A piece of cake…

by Sunita on March 2, 2007

I grew up with ma’s home made cakes. Whenever it was any of our birthdays or any other special occasion, the wonderful aromas from the oven would drift through our house. Her lovingly baked cakes were always a great hit and were the centre pieces of the day.

I guess this must have grown on me. I love baking, especially when its anyone’s birthday in our family. In fact my kids have now started to demand the kind of cakes they want for their birthday.

I ‘m basically that kind of cook who prepares food without any strict measurements. I tend to add ingredients as I go along and according to the availability of any in my pantry. Hence, the same dish may differ on various occasions. The same goes for my bakes a well. While jotting down the recipes for my blog, I often have to wonder as to how much of an ingredient went in to make the dish.

Anyway, coming back to the matter of cakes, I baked this great nutty chocolate cake for hubby dear’s birthday yesterday.

Whats needed-

4 medium sized eggs
1 and 1/2 C flour
1tsp baking powder
3/4 C castor sugar
1 C butter
2tblsp cocoa powder
1/2 C cashew nuts, roughly grinded

Cream the butter and sugar.

Add the eggs. Sieve the flour,baking and cocoa powders and add to the mixture. Blend well.

Add the ground cashews and mix till everything is well combined.

Pour the mixture into a well greased baking pan and bake in a preheated oven on medium heat till a toothpick inserted into it comes out clean.

The cake can be covered with toppings of choice or had on its own. Being a birthday cake, I topped it off with some melted chocolate. It came out really scrummy, and being the chocoholic that I was, there was no doubt that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The kids, in fact, vied with one another for the larger piece. They have already booked the leftovers to enjoy after school!!!

1 Sig March 2, 2007 at 3:56 pm

Sunita, Love that cake! First time here, I love your writing and the pictures. Belated birthday wishes to hubby. :-)

2 Trupti March 2, 2007 at 4:07 pm

Lovely Cake Sunita, I love to bake once in a while..I’m not that good at it…Cakes are something I try only I am brave!

btw, Little Chefs roundup has been posted!

trupti

3 sunita's world March 2, 2007 at 4:56 pm

Sig,

Welcome and thanks on hubby’s behalf.
Hope to see you around.

Trupti,

Thanks as well…I think we all have our comfort zones…I find baking very soothing.

Can’t wait to have a look at the round up…

4 Paddukoti March 2, 2007 at 6:19 pm

hey sunita!!!
lucky me!!!!
i tasted u’r wonderful cake and its taste and aroma is still lingering around!!!thank u so much

5 Vini K March 2, 2007 at 6:42 pm

Hi Sunita,thanks for visiting my blog!You have a great blog too.your cake looks soo good.

incidentally,we both have a few things in common:First,one of my college friends’ name was also sunita bhuyan and for a moment I was thinking you might be her(Haven;t been in contact with her after my intermediate) second-I have a masters in english literature too, and third,I too worked as a lecturer for some time!

hmm looks like we should get in touch more often seeing as you are in UK as well!:D

6 sunita's world March 2, 2007 at 8:26 pm

Padmaja,

Glad you enjoyed it!Though could not give you much…what with the kids all over it…

Hi Vini,

Welcome, and wow!!! those are a great many similarities…and you are right -we should get in touch…would absolutely love it!!

7 Asha March 3, 2007 at 1:34 pm

Beutiful,if mom’s recipe I bet it tastes great too.Cashews are really unique and very Indian addition.Great idea.We used to walnuts etc usually.
Thanks for this Sunita.

8 sunita's world March 3, 2007 at 5:29 pm

Hi Asha,

It’s nice to have you over…

Well the exact recipe is not my mum’s…but you see I’ve learnt the basics from her, which I think is the most important thing…once the foundations are strong, anything can be built upon it!!

9 Biswajit March 4, 2007 at 7:26 pm

Pinu ba.
Real nice cake formula.

This time I baked one for mamon and her friends, when she left for her hostel. Didn’t get the feedback yet how was it.

Formula was almost same, with me adding to additional things(Purabee cream and vanilla).I love the choco-vanilla flavour together.

My fav formula.

cup and half plain all purpose flour
cup of sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon of vanilla
2/3 cup of cream (i prefer little sour)
butter about 150 gms.
2/3 or full cup of coacoa
2 eggs
cashew

for icing:

melt butter and dark chocolate strips in a bowl over a low steaming keteli. Add corn syrup, 1 spoon vanilla, 1/2 cup cream , finely crushed(icing) sugar.

10 sunita's world March 4, 2007 at 9:04 pm

Thanks Riku

Will try your version someday…

11 anisa February 25, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Hi Sunita!

I absolutely love baking as well and it was lovely stumbling upon your blog. Your chocolate cake looks absolutely delicious and I would love to try your recipe.

I wanted to clarify though, if I could use whole wheat flour (atta) instead of refined flour (maida)? My family is very health conscious. Looking forward to your reply, can’t wait to try out the recipe!

And great job on the blog!

12 Sunita February 25, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Anisa, if you use, atta, add a little less than the amountb mentioned in the recipe, should be fine. This is one of my earlier cakes, most of the cakes I have been making for a while are all made with atta. You can find more recipes here- http://sunitabhuyan.com/?page_id=605

13 anisa February 26, 2010 at 7:11 pm

right, thanks sunita! bookmarked this as well as the page with all the chocolatey recipes :)

14 Sunita February 26, 2010 at 7:44 pm

You’re most welcome Anisa :-)