Welcome to my new home

by Sunita on December 1, 2008

As you can all see, I have moved my world to a new home. I had bought my domain a couple of months back and had been working on it. I was new to wordpress and everything that went along with it, so it was quite a bit of a struggle. After many mishaps, I have finally managed to get my head round things and decided to make the move. Thanks goes to two dear friends- Sia and Sig, who, by laying the pros and cons, helped me make up my mind about moving house. And I am glad I took the plunge. I am now, actually quite enjoying the learning.

Hope you love my new home and support it in the same way as you did my last one. Leaving blogspot did make me a bit sad…after all I have spent nearly two years with it. But yes, I felt it was time to move on. Do feel free to have a look around and of course, suggestions are always welcome.

Now, we need something sweet to celebrate…and that’s where these Rocky Road bars/squares…

come in. They are one of Rengoni and Agastya’s favourites and we make it at home. They love it , not only for the fact that they love to devour them, but also for the fact that they can join in the making. After all, they are so simple.

Rocky road bars have been described by their makers as- A delightfully light, fluffy marshmallow topped with flavorful roasted cashew nuts, crunchy malt, and covered with rich chocolate.

Intrigued about it’s origins, this is what I found out-

The flavor is claimed to have been created in 1929 by William Dreyer when he cut up walnuts and marshmallows with his wife’s sewing scissors and added them to his chocolate ice cream during the Great Depression. The company claims it was then so named “to give folks something to smile about in the midst of the Great Depression.”

Another host says the flavors were created by a Milton Ainbinder, while owning an ice cream toppings factory. Sam Altshuler, a Russian immigrant who arrived in the United States in 1917, founded Annabelle Candy Company, Incorporated, in 1950. Mr. Altshuler learned the art of candy making, and after struggling for years, finally achieved success with his Rocky Road candy bar. He named his business the “Annabelle Candy Company” after his daughter, and began manufacturing Rocky Road in San Francisco. The item quickly gained popularity throughout the western United States where it has its strongest hold today, and is currently ranked among the top 35-40 best selling chocolate bars on the West Coast.(source)

Whatever the origins, we do love them. We do not make ours in layers, we just mix them all together…much easier. And, I must say, it’s not only the kids… I love nuts in my chocolate, so they work perfectly for me too ;-) Dinesh doesn’t like nuts in his, but loved these squares, so, there!

The following is our version of rocky road bars/squares, made, quite a while ago.

You can use your own combination of nuts and fruits, and even the kind of chocolate.

300 gms of dark chocolate
1C chopped cashew nuts
1/2 C raisins
2 tblsp of cream
3/4 C mini marshmallows (or cut up larger ones)
3-4 tblsp of dessicated coconut

1. Line an 8 inch square pan with foil.
  2. Melt the chocolate in a bowl and mix in the cream. Add the nuts, raisins and marshmallows. Stir quickly and transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Spread out the mixture and sprinkle the coconut on top.
  3. Let the mixture come to room temperature. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
  4. Cut into squares/bars ( dipping the knife in hot water helps) and enjoy!

With another depression looming over our heads, these rocky road squares did give us something to smile about :-)

1 Mishmash! December 1, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Congrats….:) happy to be part of your house warming :) )

Thanks dear Shn.

2 Deesha December 1, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Hey
A BIG congratulations to you :-)

Thank you!

3 Asha December 1, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Hey, looks great! I did change to your new home. Enjoy! :) )

Workers are here, busy ripping the carpets up. Kitchen is free atleast with my Laptop on the countertop but no TV downstairs at all until next 2 weeks! Going thru’ withdrawal symptoms right now without CNN! ;D

Take care, see you next year. We will be off to Winter vacation from 3rd week Dec. Have a great new year celebration. Hugs.

Asha, so very nice to see you back here. Nice to know that your kitchen is free. Enjoy your vacation and wish you and your family a very happy new year.

4 Ramya December 1, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Congrats on ur new “Home Sweet Home”…. You Rock (those bars too ;) )!!

5 Meeta December 1, 2008 at 1:48 pm

congrats on the move! and these look like a great way to celebrate!

Thanks, dear Meeta:-)

6 rachel December 1, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Wow you have a gorgeous place here..love the pleasing colours…nothing better than to celebrate with those scrumtpious squares..

