Coffee – craisin – mascarpone loaf

by Sunita on December 17, 2008

It was still cold when me and the kids stepped out of the house today, but the sun was shining down in full glory. We haven’t seen the sun god for quite a few days now, and it does make one appreciate it all the more.

This week has been a flurry of activities for the li’l ones, both in their school and their local brownies and beaver groups. ‘Christmas’ is the word that has been dropping into our conversations quite often, recently…outings, writing out Christmas and new year cards; practising for Christmas concerts; getting ready for Christmas parties..sigh! I am ready for a break!

Today, ladies and gentlemen, I am going to present you with an intoxicating recipe. No, I’m not going to get you drunk, but I might sneak some booze into what’s going to make it’s way out of my oven. It’s a Coffee- craisin-mascarpone loaf.

The coffee part of the loaf is where the booze is..but if you do not like it, read on for substitutions. This is another of my put together recipes. I did like the outcome…the loaf was moist and spongy, the nuts on top adding a nice bite.

4 eggs, separated

3 tblsp honey

7-8 tblsp of Baileys Irish cream with a hint of coffee **

3 tblsp mascarpone cheese

2 and 1/2 tblsp of whole wheat flour(atta)

1 tsp baking powder

a handful of craisins

a handful of almond slivers

a little icing sugar for dusting

For the spread-

mascarpone cheese

honey

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C. Line an 8 and 1/2 inch by 4 and 1/2 inch loaf with foil and brush with oil.
  2. Mix together the flour and baking powder.
  3. Beat the egg yolks together with honey. Follow this with the liquer, mascarpone cheese and flour mixture, beating well after each addition.
  4. Beat the egg whites till they are frothy and form soft peaks.
  5. Fold the egg whites into the rest of the mixture.
  6. Fold in the craisins and tip the mixture into the prepared loaf tin.
  7. Place the tin in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for 2 minutes.
  8. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the almond slivers on top.  Do this very quickly.( the batter is quite thin, the almonds will sink in, baking for 2 minutes firms the top a bit)
  9. Return to the oven and bake for about 20-21 minutes.
  10. Cover the loaf with foil( to avoid over browning) and bake for  another 14-15 minutes.
  11. Cool in the pan for a minute and then transfer to a rack. Very carefully, peel off the foil. Cool completely and dust the loaf with icing sugar before slicing.
  12. Make the spread by mixing a little honey with some mascarpone cheese.
  13. Serve the slices with a dollop of the honey-mascarpone spread.

**notes-

• Coffee liquer substitute- To replace 1 tablespoon of liqueur, use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of chocolate extract mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of instant coffee, which has been mixed in 1 tablespoon of water(instead of water, can use 1/2 tblsp single cream+1/2 tblsp water). Can also substitute expresso, non-alcoholic coffee extract or coffee syrup (the colour of the finished product may differ with substitutes).
  • The loaf will slightly sink after cooling…but, not to worry, this does not affect the taste or texture at all.

It was mildly sweet, moist and spongy. The downside? Well, it is not so much of a downside, as far as taste goes, but visually, it would have been nicer if the craisins spread around a bit…as the batter was thin, they decided to sink to the bottom and it was a bit late to do anything to rescue them. But, as I have said, they did not affect the taste in any way, and added their sweetness to the loaf.

Enjoy! Keep it away from the kids though ;-)

1 chandani December 17, 2008 at 11:42 pm

this looks so amazing!! can’t wait to try this out:)

Thanks…do give it a try :-)

2 Cashew December 18, 2008 at 12:01 am

These look heavenly!

Thanks :-)

3 Susan from Food Blogga December 18, 2008 at 1:19 am

How fabulous is this cake? Subtly sweet and moist and studded with craisins? Oh, my.

Thanks Susan, we did love it :-)

4 Nags December 18, 2008 at 1:21 am

That looks heavenly! I can’t even find the time to bake a loaf of bread over the weekend these days. I know, lame excuses :)

Thanks Nags…would have baked some for you, if you were near :-)

5 Manggy December 18, 2008 at 2:55 am

I love the site redesign Sunita! The loaf looks wonderful. I wonder if tossing the craisins in flour before adding helps to keep them afloat?

