Roots in our bread!

by Sunita on December 24, 2008

No, we haven’t started planting bread, I was just thinking of the carrot and parsnip parathas we had a couple of days ago…just got a bit carried away :-) Both the ingredients came from the box supplied by Abel and cole. Parathas do make their way into our table quite often. I love them for their versatility and usually try to incorporate various vegetables in them. This time, parsnips and carrots found their way into them. Parsnips have been a relatively late addition to our shopping trolley, but we’ve been quick to adopt it as our own.

Flavoured and hued with spices and bound with yogurt, these parathas were quite filling on their own. I just made a very plain red lentil soup (dal) to go with it. Dinesh and I also spooned a little mixed pickle on our plates.

Here’s how I made the stack…

2 medium sized parsnips, grated

2 small carrots, grated

3 and 1/2 C of whole wheat flour (atta) + extra for dusting and rolling

1 tblsp of cumin seeds

1/3 tsp turmeric powder

1/2 tsp crushed red chillies( more or less)

1 tblsp dried oregano

1 and 1/2 tsp salt

1 and 3/4 C plain yogurt

a little oil or ghee

1. In a  bowl, mix together all the ingredients, except the yogurt and oil/ghee.
  2. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the yogurt.
  3. Mix together and knead the mixture into a ball of dough ( it will be a slightly sticky one).
  4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep aside for about 30 minutes.
  5. Divide the dough into 14-15 portions and shape into balls.
  6. Roll the balls in flour and slightly flatten them.
  7. Roll the portions into discs of about 6 – 6 and 1/2 inches in diameter.
  8. Heat a pan (over medium heat) and place a rolled out disc on it. Cook for about 10-12 seconds on each side. Rub a little oil or ghee over each side and cook till brown spots appear on each side.
  9. Stack the parathas one on top of the other and wrap in foil.
  10. Serve hot with raita, pickle or like us, with some dal.

These parathas were really filling and looked pretty too. They are very capable of holding up on their own and does not need many accompaniments.

Enjoy!

Wishing my readers a very Merry Christmas :-)

1 CurryLeaf December 25, 2008 at 3:59 am

Perfect and comforting,HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Thanks…happy holidays to you too :-)

2 Madhu December 25, 2008 at 8:07 am

Looks wonderful, I too make parathas using different veggies but never tried with parsnips, very intersting ..need to try sometimes.
happy holidays to you too……

Thanks…do give them a try…happy holidays to you too :-)

3 Rosa December 25, 2008 at 10:21 am

These Parathas must taste wonderful! Really original!

Cheers and Happy Holidays,

Thanks Rosa…we did love the parathas…enjoy your holiday :-)

4 Sanghi December 25, 2008 at 1:48 pm

Wishing you too a merry christmas! Good healthy try! Do visit my site…

5 Shreya December 25, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Hi, those parathas are so delicious-looking. Happy Holidays!:-)

Thanks…happy holidays to you and your too :-)

6 Soma December 25, 2008 at 3:01 pm

The “roots” really got me! That was funny:-)
I use almost every vegetable possible in paranthas.. never tried parsnips tho. Great clicks!

Merry Christmas!

:-D …thanks for the wishes,the same to you and yours :-)

7 RedChillies December 25, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Beautiful pictures. Merry Christmas and a happy new year Sunita.

Thanks RC…the same to you and your family :-)

8 Hélène December 25, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Merry Christmas!

Thanks Helene, hope you had a wonderful day :-)

9 Coffee and Vanilla December 25, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Thank you Sunita, Happy Holidays and New Year also to You!

Love the parathas you posted, used to make ones with chick peas only.

Margot

You’re most welcome dear Margot.

As for the parathas, they arevery versatile, and can be made with various combinations :-)

10 Nicisme December 25, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Hi Sunita!
Hope you and your family had a wonderful day! Merry Christmas to you all!!

Thanks Nic, we did have a great day with friends…hope you had a great day too :-)

11 Nirmala December 26, 2008 at 3:23 am

Lovely stack of parathas. Wishing you and your family a prosperous New Year Sunita!

Thanks dear Nirmala, wishing you and your family the same :-)

12 Alka December 26, 2008 at 4:42 am

Sounded Funny…but now after looking at these parathas all i can think about is marching towards my kitchen and rolling out some wonderful parathas like this :-)
Will catch u later !

:-D …They did taste good , now go and start kneading :-)

13 Vaishali December 26, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Great job with your new site, Sunita. Parathas are a favorite fallback recipe in our home too- a quick way to rustle up something special. Yours look truly delicious.

Thanks Vaishali…glad you like my new home :-)

14 Cham December 26, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Move to ur own domain, that is cool! Parathas with root veg are a confort food… Wish you a Happy Holidays :)

Thank you Cham…happy holidays to you and yours too :-)

15 sushma December 27, 2008 at 6:44 am

Yummy sunita,, i too love these versatile breakfast. looks yum.

Thanks :-)

16 sra December 27, 2008 at 7:55 am

A very happy new year to you and your family, Sunita!

Thanks Sra…the same to you and yours too :-)

17 grace December 27, 2008 at 2:58 pm

what a lovely color! i imagine i could eat about 8 of your tasty parathas in record time. :)
happy holidays to you as well!

Thanks, Grace :-)

18 Ivy December 27, 2008 at 8:41 pm

Parathas sound delicious. Happy Holidays and wishing you a happy new year. May all your dreams come true.

Thanks dear Ivy…wishing you and your family the same :-)

19 Kevin December 30, 2008 at 2:03 am

Those look good! I have been wanting to try parathas for a while. They always sound good with the vegetables mixed in.

20 Sunita December 30, 2008 at 10:19 am

Thanks kevin…do give them a try :-)

21 Rupa Sengupta December 31, 2008 at 12:35 am

ooh “sounds” good…. ! I am in office right now .. so can’t see the images (unfortunately flickr etc are blocked in my office ) :(

But I can’t wait to try these ! Thanks for the recipe !

22 Sunita December 31, 2008 at 10:09 am

Thanks Rupa,
Do give them a try :-)

23 Lovliebutterfly January 19, 2009 at 12:35 am

Really nice! I’ve made pharatas with pulses before but never with vegetables. Interesting! I will try this!