News and some cinnamon, apple and raisin cupcakes

by Sunita on February 8, 2011

I know, I know, it’s been more than a month since I last updated this wee blog of mine. Sorry, if you’ve been dropping by and seeing the same cakes hanging in there. Time is running by swiftly, and I am having a hard time clutching on to it. Hope all of you have been doing good and that the new year is treating you well.

During the space of a month, we have gone from bone chilling cold to milder weather and today it almost felt like spring. The sun is shining brightly and the days are getting longer. Snow seems to be a distant memory. Rengoni and Agastya’s classes are going on in full swing.  I have been busy baking and cooking, just haven’t had the time to post it. And most of the ‘different’ meal ideas have been cooked in the evening, leaving me with very little time (and light) to take decent pictures. Yes, there have been many a time when we have sat down at the dinner table and thought what a lovely post a particular recipe could have been. But alas! It was not meant to be. I hope to rectify that soon.

Yes, the past month has been busy, very busy for me. On the one hand, I have started teaching cookery in a local college ( Indian) and , do I hear the drum roll?   I now am the proud owner of a baking business too. Yes, you heard me right; while on the one hand I am sharing spicy secrets with groups of eager learners, on the other hand, I will be, well, I already have been baking to grace my client’s special occasions. It took me a long time to come to terms with the business. I have always wanted to do something like this and friends and family have been suggesting it for a long time. It’s a different thing to bake a cake and give it away as a gift, and completely another thing to start a business. The first doubt was whether anyone would really want my products. But, it seems that they do, and I am happy to say that the orders are gradually coming in. My kitchen has passed all the necessary tests, and I am a fully registered bakerina now.

So, now you know the reason for my long absence from this space. Along with the two jobs, also comes heaps of paperwork, and I am finally beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Phew! I love blogging; writing and photographing has become a part of my life, but cooking and baking is my first love, and I feel lucky to be able to do things that involve both. The learners from my cookery class as well my clients from my business have given very positive feedback, which has further boosted my confidence.

Thank you all for dropping by and leaving your valuable comments over the past month. I haven’t had the chance to reply to all of them yet, but do know that I do appreciate it. This also reminds me of a ‘not so nice’ experience with a particular reader of this blog. This person had been harassing me for quite a while. In the beginning, I did not give it much thought, but gradually, it got worse. Some of her comments are too rude to be shared here ( after all, my children read my blog too). I found it quite disturbing. All my fellow bloggers out there will surely appreciate all the effort that goes into creating a blog post. One of the best things about blogging, for me, has been the camaraderie with my readers, some fellow bloggers, some not. You have shared my laughs and my tears, so what , if just virtually. I have tried my best to share whatever little skill I have and have also learnt in tons from others. But, I think it is nice to remember that a blog is a very personal space for a blogger. While we appreciate suggestions, I am  not sure we accept orders and lashings from others. If someone is absent from blogging, we usually enquire if everything is okay with that person, which so many of you did.When I refused to approve this particular reader’s comments, she was rude and abusive, at which I was really taken aback. I have, of course, since then barred her, but really, such incidents do cast a bit of gloom over what has been a rather pleasant blogging experience so far. I, and I’m sure everyone else has far better things to do than engage in such petty squabbles. So let’s put that aside and move on.

And since you’ve been patient enough to go through all that rambling ( don’t worry if you have skipped the above) let me share some of these spiced apple muffins with you. They are easy to make, are lightly spiced, perfect for a small in – between snack. They are not huge and are bun /fairy cake sizes, so they won’t fill you up. A little sprinkling of demerara sugar adds a slight crunch and the apple does not go mushy, but retains a bite..

1/4 C dark muscovado sugar or other dark brown sugar
1/4 C sunflower/vegetable oil
2 tblsp milk
1 egg
1/3 C + 2 tblsp whole wheat flour (atta)
1/2 tsp baking powder
a tiny pinch of bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tblsp raisins
1/2 C of small apple pieces, which have been peeled and cored
***a little demerara sugar for sprinkling on top ( optional)

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line a cupcake tray ( not the deep muffin trays).
  2. In a bowl, beat together the egg, oil, milk and sugar.
  3. In another bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, soda, apple and raisins.
  4. Tip the flour mixture into the egg mixture and fold in till everything is just moistened. The batter will be quite thick.
  5. Divide the mixture equally among the cupcake cases lining the tray ( makes about 6-7) and sprinkle a little demerara sugar on top of each ( if using any)
  6. Lower the heat of the oven to 170 deg C .
  7. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 18 minutes or till a toothpick inserted through the centre of the cupcakes comes  out clean.
  8. Cool the cupcakes in the tray for a minute and transfer to a rack to cool completely before storing in an air tight container.

