Choco – yogurt cookies

by Sunita on December 12, 2008

Christmas is knocking on the door. We do not celebrate it, although the kids do look forward to Santa’s kindness on the morning of Christmas; and we do feel a bit sad to disappoint their little hearts, and always do a little something.¬† After all, they will soon outgrow these things, no harm in playing along till then. Rengoni has already started asking questions…the last time one more of her tooth fell off, and she tucked the little box containing it under her pillow, she did ask “Mum, is there really a tooth fairy? I hope it’s not you or daddy leaving the money¬† under my pillow”. At one time, she even thought of staying awake to see whether the fairy actually came, but her eyes were too weary and she soon fell asleep. I just smiled at her question, but at that moment, somehow I couldn’t help but feel that my little girl was growing up and I could feel the tightness in my heart.

As Christmas nears, once again, she does look forward to the loot on the day, but does not fail to express her doubts at the same time. With the festive season around the corner, most of you must have started off with or are going to start baking lots of goodies. I am always ready for a nice round of baking, so when Susan invited entries for Christmas cookies, I thought of sending the following choco-yogurt cookies.

If you want to enjoy a good cookie, and you like it a bit mellow, then this is the cookie for you. Filled with the goodness of oats, whole wheat flour, honey and yogurt, they provide guilt free indulgence. They are not overdressed, but have a subtle presence.

Here’s how I made them…

1/3 C jumbo oats

3/4 C whole wheat flour

1/3 tsp bicarbonate of soda

2 tsp dessicated coconut

1/3 C chocolate drops/chips

3 tblsp of plain yogurt

4 tblsp of honey

3 tblsp of sunflower oil

1 tsp vanilla essence

a litle granulated sugar for sprinkling

1. Pre heat the oven at 170 deg C. Line a baking tray with foil.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, oats,soda, coconut and chocolate drops/chips
  3. In a nother bowl, mix together the yogurt, oil, honey and vanilla.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the oats mixture and tip in the yogurt mixture.
  5. Fold in till just mixed. use fingertips if desired, but do not over mix.
  6. Make 18 equal balls of the mixture and place them in rows, slightly apart from each other.
  7. Flatten the balls with the back of a fork. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 15 minutes or till the tops are very slightly brown.
  8. Remove from the oven and sprinkle a little sugar over the cookies. Let them cool on the tray for a minute and then transfer to a rack to cool completely before storing in air tight containers.

The best time to eat these cookies is when still warm. Mildly sweet, the coconut added a nice bite They do get slightly softer on storing, but still tastes good. So there you go, Susan, adding my humble cookies to your list :-)

1 CurryLeaf December 12, 2008 at 11:37 pm

Lovely and lovely.Play along with the kids,Sunitha.These like these remain in heart when they grow up and look back.For us also it will be memorable.Perfect entry for Christmas cookies.

Thanks…and yes, childhood does pass by in the blink of an eye :-)

2 Patricia Scarpin December 13, 2008 at 1:02 am

These are adorable, Sunita! And so is your blog – I love the new look! Beautiful as everything you make!

Thanks, dear Patricia :-)

3 ttfn300 December 13, 2008 at 1:28 am

these look just lovely!

4 Nirmala December 13, 2008 at 3:43 am

There a smile left on my facce long after finishing reading this. I could imagine Regoni’s face and yours when she asked that question about tooth fairy. Have fun as long as it could last! The cookies look rustic and delicious.

Nirmala, yes, the charms of childhood will soon fade away…better to make the most of it…and the cokies were greatly loved by all of us :-)

5 Divya December 13, 2008 at 5:02 am

Hey Sunita..those cookies look simply superb..you made it using whole wheat flour maaney atta??Yum..cant wait to make these healthy cookies..;-)

Yes, it was an atta – oats combo…do give them a try..makes you feel guilt free :-)

6 Rosa December 13, 2008 at 8:59 am

Those cookies look very pretty and incredibly good! An interesting combo!

