Spice and raisin cookies

by Sunita on December 22, 2008

The festive spirit is quite contagious, don’t you think ? We hopped into our town centre over the weekend. As we do not celebrate Christmas, it was not that we had any last minute shopping to do; just needed a few regular things. The streets were all lit up and full of shoppers, faces flushed with the festive spirit. Somehow it reminded me of the atmosphere back home, during Durga Puja. I am not a crowd person, but somehow, I liked the spirit. As for the kids, they came back with flashing lightsavers and musical wands. Which makes me wonder as to why the manufacturers put in the most annoying music in the toys? Couldn’t they put in something more pleasing to the ear, considering the fact that it will be played constantly!

My regular readers will know, by now, how much I love to bake. I try to bake, especially the cakes and cookies, with as much less fat, sugar and refined flour as I can, in many cases avoiding them altogether. With kids around the house, not to mention us, the adults, there are, indeed, cravings. We do not deprive ourselves, and I just make sure that the taste is good. And, that, does not necessarily mean lots of sugar and butter. I do bake quite a lot of cookies, and we hardly buy any. I make small batches of a particular kind, so that I can  keep changing the flavours.

One particular ingredient that I love while baking my cookies is oats. Apart from the nutritional benefits, I also love their nutty texture. The following spice and raisin cookies

are another of those  to which I have added oats. These cookies with the addition of spices and molasses ( no extra sugar)  were another of those which quickly became our favourites.

1 and 1/2 C whole wheat flour (atta)

1/2 C oat flakes and a little extra for sprinkling

1/3 tsp bicarbonate of soda

3/4 tsp cinnamon powder

3/4 tsp ginger powder

1/2 C raisins

4 tblsp blackstrap molasses

7 tblsp of sunflower oil

3/4 C milk

1 egg

1. In a bowl, whisk together ther flour, oats, cinamon powder, ginger powder, soda and raisins.
  2. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, oil and molasses, in that order, whisking well afetr each addition.
  3. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the milk mixture. Fold in, preferably with a rubber spatula.
  4. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
  5. Pre heat the oven at 170 deg C. line a baking tray with foil.
  6. Drop heaped tsp fuls of the mixture onto the prepared tray, slightly apart from each other. Sprinkle a little oats over each.
  7. Place the tray in the centre of the pre heated oven and bake for about 20-22 inutes or till the tops are firm to the touch.
  8. Cool on the tray for a minute and transfer to a rack to cool completely before storing in air tight containers.

These cookies were soft and had an intense flavour, which we fell in love with. The spices added their touch. This one is going to be repeated  very often, I guess :-)

Sending these cookies over to dear Sharmi for her Cookie baking event.

1 Mishmash! December 22, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Dear friend, Wishing you and your family a beautiful X’mas and a great year ahead :)

With the pile of snow around, I feel as though I ‘m sitting under a snow mountain and am sure these spice cookies and a cup of hot chocolate can cheer me up….so send me some, I will make the hot choco myself :D

Have fun, dear

Shn

Warmest festive wishes to you and yours too, dear Shn :-) …wish I could send you some of the cookies…take care and keep warm :-)

2 Meeta December 22, 2008 at 2:55 pm

oh it’s contagious alright! i’m having my own cookie craze right now. delicious sounding cookies with the chewy raisins! wishing you happy holidays!

It does rub off on one, doesn’t it ? Thanks and the same warm wishes to you and yours too :-)

3 Soma December 22, 2008 at 3:41 pm

How lovely it looks, esp. the one with a bite take off.
u guys are a real inspiration! I just got in to baking & still think twice before I start. But just these pictures make me want to bake.

Thanks Soma…do give them a try :-)

4 snookydoodle December 22, 2008 at 5:11 pm

this look nice and spicy. Just the way I like them :) Great photos as usual :) ) Happy Holidays !!

Thank you…festive wishes to you and yours too :-)

5 Madhuram December 22, 2008 at 6:06 pm

It looks so good Sunita, especially the last picture. Happy New Year.

