Soup and muffins!

by Sunita on December 19, 2008

It was the last day of the kids’ term today, before they break up for the holidays. And yes, we are all looking forward to it. No, no grand designs,  no elaborate plans, but just the thought of a break from the usual routine is such a nice feeling.

The other day, I received a box of mixed organic fruit and vegetables from Abel and Cole, the organic food suppliers. It included, among others, some gorgeous leeks, carrots and desiree potatoes. I used the leeks and potatoes to make a thick, creamy and spicy soup. The carrots made their way into some savoury muffins to accompany the soup. We had it last night, and after, what I thought , was a resounding success (I think all of us had a bit more than we should), am noting down the recipe for both.

For the potato and leek soup-

Whats’s needed-

4 desiree potatoes (or other similar textured potatoes), peeled and roughly chopped

2 leeks, roughly chopped

7-8 cloves of garlic, halved

2 tblsp of extra virgin olive oil

1/2 tsp crushed red chillies(more or less)

1 tsp paprika

1/3 tsp turmeric powder

2 tsp roasted and ground cumin

2 bay leaves

5 C of stock

salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat the oil in a deep pan. Except the stock, add the rest of the ingredients, in the order listed above.
  2. Stir well. Cover and cook over low heat for about 12-13 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
  3. Add the stock, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or till the potatoes are soft, but not mushy.
  4. Remove from heat and discard the bay leaves.
  5. Puree in batches, in a food processor, and return to a pan over heat.
  6. Check the seasoning and stir till heated through.
  7. Serve hot with croutons, toast, or with the following muffins and garnish with some crushed red chillies and a swirl of cream(optional)

For the savoury muffins-

3C of whole wheat flour(atta)

3 and 1/2 tsp of baking powder

3 tblsp of Italian seasoning

2 level tblsp of grated cheddar cheese

1 and 1/2 tsp salt

2 small carrots, grated

1 tsp crushed red chillies

2 tblsp sundried tomato paste

2 and 1/2 tblsp of extra virgin olive oil

a handful of raisins

1 and 1/2 c of plain yogurt mixed with 1/2 C of water

a handful of sesame seeds

1. Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C. Grease the moulds of a muffin tray.
  2. In a bowl, except the yogurt mixture and the sesame seeds, add all the rest of the ingredients. Rub the ingredients together with your fingertips till everything is mixed together very well.
  3. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the yogurt mixture.
  4. Fold in, preferably with a rubber spatula or with the fingertips till everything just comes together. Do not overmix.
  5. Fill the muffin moulds with tblspns of the mixture  and sprinkle a little of the sesame seeds over each ( I got 17 muffins).
  6. Place the tray in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for about 24-25 minutes or till golden.
  7. Cool the muffins in the tray for a couple of minutes. Run the back of a spoon round the muffins and transfer to a rack to cool completely if serving later.
  8. Before serving, warm the muffins a little in the microwave, or wrap in foil and heat in a pre heated oven.

These muffins were a delight. Soft and with a very slight heat from the chillies. The li’l guy had four of these, after which I really had to stop him :-) And the soup, it was  a spicy, creamy delight, smooth as silk . Dinesh, who is usually not very good at bestowing praises, had quite a lot to say about it, as soon as he tried the first spoonful. Well, not quite a lot, probably one or two words, but, coming from him, that was more than enough :-)

Have a great weekend, everyone, and for all my readers who are in the midst of winter, do keep warm :-)

1 snookydoodle December 19, 2008 at 8:56 pm

I only made savoury muffins once . these are a great accompaniment to the soup :) ideal for winter

Yes, they are :-)

2 Maya December 19, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Love the savoury muffins – would be great for lunch or even breakfast.

And as a snack too :-)

3 Rashmi December 20, 2008 at 6:16 am

whole wheat, eggless, and u still manage to make them look so delicious!