Thanks Rosa…we did love them a lot :-)

7 Maria Jose December 13, 2008 at 10:07 am

Hi Sunita

I would love to try these cookies. Can you please tell me how long can we store it.

Take care
Maria

Do give the cookies a try, Maria. I made them on Thursday, and they were still okay, today..would go well tomorrow as well..so probably 4-5 days.

8 snookydoodle December 13, 2008 at 10:37 am

wow these look great. and healthy too :)

Thanks :-)

9 Happy Cook December 13, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Regoni is indeed growing up. It so shocking how as they are growing up.
Love the cookies, never evr made anything with oats.

Thanks F…i love baking with oats…love the texture it gives :-)

10 indosungod December 13, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Cookie look fantastic. DDs want me to bake some cookies for Christmas, I am not a baker by any means. I am planning to go through your archives to find a easy one.
They do grow up so fast :)

Oh yes, they do :-) …hope you find the archives useful…I’m sure a great cook will do alright :-)

11 Deesha December 13, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Hey sunita ,

The cookies look gorgeous. I havent tried baking with oats .. Planning to try them soon

Thanks…do give them a try…I use oats quite often in my baking…love the bite :-)

12 Suganya December 13, 2008 at 6:04 pm

The chocolate drops are cuuute. I would keep popping ‘em in my mouth. I am aware of yogurt in cakes, but yogurt cookies are new to me. Anything to go low-fat. Right? :)

Right! and especially when they taste great as well…we couldn’t have enough :-)

13 Soma December 13, 2008 at 10:54 pm

They lok so cute. I have never used yogurt to make bake cookies.

I am going thru the same thing with my elder daughter. She still believes in tooth fairy & Santa But knows now that Mickey Mouse is not real.(She wondered why Mickey mouse did not have any photos of his mom & dad when she visited his house in Disney! )… Every time I hear a doubt my heart skips a beat….

Thanks…I was quite pleased with the cookies :-) ..and yes, kids grow up way too fast .

14 Kiran December 14, 2008 at 2:31 am

This is a great healthy recipe, one of those were the children feel we are treating them but we know we are putting good wholesome ingredients in them. When growing up we used to celebrate all festivals, and the best memory of Christmas is the Christmas train that we used to ride. I feel it is a good way to round up the year with friends and family – lots of eating and enjoying life.

You’re absolutely right…and that gives me immense pleasure.

15 Ivy December 14, 2008 at 6:53 am

Santa as we know him today is just a creation of Coca Cola and has nothing to do with the real saint. However, as long as our children are happy, let them dream and as you say they grow up quickly and they will realize, as all children around the world, that Santa does not bring the presents but what will remain are happy memories. I love cookies with oats and these really sound healthy and delicious especially with coconut.

Yes, children do need memories, and isn’t it amazing as to how the Santa thing has caught on over the years.
As for the cookies, we really loved them too…the coconuts added a nice bite :-)

16 Coffee and Vanilla December 14, 2008 at 11:52 am

Sunita,
Those cookies look truly delicious!
Chocolate and yogurt combination sounds really good… lovely photos as well :)

Margot

Thanks Margot :-)

17 Susan from Food Blogga December 14, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Your story about your daughter and the tooth fairy warms my heart, Sunita. My brother was telling me a similar story about my niece, and he desperately wants her to stay “young and innocent.” You’re such a wonderful mom for creating such wonderful memories for your children, which I know they will always cherish. Thank you so much for your entry. I just love them.

You’re most welcome dear Susan :-)

18 Sig December 14, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Those sure are healthy cookies… they look wonderful Sunita!

Thanks :-)

19 Kalai December 15, 2008 at 1:07 am

Guilt free indulgence. Music to my ears!! Will try these out!! :)

Thanks…do give them a try :-)

20 Psychgrad December 15, 2008 at 2:36 am

This looks like a great recipe Sunita. I’ve been wanting to spend some time looking for cookies that contain less sugar and white flour. I’m definitely starring this one!