Thanks dear Rachel, we did love those squares…maybe you could make it with your little one.

7 CurryLeaf December 1, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Love your new home and have already bookmarked the address.Gorgeous site and scrumptious squares.Love everything.CONGRATS.
Hope you are okay now.Please take care.

Thank you. I am much better now.

8 Ivy December 1, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Congratulations Sunita, for moving on to wordpress. Your new site looks fantastic. Those bars look delicious.

9 Gretchen Noelle December 1, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Sunita – Congratulations! I am very envious as I so want to make the big move, but just haven’t done it yet. Looks great so far. Celebrate!!!

Thanks, dear Gretchen.

10 Lubna Karim December 1, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Oh Wow new house looks rocking. Congratulations on enriching new world. Happy and sweet house warming.

Thank you.

11 Happy Cook December 1, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Congragulations.
Love the new place. Seeing this new place i would also try it, but i am so afraid that i might do something wrong .
Love those bars. I have all the ingridients except marshmellows otherwise i would have made them today for Shyama.
Will have to wait till i buy the marshmellows.
But i am sure going to make them as they look so yumm.

Thank you.It did take a while to get my head around things. Do try the bars…hope Shyama loves them

12 RedChillies December 1, 2008 at 10:18 pm

Congratulations dear Sunita on the move. The new ‘home’ looks beautiful. What a way to start off for the new year.

Thank you so much. I have learnt a great deal.

13 Sig December 2, 2008 at 1:27 am

Congrats Sunita! The site looks fabulous! Even though there is a bit of warm up time, you’d love WP in the long run…. So flexible!

Thanks Sig…I love it already :-)

14 Nags December 2, 2008 at 2:00 am

Wow! the magazine theme :) lovely! congrats

15 Laavanya December 2, 2008 at 5:59 am

Congratulations Sunita on your new & beautiful space :)

16 Madhu December 2, 2008 at 6:20 am

Like the new look Sunitha. I just moved from blogspot to wordpress yesterday.
Pictures are just superb……..

Thank you.

17 sushma December 2, 2008 at 6:38 am

Hey Sunita another milestone.. Congrats.. and keep going wish all the best and wish i keep seeing more yummy recipes.

18 Nirmala December 2, 2008 at 8:02 am

Wow! What a gorgeous new home! I love it! And for the rocky road bars I have fallen for it long before. Once planned to make this but couldn’t find marshmallows around so made them first. But we finished them before they could find place in to rocky road bars. Your’s is quiet tempting and asking to make some soon!

Thank you, dear Nirmala. Do give the squares a try.

19 priya December 2, 2008 at 3:45 pm

hi sunita
congrats of ur new home………….
i love reading ur blogs and have tried out quite a few of your recipes. and have really loved them………..i have just one question………..is it in any way possible for ur blogs to be delivered to my mail as in blogspot

Thank you Priya. Glad you like my space. As for receiving blog updates, click on the ’subscribe’ button on the navigation bar at the top of the page. There is an option to subscribe through email.

20 arundati December 2, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Congratulations Sunitha!! cheers to a wonderful time here at the new home!! it looks great…and the rocky bars are such an apt way to celebrate!!

21 Aparna December 2, 2008 at 6:37 pm

I did think your old home was good, but this one’s much, much better.
You keep making all these lovely bars and its chocolate this time.:)

Thanks dear Aparna…a few decadent squares this time for a celebration :-)

22 Priya December 2, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Congratulations Sunita. The blog looks fabulous, I can imagine the amount of work it must have taken to set it up, good job :)

Thanks, dear Priya. Yes, it did take a while. Especially, since I’m a non techie, I had to learn quite a lot.

23 musical December 2, 2008 at 8:41 pm

Congratulations! Your new home looks so pretty (and as always very comforting).

Hugs,
musical.

24 Jyothsna December 3, 2008 at 5:34 am

Congrats on your new space! I too made rocky road bars recently and should write about it once I’m back to blogging!

Thank you. Looking forward to your version :-)

25 Nicisme December 4, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Your new home is wonderful!
The bars look delicious, I like the addition of the cashew nuts.

Thanks, dear Nicole :-)

26 Kevin December 9, 2008 at 1:21 am

The new home is looking good and so are those rocky road bars!

Thanks :-)