***You can substitute the demerara sugar with nuts/seeds, or leave it as it is.

Did we like it? Well, the eight and a half hear old lad in our house; you know, the one who doesn’t like fruits in cakes and ‘hates’ raisins, gobbled three of them after school in record time. The fact that the poor guy didn’t realise the ingredients is another matter altogether. As long as someone likes something, it does not matter, does it? So, you see, I had made just seven of them and six flew off the rack in record time between the lad and his older sister; they made for a nice after school snack.

1 Rosa February 8, 2011 at 10:55 am

Wow, congrats! That is so awesome. I am happy for you.

Lovely cupcakes.

2 Sra February 8, 2011 at 11:03 am

Congrats, Sunita!

3 Madhavi February 8, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Wow! that’s great news and am happy for you.

I have been dropping by every now and then. Wishing you the best.

4 BongMom February 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Congrats Sunita, wish I lived near enough to be a devoted client :)

5 Aparna February 8, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Congratulations, Sunita. I’m really very happy for you. :) As for the painful commenter, she’s not worth too much thought, like a pesky fly on the wall!

6 Michelle @ Greedy Gourmet February 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Congratulations – I wish you all the best!

7 Usha February 8, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Congrats Sunita! Wish you all the best in your new business and with your cookery classes. As always, your cup cakes look delicious!

8 harini-jaya February 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Hey Congrats and Good Luck!
The cup cakes are lovely!

9 Sanjeeta kk February 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm

That is a load of work, Sunitha! And congrats to the lovely Bakerina :) Wish I could place orders for all your products form here.

10 Cherine February 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Glad to have you back!
Great news!! & all the luck!!
Those cupcakes are wonderful!

11 Dk February 8, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Just few min back I was thinking of sending a fb message asking wat happened to our visual treats when I saw this post…..CONGRATS….how are u managing all of it??? I m including your web designing in this too….im sure you give your 100% to all of them which makes me wonder where you find time to fit in all…..but well since you love what you do I am sure you are having loads of fun…hugs to you sweetie and wishing you lots of success…

12 Lakshmi February 8, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Congrats Sunita! On the Bakerina, cooking teacher, web designing business,this blog etc. You have it in you. All the best!

13 Suparna February 8, 2011 at 6:31 pm

welcome back sunita !! we missed you ! lovely cupcakes..
congrats on your new venture !

14 Priya February 8, 2011 at 6:33 pm

This is really fabulous news Sunitha! I wish you the best and am sure you will see success in both your endeavors. Don’t let anything dampen your spirit :) Hugs!

15 Poornima February 8, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Lovely cupcakes and amazing news too. Congratulations to u!!

16 Coleen February 8, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I, too, am excited to see you back! Oh, I wish I could be in your class….you are extremely talented.

17 Rupa February 8, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Hey ! Congratulations !!

I have been a long time follower of your blog .. and it is such a happy news !!

Rupa

18 kalva February 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm

wow.. congratulations!!! wish your bakery is in my town!!!

19 poornima February 8, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Sunita glad to see you are back. First congrats on the new business. Wish you all the very best. There is no doubt you will do great , we have seen how well you bake! Second about the odd rude comments hope you dont stop blogging on account of them. We love your recipes and look forward to many more. And thanks again for the great recipes and pics!!

20 Asha@FSK February 9, 2011 at 12:47 am

Sunita! this is brilliant!!! I am sooo happy for you! :) )) CONGRATS and here is wishing you raging success :) ))))

21 nags February 9, 2011 at 1:34 am

wonderful to mix passion and work, congrats on both counts!

22 hudsondebb February 9, 2011 at 1:59 am

Oh, congratulations!!!!! How exciting!
I wish I lived in your town!
Best of luck to you!

23 Yoges February 9, 2011 at 3:28 am

Welcome back! Have been checking your blog for updates ;)
Congrats on your new ventures! No doubt you’ll be awesome and wish I attend your classes.
All the best!
I have been inspired by your baking with atta flour and now I include atta in my
cakes/muffins as much as I can. Thanks to you for that!

24 Sarah February 9, 2011 at 5:02 am

Congratulations Sunita! I’m sure your business will take off with flying colours esp considering the popularity of your blog.

