Clementine – walnut cake

by Sunita on January 3, 2011

Hello everyone, firstly, let me thank all of you for all your warm wishes; hope you too have had a fantastic start to the new year and are looking forward to the days ahead.

As for ourselves it’s been almost non stop friends and feasting. No wonder I feel heavy all the time nowadays, must have gained a good few pounds ( too scared to check the scales). No new year resolutions for me, just to take each day as it comes.

And baking, I have been doing that alright, a lavish cake every other day has been coming out of my kitchen. I am so enjoying decorating the cakes to my hearts content. To be honest, I have always loved decorating cakes, but refrain from doing it when making one just for ourselves, except for some special occasion, of course. During these holidays, there has been plenty of opportunities to share them with others so that there is not much on our plates.

I made this decadent chocolate cake to be shared with friends yesterday at lunchtime.

The basic cake is from this chocolate, ginger and almond cake that I made three to four months ago.

I omitted the ginger here, made two 8 inch round cakes and sandwiched with dark chocolate ganache, which I also used to cover and decorate the cakes. The rosettes on top of the cake were piped with some leftover icing from this vanilla sponge layered cake that I made for the new year party.

This was a totally decadent and rich cake, a chocolate lovers delight, but a small piece is more than enough. We had a very sweet little guest who refused to let go of her spoon and plate ( which had been scraped clean) and get out of her seat, which was strategically in front of the cake; now that is a compliment, I guess!

The recipe that I am going to share with you today is, however, of this clementine and walnut  cake; a delicately flavoured cake, filled, covered and decorated with clementine flavoured whipped cream and walnuts. This was made a few days ago.

3/4 C of whole wheat flour (atta)
2 tsp clementine zest
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
2/3 C + 2 tblsp caster sugar
1/3 C +2tblsp sunflower/vegetable oil
1/4 C + a little more( for decoration) chopped walnuts

Soaking syrup- A few tblspns of freshly squeezed clementine juice

For the whipped cream- 2C double cream+3 tblsp sugar+2 tblsp of clementine juice

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg c and line an 8 inch pan with foil.
  2. Beat together the eggs and sugar with an electric beater for about 3 minutes. add the oil and beat for another minute.
  3. Mix together the flour,zest, 1/4 C chopped walnuts and baking powder and fold into the egg mixture.
  4. Tip the mixture into the prepared pan. Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 25-27 minutes or till a toothpick inserted through the centre of the cake comes out clean.
  5. Cool the cake in the pan for a minute . Remove the foil and cool completely before decorating.
  6. Beat the double cream and sugar till it forms stiff peaks. Fold in the clementine juice.
  7. Slice the cake horizontally into two halves. Brush a little of the clementine juice ( for the syrup) over the bottom half of the cake. Spread a little whipped cream and place the other half of the cake on top. Brush the top of the cake with a little more clementine juice. Cover the top and sides of the cake with some more of the whipped cream and decorate as you desire. I piped a simple design and added the rest of the chopped walnuts.

***Note- The clementine can easily be substituted with orange.

We loved this cake, it was simple and refreshing with the clemnetine flavours. It is one of those cakes when you can probably make room for another slice. Needless to say it was polished off in one sitting, with friends of course.

1 Renata January 3, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Looks so delicious! Never had anything with the combination walnut-clementines. Sounds interesting! Also, that chocolate cake is so beautifully decorated and looks so heavenly!

2 Rosa January 3, 2011 at 12:48 pm

What gorgeous cakes! So well-decorated.

Clementine and walnut, what a lovely combo!

3 Alka January 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Happy New Year!!!! Looks delicious as usual!! :) I love the taste and texture of walnuts in cakes.. I usually load them up in my carrot cake, and its good for you as well. Wish you and your wonderful family and a happy, healthy and prosperous 2011. Keep em coming! Cheers!

4 Apu January 3, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Great looking cake there!!

5 jaya January 3, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Happy New Year to u and family . What a treat ! lucky are those who got to taste this :)

6 Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal January 3, 2011 at 4:54 pm

how lovely and delicious looking.

7 Ann January 3, 2011 at 8:54 pm

That looks lovely, and refreshing indeed. we always have a dearth of clementines in the house, and I’ve always wondered why I’ve never come up with something cake based that used them.Happy New Year, btw…

8 Sonia@7spice January 4, 2011 at 3:02 am

I’ll try it with handy oranges, lying around in my kitchen now. I always love your simple and light (healthy) baking creations. :) Lovely pics here.

9 notyet100 January 4, 2011 at 3:51 am

cake looks so gorgeous,..

10 Raaga January 4, 2011 at 5:54 am

Happy New Year!

11 vandana rajesh January 4, 2011 at 7:21 am

Fabulous looking cake. Loved both the chocolate and the walnut cake. Superb!!

12 Kulsum at JourneyKitchen January 4, 2011 at 7:50 am

Wow! This looks great. Walnut and any citrus are a great combo.

13 Noodlehead January 4, 2011 at 9:07 am

Happy New Year to you and yours!! Hope you all have a great year ahead :)

I’m not much for decorating cakes, too scared and definitely lacking in creativity. But looking at your cakes really makes me want to start!! Was wondering if you could point me to the basic equipment I should get for decorating (nozzles, piping bags, etc.) Thanks so much!!

P.S. I live in India so I might not get the fancier decorating stuff here :( but I would appreciate some help from you :)

14 Sunita January 4, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I will write to you soon :-)

15 Sanjeeta kk January 4, 2011 at 9:52 am

Wow! what colors and ingredients to go in this lovely cake. Sunita you are a master when it comes to cake deco. Beautiful and awesome clicks!

