Orange – nut cake…

by Sunita on March 23, 2007

I love things coming out from the oven…especially cakes. This one is another of my favourites. Simple with a great flavour. The nuts add that extra zing. A really nice tea cake. Dinesh loves these kinds of mild flavoured cakes and does’nt mind that extra slice or two.

What’s needed for this orange- nut cake-

3 eggs
1 and 1/2 C plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 C sugar
1 orange
1 C cashewnuts
3/4 C butter

Chop the orange with everything-rind etc, removing of course the seeds. Add to a blender and puree it. Keep it aside.

Add the cashews to the blender and almost powder it.

Cream the butter and sugar. Beat the eggs and add to the butter-sugar mixture.

Gradually, fold in the flour and baking powder and mix well. Add the cashews and orange puree and blend in.

Pour the mixture in a well greased oven- proof dish and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees till a toothpick inserted through the middle comes out clean.

Allow the cake to cool completely and then dust with icing sugar. Now what- slice a piece
and enjoy!!!
It was of the melt in the mouth kind, if I may say so.
A last peek-

1 sra March 24, 2007 at 8:29 am

Hey, I left a comment in your fish recipe a few days ago – seems to have been gobbled up. Thanks for visiting my blog.

2 sunita's world March 24, 2007 at 1:53 pm

Hi Sra,I have’nt seen your comment…there is , however one which seems to have been deleted by the author…nice to have you back.

3 Cynthia March 25, 2007 at 1:49 am

All day today I have been craving something sweet, that orange-nut cake you have there looks moist and delicious. Yum! When you take another bite, call my name :)

4 Sandeepa March 25, 2007 at 4:19 am

Hey you really are on a baking spree. Everytime I am here I can smell that warm sweet smell straight from the oven

5 sunita's world March 25, 2007 at 9:56 am

Cynthia, thanks…I’ll definitely do that…

Sandeepa,I find anything coming out of the oven so gratifying that no sooner I’m near the it,I itch to bake…can’t help it…

6 Anonymous April 2, 2007 at 10:03 pm

Sunitha, Doesnt the orange pith make the cake bitter(I know you remove the seeds). I saw Nigella do something similar on one of her shows. I belive she boiled the orange, whole and then pureed it. Let me know. I am a citrus-lover and definitely want to try this recipe. Also what does 3/4 cup butter translate to(as in how many sticks or tablespoons)
I love all your recipes, very innovative & child friendly.

Asha

7 anisa December 18, 2010 at 6:29 pm

hi sunita!

I am really glad you are feeling better and things are back to normal. It is great to have you back! :)

I was wondering if there is any substitute for the powdered cashew in this recipe? I am not very keen on using any kind of powdered nut since my blender has been giving me some trouble. :/

I really hope there is a substitute because this recipe looks lovely! I think this is the first recipe I have seen that uses the entire orange. sounds so good!

please do reply,
anisa

8 Sunita December 19, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Hi Anisa, the ground nuts do add to the taste of this cake. How about putting the nuts in a zip locked bag and giving the nuts a nice bashing with a rolling pin? The nuts do not have to be absolutely finely ground, but I highly recommend not skipping the nuts.

9 anisa December 20, 2010 at 5:37 pm