Orange, cornmeal and poppy seeds cupcakes

by Sunita on January 28, 2009

The weather is still continuing its gloomy self – the sun tucked away behind the grey clouds and raindrops pitar – pattered down the windowpanes. Indoors, you can look at the raindrops and even spin up a verse about it’s beauty, but when you step outside and the wind lashes the rain against your face, the umbrella turned upwards, the verses go out of the head, especially when you have an important appointment to keep. The weather lady has promised a brighter tomorrow, we shall have to wait and see, fingers and toes crossed!

The following orange, cornmeal and poppy seeds cupcakes were made a couple of days ago.

Although I have used poppy seeds quite a few times in my cooking, it has always been the whiter variety. This time when I found some darker ones in the local whole foods shop, I picked up a small pack without anything particular in mind and when I got down to making the cupcakes, I threw a couple of tablespoons to the batter. And i must say, we did enjoy the bite they gave the cupcakes.

Grated zest of one orange

1/2 C of whole wheat flour (atta)

1/2 C of coarse cornmeal

1 and 3/4 tsp baking powder

2 and 1/2 tblsp of black poppy seeds

6-7 tblsp of sunflower/vegetable oil

5 tblsp of honey

2 eggs

1. Preheat the oven at 180 deg C and line a cupcake tray.
  2. Place the zest, flour, cornmeal, baking powder and poppy seeds in a bowl. Rub together the ingredients with fingertips till everything is mixed well together.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and honey.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and tip in the egg mixture. Fold in with a rubber spatula till everything is moistened.
  5. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3rds of the way ( I got 8) . Place the tray in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for about 17-19 minutes or till the cupcakes are golden and a toothpick inserted through the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean.
  6. Cool in the tray for a minute and transfer to a rack to cool completely.

We loved these mildly sweet cupcakes with the crackle of the seeds.

The orange flavour was quite subtle, I might add just a little more zest next time.

1 Asha January 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm

You are on a roll girl, baking cookies, cakes, bread and now cup cakes. ADOPT ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks fabulous, black poppy seeds look stunning.

2 Sunita January 29, 2009 at 7:56 am

Adopt you!! Why, that would be an honour…imagine all those glorious thalis I can request you to make :-D

3 Rupa Sengupta January 29, 2009 at 3:28 am

wow ! This sounds so yummy ….

4 Sunita January 29, 2009 at 7:47 am

Thanks Rupa :-)

5 Shreya January 29, 2009 at 5:38 am

such lovely cupcakes, your pictures are beautiful..so sad you have to keep appointments in the bad weather! staying indoors is the best during the rains, especially if you have wonderful food waiting for you:-)

6 Sunita January 29, 2009 at 7:53 am

Thanks Shreya :-)

7 rajani January 29, 2009 at 11:12 am

wow, they look moist and super tasty. i love the poppy seeds in them!!

8 Sunita January 29, 2009 at 10:55 pm

We loved the crackle too :-)

9 Happy Cook January 29, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I think i should stop comming hre, every time i come here, i am bokmaking recipes.
I just bought black poppy seeds as i have been wanting to make bagels.
I guess i am going to make this one of these days too.
Last week i went out with my umbrella in the bad weather andit just flew away and i was running back of it, to grab the umbrella.

10 Sunita January 29, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Oh no! Do keep coming HC, it’s always nice to see you here :-)

As for going out in the bad weather…:-(

11 Meeta January 29, 2009 at 1:49 pm

if you adopt asha then please me too! lol! this looks great! love the use of cornmeal and poppy seeds!

12 Sunita January 29, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Asha and now you!! I must have done someyhing good somewhere…lol! What a grand life that would be for me..I better make a list of all your best dishes ;-) LOL!!

13 Priya January 29, 2009 at 2:44 pm

These cupcakes sound yummy! I bought some oranges last weekend and have been using the zest in everything I’ve made this week :) )) They seem to brighten up everything :D I have those white poppy seeds too, but never used them in anything other gravy dishes. Could they be used in baking ?

14 Priya January 29, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Wat a gorgeous cupcakes with poppy seeds…love the addition of cornmeal, i recently start baking with cornmeal n really enjoying baking with them…delicious cupcakes, Cute they r!!!

15 Soma January 29, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Oh Boy ! u do bake a lot:-) I love the crunch of the poppy seeds & anything orange anywhere. beautiful pictures esp. that empty cup:-)

16 Hayley January 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Poppyseed bread has always been a favorite of mine. I’d never thought to turn it into cupcakes. Thanks for sharing!

17 Namratha January 29, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Very nice Sunita, Ive never tried muffins with whole wheat flour, should do that sometime! :)

18 Alka January 29, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Awesome recipe,amazing captures….never ever tried black poppy seeds ,but i do throw white ones very often into gravies ,desserts etc.
This looks so temptingly delicious :-)

19 snookydoodle January 29, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Great I ve just got the right amount of poppyseeds left and some cornmeal I need to use. These look great :)

20 MKuborn January 30, 2009 at 12:30 am

am i the only one who doesnt get why there is only a cup of flour total or am i dumb and dont get what ‘c’ stands for… help

21 Sunita January 30, 2009 at 6:40 am

No, you’re not dumb at all…your assumptions are perfect…you do not need any more than that :-)

22 CurryLeaf January 30, 2009 at 1:46 am

Love love love the cup cakes.I do not like oranges as such,but try to use them in baking.I love this combo of cornmeal and orange with poppyseeds,

23 Sunita January 30, 2009 at 6:41 am

Thanks CL…the combo did work well :-)

24 Xiaolu January 30, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Those look AMAZING…and I was just looking for ways to use up the poppy seeds I bought. I’ll have to try these soon. Also, do you think black poppyseeds can be used when indian recipes call for white poppyseeds? Thanks!