16 jayasri January 4, 2011 at 10:32 am

Hi sunita, A very happy new year to you, and both the cakes look gorgeous and love walnuts in it, A very healthy option

17 Sarah, Maison Cupcake January 4, 2011 at 10:52 am

All of those cakes look marvellous Sunita although I’m especially impressed with those pretty little purple flowers.

Happy New Year! xx

18 Arthi January 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Hi,

Amazing cake with the combination of walnuts and clementine which we all love in the family. I am gonna surely try this out this weekend. Just wondering whether you have added atta and sunflower oil instead of all purpose flour and butter to make it healthy or its the recipe as such.

Happy New Year :)

19 Ashwini January 4, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Hey,
Lovely deco on chocolate cake:) Clementine and walnuts sure go well together. Gottu try this sometime:)

20 Jeanne @ CookSister! January 5, 2011 at 2:12 pm

oooh – the chocolate cake is fab but it was the clementine and ginger one that really caught my eye! Such awonderful flavours together – inspired! May 2011 bring you much happiness, success and HEALTH! ;)

21 Tanvi@SinfullySpicy January 5, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Happy New Year to you and your family Sunita!I love love the purple roses on your first cake.They look so neat. I think purple is the new white in cake icing :)
And the second cake-it is citrusy so its worth every bit of try!Like the flavors u combined!

22 Gowri January 5, 2011 at 7:59 pm

We tried your clementine walnut cake by substituting clementines with oranges and walnuts with almonds. Tasted very good. It was easy to make too with simple ingredients. Thanks.

23 Susan January 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Hello Sunita! I have just found your blog and really love the look of your soups (24×24) AND this lovely light clementine walnut cake! After all the heavy snacks and party foods that we’ve had here during th holidays, your cake looks like a fluffy light treat. I am bookmarking the recipe and will make it for my husband’s birthday (in two weeks!). Thank you for posting it!

24 Ranjana January 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm

My tryst with baking a cake is mostly limited to pine apple upside down..So you wuld gather .. I am at elementary level.However,I woule like to get some selfhelp tips /do it yourself stuff on cake decorating/icing..I live in Buffalo,NY..Btw,I have tried out many recipes from your site and what I like is the fact that you have defeated the fad that taste and health do not go hand in hand…Love to see many more from your site..WISH YOU A HAPPY,HEALTHY and PEACEFUL 2011.

Ranjana

25 Divya January 7, 2011 at 1:58 am

I tried your cake for the first time and I have to say thanks you so much. The whole family loved it. I have been looking for a recipe for cake that is light and airy. Even as I was mixing the ingredients I could tell this is going to be it! it was fabulous with the whipped cream frosting. The only thing I would say was maybe a little less sugar.
Again thank you so much and we enjoyed the kids’ video on the cookies.

happy new year and lots of best wishes to all!

26 Anu January 8, 2011 at 10:14 am

Hi Sunita!I’m an avid reader of your blog and so i know your love for baking:) I wanted to bake a cake for my daughter’s 2nd birthday.Could you give me tips as to what kind of oven should i buy(would prefer to bake n grill fish/meat etc.. also).I live in the Middle East.There are all types of brands(samsung,panasonic,daewoo,kenwood etc )..some r touch screen and some are detailed menu…im bit confused on what to choose..

27 Jamie January 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Sunita, your cakes are gorgeous! Wow! I want decorating lessons from you! Simply gorgeous! And both cakes sound so delicious. What lucky guests (I’d find a seat right in front of the cake too!).

Sunita, I wish you and your family all the best for 2011, good health, happiness and prosperity! xoxo

28 Nic January 10, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Lovely looking cakes Sunita!
Happy New Year and all the best for 2011. Hope you have a better year healthwise. xx

29 Helene January 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm

What a beautiful cake. That looks so good.

30 roshan January 12, 2011 at 8:07 am

the cakes and cake decorations are classic…….

31 Anu January 12, 2011 at 8:31 am

Wish you all a very Happy new year. The cakes look delicious. They are too perfect:).
can you please put up a video on basic cake decorating and specially the roses it will be of great help for beginners like me :)

thanks
anu s

32 Miri January 12, 2011 at 3:11 pm

This looks like a lovely airy cake with subtle flavours…..

33 Sangeetha Nambi January 20, 2011 at 4:59 am

Hey Ms. Queens of Bakes :) Nice and Yummy Post !!! Keep Posting

Cheers

34 Rashida January 20, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Just dropping a line that you are being missed. Hope all is good at your end and get to hear from you soon.

35 Maninas January 31, 2011 at 4:38 pm

It looks incredible! Love citrus cakes, so I’m sure I’d adore this.

36 Suparna Shaligram February 6, 2011 at 5:32 am

Hey Sunita,
Haven’t heard from the blog since a long time. Hope all is well at your end.

Take care
Suparna

37 Ashwini February 18, 2011 at 3:09 am

Hey,
I made this cake for Valentines day. It came out well.
Thanks.

38 Ashwini February 18, 2011 at 3:10 am

Hey,
Another request. It would be nice if you could put up the amount / No. of servings for the amount of ingredients mentioned.

39 Raji March 12, 2012 at 5:03 am

The Cake looks gorgeous. I would like to try this cake. I have a question. If I have to double the cake size, can I just double the ingredients? Thanks in advance.

40 Raji March 26, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Hi Sunita, I tried out this cake and it came out good. It tasted okay on the first day (I felt too eggy) and I wasn’t satisfied. But it was really awesome after a day. Orange juice infused the cake and it was so aromatic. My Husband said it tastes like premier cakes. Kudos to you for this recipe!!!Thanks.