Sandah guri (Assamese rice porridge)…

by Sunita on March 3, 2007

This was our breakfast today. It is a typically Assamese dish. It does require a certain amount of effort, but the best part is that once prepared, it can be stored upto a month, and can be used as an instant porridge. All one needs to do is add hot milk along with any fresh or dry fruits. In fact it can be had just like any other cereal. Traditionally, it is had with hot milk and melted jaggery(gur) and bananas. It is very filling and forms a good start to the day.

Wash and soak a certain amount of rice( of preference) in water for an hour.

Drain the water completely and spread over clean newspapers so as to make the rice more dry. The paper will absorb most of the moisture. Do this for a couple of hours, turning the rice every now and then.

Heat a wok (or pan). Add the rice and fry over medium heat until the rice becomes crisp and dry. It may brown a little, but take care not to burn. It has to be stirred frequently.

Add the fried rice to a blender while still hot and grind almost to a powder (a little bit may be grainy).

Let the ricemeal cool down completely over sheets of newspaper. This is very important or else it will spoil quickly.

When it has cooled it can be stored in airtight containers for a minimum of one month.

Once the ricemeal has been prepared, it can be used with hot milk, yoghurt fresh/dry fruits…you name it.

We had our bowls of rice porridge with hot milk, raisins and drizzled with spoonfuls of melted jaggery(gur). Yummmm!!!

1 Biswajit March 4, 2007 at 7:10 pm

It might sound little weired, but I love my handoh guri mixed in strong hot tea. :)

give it a try , u might like it.

2 sunita's world March 4, 2007 at 8:47 pm

Riku,

I don’t have tea at all- so for me , this combination is a definite no-no!!

But I do remember ma sometimes having it like this…

3 Susan September 30, 2009 at 10:52 am

hi Sunita,

Nice blog!

Can i use rice flour which is powdered and then roasted to make porridge for my one year old daughter?

Thanks!

4 Sunita September 30, 2009 at 11:45 am

I soaked rice,then strained, roasted, ground and seived and then cooked with milk,and fed it to both my kids. So, probably you could give it a try. But rememeber, every child’s constitution is different. Feed your child a little and see how she takes it.

5 ananya April 3, 2010 at 8:29 am

Dear Sunita,

Thank you so much for this recipe. Now I’ll be able to have a nice jolpan whenever I’m homesick.

Regards,
Ananya

6 Sunita April 8, 2010 at 7:53 am

Glad you like it Ananya :-)