Thanks..we did love them indeed :-)

4 Srivalli December 20, 2008 at 6:24 am

all the pictures are mouth watering sunita…well as usual!..:))

Thanks Sri :-)

5 Indhu December 20, 2008 at 6:41 am

Absolutely delicious :)
want to gate crash and eat that soup and muffins…
I have to try the savoury muffins one of these days… will try this recipe :)

6 Priya December 20, 2008 at 10:04 am

Wow wat a awesome muffins n soup..eyecatching pics makes me hunger…

Thanks :-)

7 grace December 20, 2008 at 2:36 pm

the consistency of that soup looks incredible!! and who doesn’t love a wee muffin (or four) to pop into her mouth? lovely post, sunita!

Thanks Grace…yes the consistency of the soup did warm our hearts :-)

8 CurryLeaf December 20, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Perfect.I love both -savouy muffin and soup.The potato and leek is lovely combo and am yet to make it.Lovely combo.

Thanks…do give it a try :-)

9 priya December 20, 2008 at 3:32 pm

Wow! eggless muffins will try to bake this soon…

do give it a try :-)

10 Gretchen Noelle December 20, 2008 at 5:17 pm

What a lovely spread. Soup and muffins sounds like a great combination!!

Thanks Gretchen…we did love the combination indeed :-)

11 Lore December 20, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Love that you also used some raisins for the savoury muffins. Tasting the contrast between the sweet and the savoury brings out the best of each. Lovely!

Thanks Lore…I love that contrast too

12 Hélène December 20, 2008 at 6:01 pm

I’m saliving just looking at the pictures. Merry XMas!

Thanks Helene…Merry christmas to you too :-)

13 Meeta December 20, 2008 at 8:12 pm

I simply love soup with scones or muffins. the muffins are a real delight here – perfect flavors!

Thanks Meeta :-)

14 Soma December 21, 2008 at 3:01 am

Wow look at those muffins! Never thought of having spicy muffins with soup. Perfect combination!

Thanks…they came out quite well, actually :-)

15 Kay December 21, 2008 at 5:04 am

The soup and muffins look so good! I was wondering if there were non-sweet muffins due to some diet restrictions that I have….and here they are. :) I will give it a try soon. Thanks Sunita!

Congrats on your own domain. I love the new look too!

Thank you Kay…do give the muffins a try :-)

16 Priya December 21, 2008 at 6:12 am

Sunita, its just over an hour since I read your post, here I am eating these yummy muffins. I could not stop myself from making them, and its 1:00 in the night here :D Thank you for the superb recipe.

Priya, you do have some enthusiasm, baking so late at night :-) …am so glad you liked it :-)

17 Sonu December 21, 2008 at 11:26 am

I came across to ur space first time. Just loved ur recipes and writing. Nice presentation skill! :) I have bookmarked some couple of recipes and will try one by one. :) But definitely try this muffins soon. Your muffins and soup looks great. Will let u know about my outcome. Thanks.
Take care.
Sonu:)

Welcome sonu, do feel free to try the recipes :-)

18 Bellini Valli December 21, 2008 at 2:21 pm

What I wouldn’t give for a lovely bowl of this soup with one of your muffins. It would warm us up during this overly long cold spell. It is not usually this cold for so long here in the valley.

If only you were near :-) …we’re having a cold spell too.

19 Sunshinemom December 21, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Sounds just my kind of thing – eating I mean:) Muffins and soup both look good!

Thanks :-)

20 sushma December 22, 2008 at 10:12 am

I never had both the dishes before Sunita.. loved to prepare it :)

You’re most welcome to :-)

21 Lakshmi December 22, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Soup and muffins…mmm…lovely combo for the snowy winter.

Thanks..it did warm us up indeed :-)

22 Nicisme December 25, 2008 at 11:05 pm

That photo of the soup is really beautiful! I love the swirl, and the chillies top it off perfectly.

Thanks Nic…we did enjoy the soup a lot :-)

23 Kevin December 30, 2008 at 2:05 am

That soup looks good! I like the pattern on it. The muffins sound great! I nice mix of sweet and savoury.

24 Coffee and Vanilla January 12, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Beautiful! They look and I’m sure taste really good :)
Have a good day Sunita,
Margot

25 Sunita January 12, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Thanks margot…we did love them indeed :-)

26 Alpana September 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm

HI,

Came across your space today. Beautiful recipes. Thanks for sharing.

alpana