Thanks Manggy…I thought about that too, just wasn’t very sure…thanks for confirming…will remember next time :-)

6 snookydoodle December 18, 2008 at 5:23 am

this looks delicious . presentation is awesome. yummy

7 sra December 18, 2008 at 5:29 am

You blow me away with your cakes and breads, Sunita. I could do with some of that now – think I’ll go and weep silently – no way I’ll get anything like this here.

Aww Sra, don’t weep…I’msure you will come up with something nice :-)

8 vani December 18, 2008 at 6:04 am

To prevent the craisins from sinking to the bottom you could them toss them in flour until they are well coated and then fold them into the batter. Something that i have seen the chefs on the food channel doing all the time.

Thanks Vani, will definitely remember it next time :-)

9 Priya December 18, 2008 at 6:37 am

That loaf sure looks lovely. Do you really only need 2 and 1/2 tablespoons of flour?

Yes, Priya, that’s all the flour you need..it is a thin batter :-)

10 AnuSriram December 18, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Looks perfect and delicious! Tempting!

Thanks Anu :-)

11 Happy Cook December 18, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Wow it looks so yumm, i am going to make them. I have to google what craisins are. I just thought they were same as dried cranberries, will check them .
But sure i am making this yumm cake.

Do try it, F…craisins are sweetened dried cranberries :-)

12 bee December 18, 2008 at 2:51 pm

wish you a wonderful rest of the year and the next, dear sunita. i love your new template

Thanks dear Bee, the same to you and Jai :-)

13 CurryLeaf December 18, 2008 at 3:18 pm

WOW,Perfect-amazing that it needs only less than 3 tbsp of flour.I agree with Sra as well-can never make or even think of such heavenly creation.Perfect when fresh from the oven,warm and comforting

Thanks :-)

14 Soma December 19, 2008 at 2:24 am

I love what went in that cake. All my favorite stuffs. ..craisins, mascarpone & irish creme…. must have tasted divine!

Happy Holidays & a great new year ahead!

Thank you soma, for your wishes, the same to you and your family :-)

15 Sanghi December 19, 2008 at 2:40 am

Very cute site. attractive and lovely, pretty clicks. Keep it up.. Do visit my blog and leave ur comments..

Thanks :-)

16 Lubna Karim December 19, 2008 at 11:05 am

Wow looks gr8 with all those yummy ingredients.

Thanks:-)

17 sushma December 19, 2008 at 12:50 pm

This look so tempting sunita :) i loved the edges.

Thanks

18 Happy Cook December 20, 2008 at 10:09 am

HI sunita well now that you said they are same, i am gonna make today for tommrows sunday coffee and will take htem to my in laws place.
I will do with cake flour than with atta flour.
Am on a break from blogging as Shyama is in holiday so will come and tell here how it turned out.

19 Happy Cook December 20, 2008 at 5:43 pm

Hi sunita you wrote 2 1/2 tbsp of atta flour, i hope you meant cups as i am going to do the cup measurement, hoping it is a type mistake.

dear f, there is no typo…it is actually 2 and 1/2 tblsps…happy baking :-)

20 Happy Cook December 20, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Just read the coments and read in your reply to a comment , it is only tbsps. GOod that my daughter was next to me and she was reading the comments.

Well done, Shyama :-)

21 Happy Cook December 22, 2008 at 9:38 am

Sunita made your cake and it was really delicious. I took them to my inlaws place and everybody loved it.
All of them were surprised when i told them there was no suagar, butter and only few tbsp of flour.
I added baileys into the mascarpone cheese for serving instead of honey.
I ml so happy that i made them.
One of the cakes which is going to show up in my coffeee table again.
Will post them when i am back from the break.
Shyama is having holidays then i don’t blog .
Thankyou for the wonderful recipe.

Yaay! I’m so glad everyone loved the cake, HC. I myself was quite apprehensive when I made it. Enjoy your break :-)

22 Namratha December 22, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Looks very moist Sunita, perfect loaf.

Thanks :-)

23 Nicisme December 22, 2008 at 10:12 pm

Oh my, that is perfect! That topping, that bottom, and don’t get me started on the middle!!

:-D

24 varsha January 8, 2009 at 12:31 am

That look so amazingly tempting Sunita..Wow..:)

25 Sunita January 8, 2009 at 6:55 am