Bespectacled and some carroty treats…

by Sunita on December 8, 2008

Hope all of had an enjoyable weekend. We had a cold and frosty one :-)

For quite a while now, Rengoni has been complaining about blurry vision…”air dots”, as she calls them. So, on Saturday, we whisked her away for an eye check up and she came back bespectacled.

She was, of course, excited about her new glasses, but it did break my heart. I know, the novelty will soon wear off. The next day, while I was talking to my ma, over the phone, she sighed ” Oh! That’s sounds so much like you!” Now, there’s some reason behind her exclaiming so. You see, the li’l lady is quite a voracious reader.  She could spend every spare minute with books. And she also loves to write as well. Well, what’s wrong with that?, you might ask? Aren’t those suposed to be good habits? Well, yes, it is, and I have no complaints about that. But, she gets so engrossed with her reading and writing, that she gives very little attention to the lighting, thereby straining her eyes much more than necessary. I am usually running after her, cajoling her about it,adjusting the lights, but there are so many instances when I fail to do so. Like in the wee hours of the morning, when a book is the first thing she reaches out, or when she is goes to fetch something, comes across a book and sits down with it, and which seems to get closer and closer to her eyes, the more she is engrossed. And all that has  taken it’s toll on her little eyes. Yes, all the above was exactly what I was moaning about, to my ma. Ma reminded me, how, I too, was exactly like that and was bespectacled early on. Like mother, like daughter? Oh! How I wished she wasn’t , not in this instance !

But, the following carrot and pine nut cupcakes

tell  a different story altogether. I have no complaints about them, nothing to moan about at all. Simple to make, and subtle in taste, they soon won us over. I actually came across a similar version for a carrot cake in an ancient bbc food magazine, many moons ago. I tweaked everything to suit our taste,making cupcakes instead of one large cake, replacing self raising flour with whole wheat, light muscovado sugar with the darker version, and adding pine nuts. I avoided frosting, and instead added a topping of nuts which added a nice bite. In other words, I took the inspiration, but made them with my own measurements, which are as follows-

4 tblsp of dark muscovado sugar

1/4 C of sunflower oil

2 eggs, lightly beaten

2 carrots, grated

grated rind of one large orange

3/4 C whole wheat flour (atta)

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda

3/4 tsp cinnamon powder

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

2+2 tblsp of pine nuts

a small handful of raisins

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line a cupcake tray.
  2. Place the sugar, oil and eggs in  a bowl and mix lightly with a wooden spoon.
  3. Stir in the raisins, carrots and 2 tblsp of pine nuts.
  4. Sieve together the flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add to the egg mixture and fold in with a rubber spatula( do not over handle the batter at any point).
  5. Fill the cupcake liners three fourths of the way (makes 9 -10 cupcakes) and sprinkle the rest of the nuts on top.
  6. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 20- 22 minutes or till a toothpick inserted through the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.
  7. Cool on the tray for a minute. Transfer the cupcakes to a rack and cool completely before storing in air tight containers…well, that is if you can resist biting into one while still warm ;-)

That’s it! Aren’t they simple to make? We did love them. They were soft and spongy, mildly sweet with a subtle flavour from the spices. The nuts also added a nice bite.

And since we loved these carroty treats and they were not overtly sweet, I am sending them over to dear Dee, who is guest hosting dear Meeta’s Monthly mingle. The theme for this month is- Low sugar sweet treats.

1 Asha December 8, 2008 at 1:28 pm

I understand! None of my parents, grand parents, Uncles and aunts wear specs but I had a severe Myopia since the age of 16 (-9.75 in one eye at the end!) and both my kids have their own slight Myopia since elementary school, can’t help it. Trisha opted for contact lens now, will have LASIK as soon as eye docs approve. Wearing specs is very inconvenient and uncomfortable but can’t give up on our beloved books, can we? NO WAY!! :D

She will be alright, one of those inevitable things we have to put up with in life.

Enjoy the beautiful cupcakes.Have a wonderful new year’s celebration, see you next year! :) )

Dear asha, reading your comment has been really soothing…thank you :-) …you and your family have a wonderful new year too :-)

2 Happy Cook December 8, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Those cup cakes looks so delcious and they look so moist.
Tell Rengoni she looks beautiful in her specs.
Here Shyama too started wearinf them when she was 7yrs. She too have a powerful lens ( it is like her dad) now she has been asking if she can have lens. Not yet decided.
I too was always busy behind shyama when she was reading always telling her put the light one, ot put the reading lamp on.
Wow i just read Ashas coments, she do have really powerful lens.

