A weekend indulgence

by Sunita on March 22, 2013

Tiny leaves sprouting from the branches should signify the arrival of spring. But stepping out of the house, as one braces oneself for the onslaught of the cold temperatures (more snow predicted for tomorrow), one wonders as to whether it is really spring or an extension of winter. Mother nature is surely confused, and so are we.

But one thing that we wholeheartedly agreed upon was the taste of this utterly moist chocolate buttermilk cake that we just had as an after dinner dessert.

To be honest, it is a very simple cake, and can be whipped up with the minimum of fuss. The cake is light and moist and slathering the top with some whipped cream and sprinkling a little chocolate flakes made it all the more decadent.

I made a very small 6 inch cake, and it is not very tall either. But the quantity can easily be doubled and baked as two cakes which can be sandwiched together with some more whipped cream to make a double layered cake.

Here’s how I made it-

1 egg

1/3 C buttermilk (mix 1/3 milk with 1tsp of white vinegar and keep it aside for a couple of minutes till curdled)

1/4 C sunflower/vegetable oil

5 tblsp of dark brown sugar

1/4 C whole wheat flour (atta)

3 and a 1/2 T cocoa powder

1 tsp baking powder

Topping-

1C double cream + 3 tsp dark brown sugar whipped together till thick

a little dark chocolate shavings to sprinkle on top

• Pre heat the oven t 180 deg C and line a 6inch baking pan with foil.
  • In a bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, sugar and buttermilk until there are no lumps. Do not over beat.
  • In another bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder and baing powder.
  • Fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture in three helpings until everything is mixed well.
  • Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake in the centre of the pre heated oven for about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 170 deg c and bake for another 15-20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted through the centre of the cake comes out clean.
  • Cool the cake in the pan over a rack. Lift the cake out of the pan and remove the foil.
  • Place the completely cooled cake on a serving platter and spread the whipped cream roughly over the top. Sprinkle the chocolate shavings over the cream, cut into wedges and serve.

Enjoy!

HaveĀ  a sweet weekend!

1 Rosa March 22, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Luscious! That cake looks irresistibly moist.

2 dishesfrommykitchen March 23, 2013 at 1:36 am

Sunitha… Brown sugar + whipped cream is my fav frosting and This looks absolutely delish… I badly want a slice of that cake now. Seriously I am droooooooooling.

3 kadhyaa March 23, 2013 at 3:06 am

Sunita Drooling over lovely clicks :-)

4 nayana March 23, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Hi Sunita , I have been following you since many months and am a great fan of your baking recipes, I like the way you make these sinful varieties healthy and guiltfree . This buttermilk cake is also too good and would like to make it soon.

Its good to see to your regular posts again.

5 Helene March 24, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Your cake looks insane, yum!

6 Dhara March 24, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Can I substitute chocolate chips for cocoa powder? I ran out of cocoa powder!!! :(

7 Sunita March 25, 2013 at 10:08 am

Sorry about that, but I don’t think cocoa powder and chocolate chips are interchangeable in this recipe :-(

8 Preeti March 29, 2013 at 2:21 pm

The cake looks so moist Sunita! Love the pics. I have a general question – is buttermilk in the US/UK any different from the buttermilk in India? I remember my mom whisking some yogurt and water to make buttermilk. So does that work for this cake?