Figgy cakelets

by Sunita on August 17, 2011

Nearly a month of summer holidays are over. As the days are passing by, it is beginning to feel less of a summer and more of an autumn. A few trees nearby have already started sheding their leaves and there is that unmistakable chill in the air. Just a couple of weeks more and Rengoni and Agastya will be back to school to start another new year. The young lady is quite excited as she is going to be in the highest class in her school this year. Amazing, how the days, months and years are just whizzing by. Before I know it, both of them will be in high school and god knows where in the world they will turn up settling. The noise ( which drives me crazy sometimes) and the high pitched singing and the laughs and the squabbles and the hugs will all be sorely missed.

I haven’t been able to find much time to update the blog with the kids around, but these cakelets are so easy and good to eat, that I couldn’t resist sharing the recipe before I forget it. I actually got these figs fresh off the free from one of our many local farmers and was wondering what to do with them. A few of the figs went into these cakelets. The figs were roasted first; roasting, I believe, brings out so much more from a fruit.

3 ripe figs, halved lengthwise
2+3 tblsp of dark muscovado sugar
1 egg
3 tblsp of whole wheat flour (atta)
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tblsp of sunflower/vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract.

1. Pre heat the oven at 200 deg C.
  2. Arrange the fig halves, cut side u,p on a baking tray, and sprinkle the 2 tblsp of dark muscovado sugar and the vanilla extract.
  3. Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 10 – 15 minutes.
  4. Remove from the oven and cool.
  5. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C.
  6. Beat together the egg and 3 tblsp of dark muscovado sugar and beat in the oil.
  7. Mix together the flour and baking powder and fold into the egg mixture.
  8. Divide the mixture between two 5 inch baking pans and arrange the roasted fig halves on top.
  9. Place the pans in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted through the centre comes out clean.
  10. Cool in the pans and serve warm or cold.
  11. To serve, dust the tops with icing sugar or drizzle some cream on top.

A very simple , yet pretty dessert; if you do not have access to figs, plums, peaches or other fruits would work quite well in this recipe too.

1 Soma August 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm

How are you Sunita? Haven’t been able to catch up since we got back!

Cute cakes and with figs? any time! barely find the fresh figs here..:(

2 Sunita August 17, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I’m good Soma, the kids summer holidays are on, so am rarely finding time these days. Hope you had a lovely vacation.

As for the figs,these are as fresh as fresh can get, the farmer literally plucked it off his tree and placed it for sale in front of his house, which is just a little over a mile from ours.

3 Rosa August 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Mmmhh, fabulous! I never used to like figd in the past, but now I quite enjoy the fresh version.

4 Vimitha August 17, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Looks so tempting and am literally drooling over ur pics. Will try it out soon.

5 Spandana August 17, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Lovely pics Sunita…. and nice recipe tooo…

6 Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal August 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm

wow, love those cakelets and cakelet pans :)

7 Tadka Pasta August 18, 2011 at 2:13 am

How great to get such fresh produce, almost in your backyard. They look dainty and delicious. Anything called ‘cakelets’ gets our vote :)

8 Apu August 18, 2011 at 2:33 am

Yummm!! They look beautiful!!

9 Madhuli August 18, 2011 at 3:32 am

Fabulously simple recipe and love figs, so recipe bookmarked for the next fig season here. Glad to see your post. :)

10 anisa August 18, 2011 at 5:47 am

you are back! yayy! :D

Good to have you back!

11 Viswa August 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

They look unbelievable delicious..

12 BongMom August 19, 2011 at 2:34 am

Cakelets sound super cute :) yes, vacations are on here too, one more week to go and I am already feeling sad :(

13 Mona August 26, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Sunita, you always tempt us all with your irresistible desserts. Looks fabulous.

14 Jayasri August 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Hi sunita, what a beautiful Idea, I love figs and I want my kids to eat them too.., this is such a guilt free and delicious idea of giving figs, thanks for sharing, book marked