Very cute story about your kids. I remember the first time I lost a tooth, I was afraid of having the toothfairy come into my room at night. So, I made a deal with my parents and left it on the kitchen table with a note saying, “Dear Toothfairy. I hope you find my tooth”. Giz reassured me that if the toothfairy knows which homes to go to in order to to find teeth for each child, then she will find it on the table.

Do give the cookies a try…I try to avoid white flour, butter and lots of sugar as much as I can.
As for your story, that’s so sweet…one wonders as to how fast childhood passes by :-)

21 Psychgrad December 15, 2008 at 2:37 am

Oh…the latter part of the story….I was snooping through my mom’s jewellery one day and found a bunch of teeth. Giz tried to convince me that she was holding them for the toothfairy, but it was too late.

You know what ? Actually my kids too saw their teeth,and I said something very, very similar :-)

22 Shreya December 15, 2008 at 9:16 am

Hi, Awesome cookies!:-) Can’t believe the use of yogurt in it! Such a healthy recipe…

Thank you Shreya.

23 rachel December 15, 2008 at 10:21 am

A healthy recipe..sugar, coconut. for me ina cookie is divine..

24 Aparna December 15, 2008 at 11:57 am

These cookies are nice and a nice change from the very rich confections one usually sees.
It was the same with my daughter. She used to be worried we didn’t have a chimney for Santa to come through, till I convinced her he would get in through the window. :) She’s older but she still enjoys celebrating the festive season in her own way.

Thanks Aparna…and yes, I think every child goes through this phase :-)

25 Sunshinemom December 17, 2008 at 3:46 am

Cookies look so good – remind me of good day cashew biscuits(looks wise). Yours with wheat flour are obviously a healthier verison! I remember my younger fellow asking about the tooth fairy when he was little and my daughter being the older one immediately gave him the facts! Poor kid!

Thanks… both my kids have just a year between them, well, to be precise, a week less than a year. But, that being said, my eldest does question things a bit more.

26 Maria Jose December 17, 2008 at 4:26 pm

Hi Sunita

I made the cookies today and it turned out really great. My husband usually doesn’t like low fat/healthy stuff, but he too enjoyed it :)

Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful recipe and also for letting me know the shelf life. I’ve bookmarked some of your healthy bars recipe, will try that and let you know.

Take care
Maria

Hello Maria…glad both of you enjoyed the cookies…I was a bit aprehensive, myself, while making them, and was wondering if it was an experiment too far, but they did come out well :-)

27 sushma December 19, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Hey sunita lovely entry for the event yum.. :) i hv been so tied up wth work opeing today to see all ur posts :)

Thanks sushma, we loved them too :-)

28 Madhuram December 19, 2008 at 8:32 pm

Hi Sunita, it’s been long time since I visited here. The new look of the blog is very neat . These cookies have also come out very good. How do you come with such interesting recipes?

Nice to have you here, madhu :-) as for the recipes, I guess, after a while, you get the hang of things :-)

29 Nicisme December 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm

I think those cookies look fabulous! Your photos are brilliant as always. Are those chocolate drops little balls? I’ve not seen any like that before.

Thanks Nic…they are indeed little balls which came along with an assortment .

30 Ivonne December 26, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Sunita,

These sound incredible … just the right type of sweet to enjoy in the days after the holidays! Lovely!

Thanks Ivonne :-)

31 Sharmilee July 19, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I tried these cookies last week and we luved the taste. But they were crunchy and not crispy Is it the way it gets baked or am I missing something?

32 Kay August 11, 2010 at 1:09 am

Sunita,

I’ve made this cookie many times and we love it! I also make an adaptation of this with 3 tsp of cocoa powder and sugar instead of honey. Even that turned out to be the best chocolate cookie ever.

I always come to your site for the easiest and tastiest of cookies. The bonus is that they are very healthy but then they taste really good that people are always surprised at the very low amount of sugar and fat in it and also that it uses wholewheat flour!

Thank you very much!! You ought to write a book soon! Really! :)

Kay