Thanks Madhu…warm wishes to you and your family too :-)

6 maninas December 22, 2008 at 6:24 pm

wow – they’re beautiful. and i bet they taste amazing, too.

have a wonderful holiday!

Maninas

Thanks Maninas…season’s greetings to you and yours too :-)

7 CurryLeaf December 22, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Looks GREAT.I do not know how you get the ideas,but I hearfully wish it rubs off on me as well.Whe nit come to ideas I am jinxed person.Anyway,Perfect cookies,HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND WAITING FOR MORE COOKIES.I too am in a cookie phaase right now.

Thank you… happy holidays to you too :-)

8 Susan December 23, 2008 at 3:11 am

Oooooh….molasses spice cookies, soft and cushion-y. Lovely.

Best wishes for a very happy and festive December, Sunita, to you and your family!

(Love your new, stylin’ blog look.)

Thank you, dear Susan…so nice to see you here again :-) Warm wishes to you and your family too :-)

9 Ivy December 23, 2008 at 6:39 am

What a wonderful idea to make these cookies with oats. I love the idea and raisins are a wonderful contrast to the pungent taste of ginger. Happy Holidays Sunita.

Thanks, dear Ivy…I love adding oats to cookies…wishes to you and yours too :-)

10 Sonu December 23, 2008 at 10:40 am

Dear Sunita, First of all…Wish you and ur family Marry Xmas and Happy New Year in advance! :)
Your cookies looks great and I love to try sometime and it is good b’se they are made frm Wheat Flour.
Anyway, I tried your Savoury Muffins today, it came out very good. Thanks for your recipe. :)
Sonu:)

You’re welcome, Sonu. Wishes to you and yours too :-)

11 priya December 23, 2008 at 3:49 pm

pls let me know if i can bake cookies in the micro

I haven’t baked any cookies in the microwave till now. This link might help.

12 Passionate Eater December 23, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Wow, those look so moist and thick, they could be brownies!

Thanks…we did love them a lot :-)

13 Rosa December 23, 2008 at 11:10 pm

What gorgeous cookies! Delightful!

Cheers and Happy Holidays,

Thanks Rosa…happy holidays to you too :-)

14 Sharmi December 24, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Wish you a wonderful Christmas and a prosperous New Year Sunita!! awesome pics of cookies, looks so festive. I wish send it to my cookie event?

Thanks, dear Sharmi, wishing the same to you and your family. As for the cookies, will be glad to send the over to your event :-)

15 sushma December 27, 2008 at 6:53 am

belated Merry Xmas and Happy new yr.. lovely looking cookies..

i will prefer sweet cookies though

Thanks Sushma, wishing the same to you and your family :-)

16 Miri December 29, 2008 at 5:11 am

Why indeed are the tunes so annoying – I have even removed the batteries in certain toys where the music is just an add on so that we didn’t have to suffer through tinny Bollywood tunes!

The cookies looks amazingly delicious and nicely spiced! Do you know of a good substitute for molasses?

- I too tend to reduce the butter and sugar in my baking and up the good stuff- have rarely found that they affect the recipe in any way. Cookies especially – home made are so much better than store bought especially when you have young uns eating them! In the recent white chocolate cookies I made, I added oatmeal and dried cherries and was very pleased when the combination worked well.

Wish you and your family a very Happy New Year Sunita!

Miri

Oh yes! Talk about those tunes :-0

Home mades are the best…you know exactly what goes in..no funny sounding ingredients there :-)

Wishing you and yours a wonderful new year too :-)
As for the molasses, there is actually no perfect substitute for it, but you coud try to substitute 1 cup molasses with 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (dark brown sugar has molasses in it) plus 1/4 cup liquid. You can also use 1 cup dark corn syrup, 1 cup maple syrup or 1 cup honey for 1 cup of molasses. Of course, the taste will differ.

17 Navita December 31, 2008 at 2:20 am

u have a lovely place !

first time here..wud love it if u cud stop by my lil new place sometime.

Happy new year dear.