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 40 minutes or till the crust is coloured. Cover loosely with a piece of foil and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
  13. Remove from the oven and gently slide the galette onto a rack and cool for at least 10 minutes.
  14. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I absolutely loved the galette. It did not go down very well with the kids who would rather have an uncooked apple. So, if you like cooked apple, you will love this. I mean, I could hardly stop from having another slice,and I know my waist must be groaning. Next time, I am going to replace the sugar with a little honey and mix it with the cinnamon and chillies, might make me feel a little less guilty while indulging. Actually, I would have used honey this time too, but had run out of it, and in my mind, I was set on making the galettte, so there!

1 Rosa September 11, 2010 at 11:52 am

A lovely galette! That crust is interesting.

2 Maria September 11, 2010 at 11:53 am

thats interesting…!
Sunita being an Indian can I ask you how does Greek yogurt differ from Indian ones..?
any info would be of help in understanding the differences.

3 Sayantani September 11, 2010 at 2:24 pm

thats a great way of eating fruits. looks very tempting.

4 Asha@FSK September 11, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Beautiful galette Sunita! :) they are so perfect for Autumn.. I made one too :)

Look fwd to your yogurt recipes…

5 Aparna September 11, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I love galettes, but never tried a yogurt cryst. I must as I love yogurt too and ther’s always plenty to spare.
Your galette looks gorgeous.

6 Sarah, Maison Cupcake September 11, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Much as I love yogurt, that does seem a daunting amount! Glad you found a good use for it, the galette looks great.

7 kk September 11, 2010 at 7:35 pm

ooooopppssss suni who sent u whole lot of yoghurt???send over some:)))))

8 sheba September 12, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Love love love the galatte….simply irresistable…wish I could try EVERYTHING from your blog….

9 Sunita September 16, 2010 at 4:11 pm
10 Alka September 13, 2010 at 1:36 pm

greek yogurt is my daily breakfast ;) have eaten shrikhand made with greek yogurt.. thanks for the recipe, with apple picking season right around the corner, i’ll have more apples than i could want for the year!

11 sweetlife September 13, 2010 at 7:34 pm

love your galatte, and what a wonderful suprise to be gifted yogurt…

sweetlife

12 Cherine September 15, 2010 at 7:09 am

A fabulous galette. Loved the crust!!

13 Sanjeeta kk September 15, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Lovely clicks, Sunita! The galatte looks crispy and delicious.

14 Noodlehead September 16, 2010 at 7:18 am

First time here and I’m so glad I found you!!! Was looking for an egg less banana cake recipe and happened to find your checkered cake, which is fantastic, by the way. My 3 year old daughter will absolutely love it! I’m making it over the weekend.

You have lovely recipes on your site. I can make almost all of them, despite living in India where it is sometimes tough to source “phoren” ingredients. Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful recipes! I’ll be stopping by regularly :)

15 Sunita September 16, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Glad you are liking it here. Btw, the chequered cake is one of our favourites too, I’m making it again tomorrow for my kids and their friends :-)

16 kk September 17, 2010 at 4:46 pm

hi sunita was wondering about the chequered banana cake. the recipe u have given for the batter do we make it 2wice or double the recipe for the dark batter as well?? where did u get so much yoghurt from???

17 Sunita September 19, 2010 at 8:46 am

If you through the recipe, you will find that it is he same batter divided into two parts. As for the yogurt, i was sent some by the company to try them out.

18 Sharmilee September 16, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Missed few delicious recipes…this one looks so tasty

19 Patty September 25, 2010 at 12:09 am

Beautiful, healthy, and full of fresh seasonal fruit – yum! Here in Mexico, people enjoy fresh fruit like pineapple or mango sprinkled with chili powder – I’m sure it tasted fantastic on that lovely galette. Thanks for sharing!