All in one triple chocolate cupcakes!

by Sunita on February 14, 2011

I know, there is too much chocolate around today, but a few more won’t hurt , I guess. I haven’t been able to get into one shop or on any site on the net, or the radio or the television, without being reminded that it’s Valentines day today. Even the daughter asked me yesterday if ”you and daddy are going to do the Valentine thing, exchange presents etc”. Dinesh overheard and we both couldn’t stop smiling and almost said in unison, ”every day is a Valentine’s day for us”, we don’t need a rose or chocolate to prove it. Please do not get me wrong, I have nothing against the day as such, but I do not like the idea of someone else dictating the norm for showing my love for the dear person in my life.

I don’t need to be wooed with jewellery or chocolates or roses; especially on a day when one is expected to. After all, where is the surprise in that? And why the pressure? Every time,Dinesh brings something with love, and yes, that does, at times include chocolate and roses, but, that may be on a day when I least expect it, making it even more special. When I make a special meal which he is really fond of, the way his eyes light up, and the way he smiles at me, well, isn’t that love? When he says he’s busy to pick me up from somewhere , but there he is, waiting right there, at the right time, with a cheeky grin…I’m sure you get the drift! Yes we celebrate love too, but in our own special way

So, why am I making these oh so decadent chocolate cupcakes? Well, because I wanted to. The fact that it happened to be on Valentines day is just a co incidence; and no, the chocolates on top were not given to each other, but by a friend who had come to visit us yesterday. I also had some buttercream which was left over from an order, which I wanted to use up. And the kids have been asking for some chocolate cupcakes for a long time as well. And after all it’s chocolate, and I can never say ‘no’ to chocolate, and a chance to bake, so there you go. Valentines day or not, if you love chocolate , you will love these cupcakes too. And they are so easy to make, which is an added bonus. Even if you have never baked before, you can never really go wrong with these cupcakes, unless, of course you’ve forgotten to add the baking powder or the oil or the sugar or…

1 egg
3 tblsp of milk
4 tblsp of dark muscovado sugar
1/4 c + 1 tblsp whole wheat flour (atta)
5 tblsp sunflower/vegetable oil
3 tsp cocoa powderm
1/2 tsp baking powder

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg c and line a muffin tray ( makes 4 large muffin sized cupcakes)
  2. Add all the ingredients into a bowl.
  3. With an electric beater, beat the ingredients, till everything is mixed well (about 20-30 seconds on medium speed).
  4. Divide the batter ( it will be quite thin, but not to worry) among the 4 cases.
  5. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted through the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean.
  6. Cool the cupcakes on in the tray for a minute and then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Store in air tight containers, if using later.
  7. Decorate the top as desired (buttercream, whipped cream, ganache…), or just leave it plain.

now, go on and scoff yourself with one!

1 Rosa February 14, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Splendid cupcakes! So pretty and classy. One cannot have enough of chocolate.

2 Irina @ Sunshine's kitchen February 14, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Absolutely gorgeous!
These cupcakes look so delicious, I can almost taste the chocolaty flavours :)

Best wishes,
Irina

3 Cherine February 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Those cupcakes are to die for!!! So irresistible!

4 Alka February 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Beautiful cupcakes!! Too pretty to eat :) And btw, what you wrote about celebrating love everyday is so, so sweet! Its the little things like you pointed out that matter in life.. but still keeping up with the sentiments of the day, Happy Valentine’s day!! :)

5 Ivy February 14, 2011 at 8:33 pm

We don’t celebrate Valentine’s either and I agree with you that if your alter ego loves you, he will not have to wait for this day to show it, right? Your cup cakes are beautiful and congratulations and good luck on your new job.

6 Divya February 15, 2011 at 4:56 am

I love your recipes,simple and easy to make.I am trying this out definitely!!

7 Prabs February 15, 2011 at 7:17 am

Lovely cupcakes Sunita!
By whole wheat flour (atta) , are you referring to the same brown atta that is available in India? The one that is used to make rotis.

8 Sharmilee February 15, 2011 at 8:26 am

Looks sinfully delicious

9 Jayasri February 15, 2011 at 9:19 am

Hi sunita, They are so beautiful, When I saw chocolate I just had to check it out!, my daughter goes all smiles, I think I will bake this today! Lovely clicks dear

10 Preeti February 15, 2011 at 10:45 am

I’m so with you on the V-day thing.. For us, each day is special in its own way :)

The cupcakes look absolutely perfect. I want to grab one right away!!! What could I use if I don’t find dark muscovado sugar? Also, how could I make it eggless? Would appreciate any suggestions on the same.

Thanks,
Preeti

11 Sarah February 15, 2011 at 11:17 am

Gorgeous cakes! Cant wait to try them out.

12 Emma Batchelor February 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm

They look delicious! Any tips on how to adjust to be egg free?

13 Swapna February 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm

The cupcakes looks delicious and am sure they were…but can you tell me why you use atta instead of plain flour(maida)

14 Soma February 16, 2011 at 3:12 am

Exactly what I wrote in my post :-) Just one day to celebrate when we have 365 days a year? But I will take a chocolate cupcake any day.

15 Anne February 16, 2011 at 2:56 pm

The cupcakes look so chocolatey and delicious, I really love the idea of putting the choccies on top too!

16 poornima February 16, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Sunita love the fact the recipe was for just 5 cupcakes. This is what I want ,recipes for smaller quantities.At my place I always end up wasting cakes because the last bits are not used up due to lack of poeple. Your cupcakes I made and ate, were delicious and no wastage too.Thanks heaps.

17 Radhika February 18, 2011 at 6:20 am

First time to your world. Found it very sweet and lovely. Thank you for sharing those lovely cup cakes. Glad to follow you and wait for future surprises.

18 Miri February 21, 2011 at 5:20 am

I agree – doing the done thing is so boring. I just tend to go with what we are feeling each year – if it’s been particularly hectic then we try to do something for the two of us – and not necessarily in terms of chocolate and roses. Like this year, we hadn’t gone out just the two of us for a meal, for quite some time and there was some success at work to celebrate – so 2 days before Valentines, on Friday night, we went out for a lovely Chinese meal to a new restaurant which has opened – we both love good Chinese food and this was our way of celebrating our relationship.

The cupcakes look very moist and fluffy! and decadent with the cream and the chocolates on top – yumm!

19 carine March 4, 2011 at 5:16 am

First visit to your world! You already made me crazy about chocolate!

20 sweet road March 6, 2011 at 11:52 pm

These look so beautifully decadent and rich like that perfectly satisfying dessert to top everything off!

21 Bourbonnatrix March 7, 2011 at 3:02 am

Hi! We’re neighbors on TasteSpotting, so I thought I’d check out your blog! Your cupcakes look delicious! And your photos are amazing! Beautiful!