25 Rashida February 9, 2011 at 11:30 am

Congratulations – Would you delivering overseas ?
Wish I lived closer to you.
Now with your hands full – one request dont stop blogging.
This past one month was tooo looong.

26 Happy Cook February 9, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Wowo congragultaiongs indeed lot of things are happening on your side, I am so happy for you teaching job and duble happy for your cake catering buisness

27 Sudakshina February 9, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Congratulations!!! wish you all the best.

28 mallugirl February 9, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Sunita that is really awesome news! whenever i saw a baker put up business, i was wondering why any of our wonderful bloggers don’t do that and now u have… that is simply marvellous and i wish u the best sincerely.. hope ur business takes off like a rocket.:)

29 Nachiketa February 10, 2011 at 4:19 am
30 arundati February 10, 2011 at 7:58 am

congratulations sunita and good luck with your endeavors! all those lucky recipients of your talent….i wish i could swap places with them!

31 jaya February 10, 2011 at 9:28 am

Hello Sunita , a big congratulations to u :)

32 Noodlehead February 10, 2011 at 11:39 am

So wonderful to see you back here Sunita!! I was starting to wonder if all was well. So happy that you were missing because of something good and not bad :) Congratulations on the new business and the teaching job….I wish you all the success in both.

As for the trolls, ignore them. A lot of people take advantage of the inconspicuousness offered by the internet and indulge in nastiness. Hugs!

Don’t mean to be pushy but can you send me some links or any advice on the icing thing. Thanks so much :)

33 sarah, simply cooked February 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Hello, it’s great to have you back! Wow, you are fantastically busy with wonderful projects. I hope you continue to enjoy baking and it doesn’t become tiresome as a business. I’m sure your clients will be tickled by your offerings. :)

34 priya February 10, 2011 at 3:57 pm

wow…yummmm!!!

35 Kay February 11, 2011 at 1:13 am

:D Yayyyyy! So happy for you, sunita!!!! I hope you write a cookbook someday (I’d buy a copy (and more for gifts) in a second!). Your blog taught me to taught me to bake and not be afraid of baking. And I’m forever indebted to you and your blog for that.

Good luck with all you new ventures!! Much love and luck and laughter to you!!!

36 Shoba Shrinivasan February 14, 2011 at 6:02 am

Have been a long and silent reader of your blog and love the blog, the clicks, the props and of course the great food! Congrats on the new venture and I hope this year and all of the following ones, bring you happiness in doing what you love – Baking!!!!
DO you happen to have authentic recipe for MOMOS???

Shobha

37 Nic February 14, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Good luck with your new venture Sunita, I’m sure it will be a great success!

38 Jayasri February 15, 2011 at 9:27 am

Hi sunita,
Wow, congrats, what a wonderful thing to do what you love to do ?, I wish you all the great success in all your new ventures, do not forget your blog!, we love to see those visual treats and enjoy baking them too…, wishing you all the happiness through the coming years…

39 Kavs February 15, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Hi – congratulations and good luck with your ventures!
Just a request – do you have any egg-less cakes/ cupcakes recipes that tast as yummy?

40 Sunita March 3, 2011 at 11:15 am

Kavs, check out the various links here-

They are all from my blog, hope you find something that suits you :-)

41 Samarpita February 16, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Congratulations! Not one but 2 ventures at the same time. I quite envy you, since you are one of the very few people I know are doing the work they are passionate about and most probably it does not even seem like work for you.
I was kind of getting worried at your prolonged absence, but so nice to know that you kept away due to such fantastic reasons.
Don’t know if i have told you enough, but I love your photos and the recipes I have tried always turn out to be fantastic.

42 Kiran February 18, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Wow !!! such great news was wondering why I was not seeing some of your wonderful creations. I am sooooooooooooo proud of you and all that you have achieved, every since I started my blog I have aspired to make it work like you have. I am so pleased that you are doing all the things that you enjoy as a job and wish you every success in that. Lots of love and good wishes – it is good to share your talents :)

43 Priya March 3, 2011 at 10:52 am

Just saw this recipe today and tried it out and glad to say that they came out so yuuuum that it was polished off in a few minutes… Thank you so much for all the inspiring work!

44 Sunita March 3, 2011 at 11:17 am

Thanks everyone for all your encouraging comments :-)

45 under_the neonsun February 15, 2012 at 8:49 am

Love that you use atta for your baking. These muffins and the chocolate cupcakes also came out really well. Tx for the recipes