Thanks.
So Shyama’s got specs too! And yes, those glasses of asha’s are indeed quite powerful..

3 indosungod December 8, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Sunita, those carrot cakes are a treat. Forgot to add the new site on to the reader and missed out on a few posts. Congratulations on the blog anniversary. Little Rengoni does look cute in those glasses.

Thanks Indo…better late than never ;-)

4 CurryLeaf December 8, 2008 at 6:12 pm

Lovely Cupcake.Your daughter looks beautiful in specs.There is nothing to worry about.We just can’t stop reading just bcoz we do not like specs.Let her do whatever she likes and interest her.Specs are nothing at all and they should not stop her

No, of course not…she is not at all deterred by her specs and her reading is going on in full swing…it’s just the mother in me, I guess…I was the same too, at her age, but it’s very different when you’re on the other side.

5 Hayley December 8, 2008 at 9:42 pm

These cupcakes are on my things to do this week…topped with vanilla maple frosting!

Lovely Post,
Hayley

Do try them Hayley…your frosting sounds interesting :-)

6 Nirmala December 9, 2008 at 3:38 am

Myself and my sis started wearing spectacles in very ealry age exactly of Rengoni’s. I remember that day my father weeping bitterly in his room. I have never saw him crying like that till now. Don’t worry. I am exactly like you. She’ll soon realize the discomforts of spectacles and might listen to you. The carrot cakes were adorable and I am done with my batch of marshmallows last weekend. In a day or two will be making the rocky road bars. Can’t wait to havea bite of them :)

Aww, your father was sweet :-) …hope you enjoy the bars :-)

7 Meeta December 9, 2008 at 8:06 am

simply fantastic. i love such type of cakes/cupcakes!

Thanks, Meeta…they were quite soft and moist indeed.

8 Psychgrad December 9, 2008 at 3:28 pm

I started wearing glasses when I was 9 years old. I actually like wearing glasses and have never regretted getting them (it was optional when I first started wearing them). There are a lot of funky glasses nowadays, so they be a nice way of expressing identity.

Nice muffins! The pinenuts make an interesting addition.

Thanks…yes, one does get used to glasses…I have too, and I know she will :-)

9 Sharmi December 9, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Oh Rengoni, That does not look bad at all. infact she looks pretty:) Its all a part of life Sunita.
My Son developed Asthma at age 3, can you believe. this is much better than that isn’t it?
Btw the cupcakes look so divine!!

Sharmi, sorry to hear about your li’l one. The cupxakes were quite a hit in our house, if I may say so :-)

10 sushma December 10, 2008 at 10:36 am

Hey Sunita.. I completely agree with you. coz i was d first one at my home to get a spacale and i remember how my mon tried all sorts of alternate medicines to avoid me wearing a spakse.

Those carrot cakes look so yum..

Sushma, both me and Dinesh have glasses, but one doesn’t want the same for the kids, do you ….as for the cupcakes, we did love them, quite a lot :-)

11 Nicisme December 10, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Both my kids wear glasses – your daughter looks super in them!
I never thought of making small carrot cakes like this before – great idea!

Thanks Nic…I usually make more smaller cakes than one large one :-)

12 Sunshinemom December 17, 2008 at 3:43 am

Carrot cupcakes look delicious, and healthy! I too don’t frost my cakes generally because they take in a lot of sugar and cream etc.
At my parents’ place we are all chashmudeens – mine is the lowest power at 1, but my specs are basically for astigmatism. My daughter got hers two years back and now it is about getting the trendiest of frames!! Since all of us are bookworms it is no surprise but in my case it is hereditary I think!

Thanks…I avoid frosting on most occasions precisely for those reasons.I agree on the trendy frames part :-)

13 under_the neonsun September 11, 2010 at 8:09 am

Thank you for a wonderful recipe. It was my first experiment with wholewheat flour. I intend to work through more of your recipes using atta. Thanks again.

14 Preet December 1, 2010 at 6:14 am

Love ur pics & recipes. I was wondering if this cake can be made without eggs?