Chicken sweetcorn soup…

by Sunita on March 28, 2007

This is my favourite soup…and the best that I’ve had so far was in a Chinese restaurant in Guwahati (my home town). Whenever I went to that restaurant, this would be the soup that I’d look for. The restaurant itself was a great one, and in fact all the other dishes were equally well prepared . In other words, it was a very popular haunt for lovers of Chinese cuisine in the city.

However, I was somewhat disappointed on our recent trip to India, when the same restaurant, which also held so many fond memories had somewhat not managed to live up to it’s standard. It was a visit after many years and I was really looking forward to it. Well, all good things do come to an end , I guess.

I made this soup during the weekend, and I must say was not disappointed with it.

Flesh of one small chicken
a small bowl of sweetcorn
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tblsp cornflour
1 tblsp butter
1 egg slightly beaten
salt and pepper to taste

Boil chicken and onion in 2 litres of water till the chicken is very tender. Strain the stock and keep it aside.

Shred the chicken and remove the bones

Add chicken to the stock and cook on low heat for 10 minutes

Mix cornflour in a little water and add to the soup, stirring briskly.

Add seasoning and butter.

Add the beaten egg and stir gently. Add the shredded chicken, bring to a boil, and remove from heat.

Serve hot. Although I prefer it as it is, a seasoning of soy sauce and finely minced green chillies soaked in vinegar may be added.

Enjoy!!

1 Cynthia March 28, 2007 at 6:14 pm

Sunita, this is my favourite Chinese soup. I fell in love with it too at my favourite Chinese restaurant in Guyana. The server knew me so well that everytime I visited he would say, “the usual to start?”

2 sunita's world March 28, 2007 at 7:14 pm

Cynthia, that was a nice one…

3 Asha March 28, 2007 at 8:30 pm

Hi Sunita,soup looks yummy.I love Egg swirls in there.Simple and delicious,thank you .

4 sunita's world March 29, 2007 at 9:31 am

Oh yes, Asha,this soup is yummy, at least for me…I love it…quick to make as well…

5 Sharmi March 30, 2007 at 1:41 pm

hi Suni, I love sweet corn soup. Tastes divine. I never made soups from scratch. always brought the ready-made ones. now will try yours.except for the chicken as I dont eat meat.

cheers
sharmi

6 sunita's world March 30, 2007 at 1:53 pm

Sharmi,nothing can rival homemade dishes…do give this a try…does’nt take that much time at all.

7 Shella December 21, 2007 at 8:52 am

Hey sunita – this is my all time favorite soup tooo. I just adore the flavors of the corn, chicken all together!!

8 priyanka August 15, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Thanks for your wonderful recipes. i have tried few of your recipes and it tastes awesome. I wanna try the soups , in all the recipes i see that you have mentioned about the vegetable/chicken stock, could you please suggest a good brand?

Thanks!